• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it miserable or enjoyable?

Weather has become a huge factor for us in planning our trips. We've been at almost every time of year and experienced all weather conditions from 95+ degrees to torrential downpours to 40 degrees and everything in between. We'd much rather contend with larger crowds during busier times of year if the weather is statistically better, if the alternative is to go in September when its low crowds but hot, wet, and humid.

I still think its quite worth it to go and make the best of it if you can only go during undesirable weather. Even though its not our preference, I would still go then if it was our only choice.

We have done summer trips quite a bit with a teacher in the family. It’s not ideal if you suffer in the heat, but follow some common sense advice and it is bearable. I know my tolerance limit and will take it easy when I’ve reached it. We try not to eat heavy foods and use the heat as a fine excuse for frozen treats! Hydration is vital as well. I enjoy all of our Disney trips, but cooler months are much more my speed!

We have never been to Disney World in Summer. We know it’s hot and humid, but the question is, is does the misery overwhelm the magic? I know part of it is mindset.
It can if ya let it! Just always remember where you are.

When we first started going we always went in Aug. just before school started up again. We are from Georgia so the heat is pretty similar to home. We would go back to the room for a swim/nap some afternoons but not always. Now, I tend to go April/May, Sept. and Dec. Sept. is pretty much like August, hot, rainy, humid but I just go with it. I've never enjoyed it more or less any given time of the year. Disney is Disney and that is home and a little bit of pixie dust for me.

We would never go to Disney in June/July/August. Disney is mostly outdoors, paved sidewalks and involves a LOT of walking, waiting in line, etc. No amount of water is going to make it any more pleasant. It just isn't enjoyable when it is so hot you don't really feel like walking around in the sun all day long. We enjoy the Spring or Fall much better. Even if you are from a part of the country that is hot in the summer, I doubt you do your most strenuous outdoor activities at home when it is that hot.

We have done lots of trips in the summer. Only once did I vow never again. I can't really pinpoint what was so different, except it just felt like there were way more sweaty grumpy strangers in my space. The crowd level didn't feel any different, just the energy everyone was putting off. I just felt it and it was like everywhere we went.

The heat will definitely affect you. It wears you out so drink plenty of water and be okay with giving yourself breaks during the day.

We are generally summer visitors as my wife and I both work in public schools, and limited to late July because my wife is an administrator. July in Disney can be brutal when that sun is beating down on you all day, then you get the 30 minute downpour followed by sun, increasing the humidity astronomically. I was just there in April and couldn’t believe how cool it was in the morning and evening, though it did get into the 90s most days we were there.

I would say if you are taking breaks, staying hydrated, and using as much air conditioning time as possible in the hotter parts of the day, it’s manageable. I also recommend if you are doing table service meals, do lunches instead of dinners to get you out of the sun for a good hour or so in the middle of the day.

We went the last week in August for years. I live in the Northeast and honestly didn't think it was any worse than at home. We get up early, do the parks for a few hours, spend the afternoon at the pool and go back at night.

I live in New Jersey and would agree. I go several times a year and once is always in the summer... I'll be there next month, in fact. Parks early, pools after lunch, nap LOL, then parks in the evening.

I have to say, there is nothing better than the pools on a really hot afternoon!

I think it is different for everyone. We live in Texas and are active during the day in the summers. So we really don't mind WDW in August which we've done many times. Our May trip was actually worse (my theory is that we hadn't had all summer to get used to being out in hot weather). We sometimes go back to the hotel to swim, but not always. Drink a lot of water, step into the a/c, stand in the shade. But for some people, the hot weather is unbearable and would ruin the trip. I would recommend trying something outdoors all day in the summer near where you live and seeing how you handle it.

We went in August and had a wonderful time. Remember, many of the rides, shows, and lines are inside with air conditioning. We also did a table service lunch each day to help cool down. We also brought water in stainless steel water bottles with ice from the hotel. The water stayed cold all day. We were definitely dripping in sweat but happy.

We've gone at all different times of the year. I will say that one thing we've noticed at Disney is that during peak crowds - we have a better experience. The bathrooms are cleaner, everything is fully staffed. The hours are longer - so you go earlier in the morning, take a break in the hottest part of the day, and return for magical evenings when it's cool and the parks are lit up.
While the weather was more pleasant in February - the park hours were shorter, it was too cold for swimming, and it just felt like we were missing out on the full park experience. We haven't been in the summer in a really long time - so ask me again after we go in late June ;)

I went in the summer (early June) once. That week was in the mid 90s, coupled in with the sun and humidity I was miserable. I vowed to never go back during the summer again. The next trip we went in early December, it got below average after dark while we were there (upper 30s) and mid 60s during the day. But I would take colder days anytime over the hot & humid ones. March weather though hit a sweet spot, mid 70s - 80s this last trip. But ya... I was miserable during the summer.

We have never been to Disney World in Summer. We know it’s hot and humid, but the question is, is does the misery overwhelm the magic? I know part of it is mindset.
You will get a variety of responses on this because everyone's heat tolerance is so varied. I think it depends on your overall expectations, how you mitigate the heat and your park planning schedule each day.

We live in the south and are from FL so summer heat and humidity from Orlando to SC is relatively the same. That being said, I don't hang out outdoors at home in the middle of July and walk 25K steps, so we don't do that in WDW in the summer either. We use a lot of heat leveraging tips like midday naps/pool breaks, lots of shows/shopping to escape the heat, book heat of the day ADRs so we have a guaranteed place to eat inside with AC, start early and go back to the parks later. We also know our cooler month visits look a bit different than our summer time visits. We don't love going in the summer but sometimes that's the only time that works and we just need our fix, so we go and we always love it and have a great time, is it any less/more magical than our cooler month, visits, no definitely not. All that to say, we've been every month in Summer except September and that's just because of school schedules. If I have to pick a summertime month that's "better" than another, we pick early June. It's hot but it's not full throttle hurricane season yet, not every school district is out just yet and it's not as humid as July-September. You will get rained on, which is sometimes enjoyable and you will sweat but it's all part of the central FL fun!

It really depends on how well someone can handle the humidity. The humidity and water weight feels like you are wearing a lead-lined suit.

If you live in a cooler climate, drier climate, mountain climate, or can't handle the humidity at home, I don't recommend WDW in the Summer. If coming from the East Coast, Gulf Coast, and Great Lakes, and if you can handle your own humidity in the Summer, then you'll be better prepped to tolerate Florida. You still have to plan time out of the heat to recover.

Last edited:
As a frequent local-ish visitor, I will say that I have noticed a big difference in guest behavior/attitude when it's brutally hot outside. Every fight I've seen break out among guests has been when the heat was nearly unbearable. It does drain on you, and can affect your mood, so you need to have a plan IMO. Plan for breaks. Plan for lots of hydration. Plan for sit down meals in AC. Plan for fans, cooling towels, hats, etc.

I often wonder if the rising tempers and frustrations are from people who are trying to do open-close, quick service meals, etc and it just wears them down?

(for me personally - my AP gets me in all summer long and I rarely, rarely go. And I live nearby.)

We just got back Saturday 6/5/21, after a week, and we vowed never again. We have visited during Memorial Day week before, but this year the holiday fell late on 5/31/21. The temps each day were 89 to 90 degrees, with high humidity. We stayed offsite at TownePlace Suites (Marriott) Flamingo Crossings, so we drove to the parks. There were no parking lot trams due to the pandemic, so this meant a long, hot walk to and from our car each time we visited a park. Slipping on a sweaty mask every time we entered a building or indoor queue got really old fast. Even with reduced capacity, the lines for popular attractions exceeded 30 minutes within an hour of park opening. The lack of live shows and fireworks was a letdown too. We won't be back until the pandemic restrictions are gone and the weather is much cooler.

It's doable for me. But then I live in Georgia. So the weather is about the same. I did find that it really helps me to have a table service restaurant break around 1pm (although I would do it later for Epcot since they don't open till 11am). I was able to really cool down and relax.
I'd do take a counter service food break around 7pm in the parks that are open later to give me that cool down and relax time too. Made a huge difference in July when I was there in July 2 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter