Is it possible/necessary to use DAS and Genie+?

AC7179

Registered
My mom has cognitive/memory issues. We got a DAS for her at WDW last May in what she deemed "her last trip." Happily, we had a wonderful trip and we are going to Disneyland in March! We used DAS in May and she had a great time. I'm hoping we can do the same for Disneyland. We used the DAS in WDW largely bc FP wasn't available. She can't wait in long lines well because she gets agitated and doesn't remember why we are waiting. I'm not sure if Genie plus would work well enough or if DAS would work well enough or if we should do both? We don't have to tour the park like crazy people, but she can do about four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening and we'd like to do as much as she can handle, but it would be okay if we don't get everything done---really just trying to enjoy the time together. We are staying at the GCH for extra ease for her as well.

My mom has cognitive/memory issues. We got a DAS for her at WDW last May in what she deemed "her last trip." Happily, we had a wonderful trip and we are going to Disneyland in March! We used DAS in May and she had a great time. I'm hoping we can do the same for Disneyland. We used the DAS in WDW largely bc FP wasn't available. She can't wait in long lines well because she gets agitated and doesn't remember why we are waiting. I'm not sure if Genie plus would work well enough or if DAS would work well enough or if we should do both? We don't have to tour the park like crazy people, but she can do about four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening and we'd like to do as much as she can handle, but it would be okay if we don't get everything done---really just trying to enjoy the time together. We are staying at the GCH for extra ease for her as well.

My husband also has cognitive and memory issues due to a brain injury. We just did 2 days at Disneyland in December, all park passes were gone so it was a pretty busy weekend and we only used the DAS pass. It worked out great, I didn't feel the need for Genie plus at all. Have you used the DAS since they updated it and you can book all of your passes on the app? It is sooo nice.

I believe they send you through the LL (former Fast Pass) entrance with rides that have it when using DAS. Since G+ is also using that lane now, it definitely won't be as quick as it was pre-G+. Of course it will still be typically quicker than standby, just possibly not as quick as before.

My husband also has cognitive and memory issues due to a brain injury. We just did 2 days at Disneyland in December, all park passes were gone so it was a pretty busy weekend and we only used the DAS pass. It worked out great, I didn't feel the need for Genie plus at all. Have you used the DAS since they updated it and you can book all of your passes on the app? It is sooo nice.

Thank you! No, we used it last May at WDW and we still had to go to the ride and scan our Magic Bands for a pass. But she didn't have to be there for that so my son in law ran ahead most times. It was so nice that we could find a quiet spot and enjoy a drink or something not super stimulating before an attraction! It was a blessing for us. Also, I had to be very careful in my wording talking to the Guest Services CM (my mom is okay with saying she has memory issues, not so much with the word dementia), so I was able to write it down, ask the CM to be discreet, and talk around it and I can't say enough good things on how they made a sensitive topic comfortable for my Mama!

Thank you! No, we used it last May at WDW and we still had to go to the ride and scan our Magic Bands for a pass. But she didn't have to be there for that so my son in law ran ahead most times. It was so nice that we could find a quiet spot and enjoy a drink or something not super stimulating before an attraction! It was a blessing for us. Also, I had to be very careful in my wording talking to the Guest Services CM (my mom is okay with saying she has memory issues, not so much with the word dementia), so I was able to write it down, ask the CM to be discreet, and talk around it and I can't say enough good things on how they made a sensitive topic comfortable for my Mama!
Oh you'll love the new system, it's so much easier. As soon as you scan into a ride you can hop right on the app and get your next return time. No running back and forth across the parks. And I totally understand, my husband is only 41 but his memory is awful and he has difficulty with the concept of time. He also gets overstimulated easily. I think he gets kind of embarrassed asking for this service too, because he looks young and healthy, and physically he is totally fine, but the cast members have been fantastic about it whenever we have applied. I know there is a way to do it online as well through a chat and they will help set up passes for you ahead of time, but he really isn't able to do it without me helping him and we both work during the day so the timing is tough. So we just still go to guest services when we start our trips to get it all set up.

We just recently went and used DAS, Genie+ and ILL.

We liked having the advanced DAS passes. Where DAS shined for us was the non Genie+ Rides, We would sign up for a Genie+ and DAS and were able to take our Son who is ASD on multiple rides as a result. Any ride with a wait over 30 minutes we would use in order Genie+, ILL then DAS. Since one of his obsessions is Spider-Man we both paid for ILL and used DAS to ride Webslingers twice a day. They can all be used in combination and if you have a loved one for whom the lines are a challenge this a great way to get them through the park. I was appreciative of being able to use all three when needed. We tried to rope drop the non Genie+ rides so i the end we used the DAS on limited basis.

We will be heading to Disneyland this year as well, we will be using the DAS pass and probably buying 2-3 LL passes for the most popular rides to try to maximize our time.

I just got back from DL using DAS in December for 4 days and Thursday/Friday of last week. I don't personally feel the need to buy Genie+ but I have twice purchased ILL for Webslingers to condense time at DCA with park hopping. If I didn't have a hopper, that wouldn't be needed. We also use a wheelchair, so being able to 'stack' Location Return times for those not accessible at Disneyland with the DAS times makes it easy. Thursday 1/13/22 felt the busiest of my recent 6 park days. Our December trip felt more congested, but wait times seemed higher on Thursday, despite feeling like there were fewer crowds. I contribute this to Haunted Mansion and Splash being on refurb, combined with several E ticket rides being down around lunch time. The park hours were also the shortest that day, which just meant more and more overlap of people throughout the day.

Definitely plan to do the advance registration for DAS. This will save you SO much time. Like others have said, you can get the 2 pre-selected attractions set up and it is independent of your in park selections. We were able tot ride Rise of the Resistance 3 times on Friday, as well as Radiator Springs Racers twice and Webslingers all with the DAS alone.

My older son uses a DAS due to his ASD. It worked well for us in November before Genie+ was rolled out. On our next trip, I think we will also get Genie+ for the rides DS does not go on. For example, he won't go on IncrediCoaster or Guardians, but others in our family love those rides. DH and younger DS could use Genie+ for those rides rather than waiting in stand-by. Also, older DS and I usually leave the parks a few hours before the other guys. It would be nice for them to have the benefit of Genie+ after we leave since they would be on their own without the DAS.

I am curious about this also. We have only been to WDW and that was before Genie+. We would get DAS for my son with ASD and use that along with our fast passes. I was going to purchase Genie+ for our trip to Disneyworld in April but I'm hearing in my facebook group it is unnecessary with DAS. Can anyone confirm if this is true, do we not need both?

We just recently went and used DAS, Genie+ and ILL.

We liked having the advanced DAS passes. Where DAS shined for us was the non Genie+ Rides, We would sign up for a Genie+ and DAS and were able to take our Son who is ASD on multiple rides as a result. Any ride with a wait over 30 minutes we would use in order Genie+, ILL then DAS. Since one of his obsessions is Spider-Man we both paid for ILL and used DAS to ride Webslingers twice a day. They can all be used in combination and if you have a loved one for whom the lines are a challenge this a great way to get them through the park. I was appreciative of being able to use all three when needed. We tried to rope drop the non Genie+ rides so i the end we used the DAS on limited basis.

how did time overlaps work? So if you had a DAS pre did it block getting a DAS day of? Same question about with DAS blocking ILL?

Can I piggy back on your question?

Can you still use DAS for the same ride, multiple times a day? I know with LLs and Genie+ you can only use it for each ride once a day. Hoping it isn't like that with DAS now.

how did time overlaps work? So if you had a DAS pre did it block getting a DAS day of? Same question about with DAS blocking ILL?

DAS will not effect ILL. Although with a DAS you don't need to purchase ILLs. The DAS can be used for those rides too.

You cannot hold 2 DAS return times at the same time for the same ride, so if you preselected a ride and hold a DAS for it, you cannot get another DAS for that ride until you have scanned in for that ride.

At least one of you might want Genie + for the photopass that is included or if someone really wants to ride something the DAS holder doesn't want to ride that usually has long standby lines​

DAS will not effect ILL. Although with a DAS you don't need to purchase ILLs. The DAS can be used for those rides too.

You cannot hold 2 DAS return times at the same time for the same ride, so if you preselected a ride and hold a DAS for it, you cannot get another DAS for that ride until you have scanned in for that ride.

when i searched the list of DAS rides none of the LL rides came up? is this different in the parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter