Is it miserable or enjoyable?

We have never been to Disney World in Summer. We know it’s hot and humid, but the question is, is does the misery overwhelm the magic? I know part of it is mindset.

We are northerners and still enjoy it. We’d go at rope drop. Do the popular rides until 1ish. Have lunch (air conditioning) and then do the easy walk in shows that are air conditioned with no lines. A little planning and it’s not bad at all.

I teach, so we mostly go in the summer. I really don't know anything different. We get to the parks early and leave when it starts to get hot and hit the pool. We hit up a dinner reservation (usually in the same park) and go back in the evening. We've been doing this with our kids since they were 4 and they're 11.5 now and we've always enjoyed.

That being said, we went in Dec. for a 3 day trip and it was nice to walk around with a light sweater. But we missed being able to jump in a pool and come home with a nice tan. There's something about Disney and their pools.

Was at Epcot yesterday, man, it was toasty. As long as you have a cool towel draped around you and you drink plenty of water and use the 11am-5pm hours to do mostly shows or indoor queued attractions, you'll be fine, but if you CAN go another time of the year, then yea might as well do that because there is no reason to experience Disney during the 90 degree+ 100% humidity days.

Btw, at Epcot just yesterday, I watched 3 people drop from the heat on 3 separate occasions. Medics and security were called in each time. 2 were children, and 1 was an older woman. If I myself saw 3 people drop in one day, then I assume more also did. It's definitely not for those who are unprepared for the heat.

Last edited:

Btw, at Epcot just yesterday, I watched 3 people drop from the heat. Medics and security were called in. 2 were children, and 1 was an older woman. If I myself saw 3 people drop, then I assume more also did. It's definitely not for those who are unprepared for the heat.

It's definitely no joke. My mom (she's in her 60s) fainted in Epcot from the heat one October day. It was scary. But I've never seen such a great response from CM's - we were immediately surrounded by Disney employees (some in business-type attire, no idea where they popped up from!) and EMS came quickly. I guess they are well-prepared for this situation because it probably happens often.

We have never been to Disney World in Summer. We know it’s hot and humid, but the question is, is does the misery overwhelm the magic? I know part of it is mindset.
I just remember when I was a kid we went in July and went back to our hotel. I don't remember being miserable - just that it was the best day. I have gone in September as an adult but that was the closest to 'summer'.

We were there once in august, vowed never again. It was so humid, we walk out of the a/c and immediately be covered in sweat. Strictly a winter visitor now.

No more summer trips. We live in Oklahoma and it gets hot and humid here bit staying out in ot for hours at a time is completely different.

????

Yes, if someone considered Oklahoma "humid", then they may certainly find Summers miserable in Orlando. Relative humidity in Oklahoma during Summer is ~60%.

Last edited:
????

Yes, if the anyone considered Oklahoma is "humid", then they may certainly find Summers miserable in Orlando. Relative humidity in Oklahoma during Summer is ~60%.
Well, I've lived here for 16 years and never took the time to check the exact number. Thanks for....I don't know....being perplexed at my stupidity? Pointing out my failure to know exact numbers? Trying to make me feel like an idiot for comparing?

Whatever you want to call it, your quadruple ???? were maddeningly unhelpful and quite unnecessary.

We do hit an average 79% in May, though. :)

Last edited:
We just got back from a June trip but we have gone in August several times. It will be extremely hot and humid but there are things you can do. Bring some type of mini fan. I have tried many different kinds and my favorite this last trip were the ones you hang on your neck that have two little fans you can move to blow on face and neck. The cheap ones work just as well. Utilize a cooling towel. Don't skimp on this one. Wear wicking clothes. For me that's at least shirts/tank tops and underwear. Tennis shoes are hot and difficult to dry if caught in rain shower. If you can go without a bag that helps too. I put my magic band around arm of my neck fan. We stayed on property so I used my magic band for in park purchases. Put my phone in my shorts pocket. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Take breaks in afternoon. We did pool breaks. It's definitely doable. Any day in Disney is a fabulous one.

Local here..

You have to plan for more breaks and stay hydrated lots and lots of water and sports drinks ... Sun Screen is a must... Lighter weight and in color, and breathable clothing... Something for things like the "chub rub" this effects both women and men all shaped and size's, comfortable shoes, 2 pairs at least if one gets wet... Rain Jacket or ponchos... If you have kids you really need to watch them for dehydration... make them drink water, sports drinks... Stay with lighter meals, heavy and hearty meal mid day will not set well at all... Good Deodorant just sayin....

You can do it, you just need to pace yourself..

Last edited:
I am bringing a neck fan , hat, and cool clothes and taking it easy when I go next month. I been to Disney twice so it's not like it's my first time and I am in a rush to see and do everything in one go. Like other have said, drink water, do as many indoor rides, shows, and resturants as possible, and go back in the evening when the sun sets. Magic Kingdom will be open til 11PM soon so that helps.

My first time to Disney World in 2015 was mid June and it was manageable. My second time was in 2017 and that was in late August/ early September (labor day weekend to be exact). Again, it was hot but not miserable. I live in Virginia and our summers can get pretty toasty so maybe I have just gotten use to it. Or fall and winters are random as well. Like 88 degrees on Christmas day and 45-50 degrees the next day lol. Plus, I just now how long I can be in the heat before I need to take a break (knowing your personal limits when it comes to heat).

Last edited:
Local here..

You have to plan for more breaks and stay hydrated lots and lots of water and sports drinks ... Sun Screen is a must... Lighter weight and in color, and breathable clothing... Something for things like the "chub rub" this effects both women and men all shaped and size's, comfortable shoes, 2 pairs at least if one gets wet... Rain Jacket or ponchos... If you have kids you really need to watch them for dehydration... make them drink water, sports drinks... Stay with lighter meals, heavy and hearty meal mid day will not set well at all... Good Deodorant just sayin....

You can do it, you just need to pace yourself..

Op to the above, just adding in something else..

If you have or someone in your party has allergies, sinus issues, asthma, or other breathing related problems. Talk to your doctor before coming. I have allergies, sinus problems, and asthma... I make sure to take my asthma med's without fail, and use my inhaler before leaving the house during the summer months, this way everything is open, and makes breathing much easier... as well as before bed. As well while I hate nose spray, it does help in some instance's... Look at the pollen count, certain things blooming that your not aware of or not familiar with, Have a plan in place..

One person's miserable is another person's tolerable.
We will never EVER do WDW in summer months. It's just not worth it.
Going when it's pleasant outside completely changes the experience. We walk around thinking "this is so nice!" and to not have to worry about heat and humidity is fantastic.

I can not imagine people doing this with masks on, yet read plenty of accounts of it being no big deal. For me it would be.
You have to know your tolerance. It's easy to think you can handle it when you're sitting at home and comfy.

We go every July now (used to go for Thanksgiving, until the first week in Dec-- those were the days--- weather perfect, CP, holidays, etc) -- but cant take the kids out of school anymore) --- so, we go Mid-July now
Only part of summer in Disney that we've sworn off is late August- around Labor day===. that was unbearable !!!

Honestly, we live in NYC, and the summers aren't much better--- hot and humid as heck !! Would rather sweat with the Mouse !!!

echoing what everyone else said--if summer is the only time you CAN go, then you don't really have much choice than to endure the heat..ya know?
We went over labor day in 2020 and it wasn't the best. We came ready with fans, neck towels, looooads of water, and it just wasn't fun at times. We started getting a bit irritable at each other (much quicker than normal)

our clothes were drenched almost immediately after walking around. and although we wouldn't take breaks back at the resort, we aren't newbies. We would seek indoor attractions, always had reservations for meals, etc.

i traveled in July of 2019 and was in a wheelchair due to a last minute sports injury and remember just sitting in queues outside in poools of sweat.

To me the summer was no different then the spring. Only rained once on my July trip a few years ago. Yea it’s hot but it’s the summer, it’s hot everywhere. Crowds were never an issue due to fast pass ( let you know how that goes this time :( )

I’ve never went when it was cool out so can’t give that perspective

Mind you I usually only go with adults and not children.

We did late August four times when our kids were younger and parks were open til midnight and later... we loved it. It was hot in Jersey so we were fine with the heat and staying OP made afternoon breaks easy. I think there is a lot to consider now. Parks close at 9:00 and a midday break is a must in August so you are going to have less park time. You need to stay OP and consider travel times... I would still go if that was the only month that worked for my family.

Five of my six trips have been in the summer. The sixth trip was in October. It was still hot in October. My sister's family went in December and sent me a text wanting to know how I stood the heat in the summer! You just have to go knowing it will be hot, you will be sweating before you even get to your transportation, it will rain at least once on your trip so pack those ponchos, there will be lines, your feet will hurt. Always carry water & fans/misters, go to indoor attractions to cool off, take a mid-day break at your hotel if you can. You have to decide whether or not it's worth it to you, but it's always been worth it for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter