• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it OK to put my phone number on the back of magic band

airplane

DIS Veteran
Can I write my phone number with a sharpie on the back of the magic band? DD4 is having a hard time remembering my phone number. Also if heaven for bid any of my kids get lost can a CM look up my information with their magic band? ( instead of using the tattoos, dog tags, or any of the other methods mentioned on the DIS)

We did and it stayed on for most of our trip. I think I went over it around day 7 or 8. Actually had enough room to put both mine and my husband's numbers.

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, so sorry if it is a repeat, but besides the phone number thing, and recognizing a cast member, teach them to find something to go to immediately if they get separated from you. We taught my daughter, who was also 4, to find a trash can since they are placed every 30 feet inside the parks. We figured 1. it gave us all a point of reference and 2. it seemed safer than telling her to just go find a cast member. We never had to worry if it would have worked in that situation (thank goodness!) but she did remember the rule very well and pointed out trashcans all over the place lol

Yes, some CM's can look up party information on your child's MB and call you that way, but having it written on is probably quicker. (Not all CM's have the equipment with them to be able to scan a band.)

If you haven't used MB's with your little ones before, what I would suggest most of all is retainer slides for the Magic Band. The MB can feel sticky against the skin, and IME, young kids will often try to take them off. (The cloth band covers were great for kids, but unfortunately, they are not sold anymore due to the changed band shape) You can get retainer rings on Etsy, and if you are an AP holder you can get an AP-branded retainer at Guest Services for free, but best deal for a bulk purchase is Amazon, just search for "Fitbit silicone fastener".

If you have tidy handwriting and a fine-point Sharpie, you can also write the number on the retainer ring you put on, and that doesn't have to be turned over to be read.

Another option is to write it on the back of a Disney button in Sharpie. We did this for our kids, because they love wearing the buttons at the parks, and we didn't want to chance the Sharpie rubbing off the MagicBand.

Just keep in mind that the CM can not remove the MB, button or look "inside clothing" so make sure your child will be able to take it off and show the CM. We used a Disney theme "pet/luggage/id" tag engraved at one of the gift shops and attached it to the shoe. It was obvious enough for a CM to understand what it was and easy for the CM to take a look at this without touching the child or removing anything.

Each visit to WDW, I have written my phone number on the outside of the band in permanent Sharpie. I don't care that it changes the look of the band. My preference is for my number to be easily seen by anyone trying to help if DS gets separated (which he never has). I've never had any issue with the number rubbing off or fading from getting wet. I've read others who have covered their numbers with clear nail polish.

We did and it stayed on for most of our trip. I think I went over it around day 7 or 8. Actually had enough room to put both mine and my husband's numbers.

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, so sorry if it is a repeat, but besides the phone number thing, and recognizing a cast member, teach them to find something to go to immediately if they get separated from you. We taught my daughter, who was also 4, to find a trash can since they are placed every 30 feet inside the parks. We figured 1. it gave us all a point of reference and 2. it seemed safer than telling her to just go find a cast member. We never had to worry if it would have worked in that situation (thank goodness!) but she did remember the rule very well and pointed out trashcans all over the place lol

Couldn't agree more. Recognizing the difference between cast member and stranger is key.

A few lessons I teach my kids (8,5):
1) I also tell them never to leave the park with anyone, even a cast member. Stay at a store or restaurant with the cast member, and tell them names/numbers if asked.
2) If my kids get separated together, I teach them to stay together and not to let anyone separate them.
3) If someone tries to do something they don't like, or that violates the other above rules, it is the one time they are authorized to throw a loud fit without getting in trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter