Is it me, or does Space 220 look a little underwhelming?

I have it in my mind as Coral Reef-esque; and I enjoy that.

I have a feeling that's what it's going to end up being like. I've never been to Coral Reef, but from what I've seen the location and theme looks great, especially as a marine bio/ocean fan. It seems like the food is what keeps most people away, which is a shame because I feel like it has a lot of potential to be one of the most popular restaurants in Epcot. So if the Space 220 food isn't great, I just don't see people coming, no matter what it looks like (which to me is a very 60's style lounge).

I think its biggest downfall is that it is in Epcot. Yes, it works well with Mission Space next door, but Epcot without a doubt has the best food and restaurants of all the parks. There is also just so many restaurants that there is already so much competition. I feel like this would have been a cool concept for Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom, especially since it arguable has some of the less exciting restaurants. Personally, with all the unique choices at Epcot this (so far) is not at the top of my list.

I know on the video I was also disappointed in the dining room itself, it was actually the carpet I was like 'Bleah' - how bland and boring that is. The windows look fine to me, the elevator looks awesome. The chairs and tables look straight out of restaurant surplus. The booths look cool. But am a bit concerned about us large guests with those chairs & booths and the mobility impaired entrance experience. Scooters are not fitting in the elevator.

The thing with carpet - why? I have carpet in my dining room (new when I bought), and if I could have gotten rid of that on day 1, I would have. As of now, when I redo that room, it's never coming back. Kids eating over carpet is like a disaster of grossness waiting to happen within a month...and Disney still does say they cater to families...

If the view in there to the outside is worth the price then we have a winner. If the view looks stupid the Vloggers will surely let us know during their opening day live feeds.

The thing with carpet - why? I have carpet in my dining room (new when I bought), and if I could have gotten rid of that on day 1, I would have. As of now, when I redo that room, it's never coming back. Kids eating over carpet is like a disaster of grossness waiting to happen within a month...and Disney still does say they cater to families...
I'm sure they have carpet for the sound dampening - otherwise it will sound like a high school cafeteria. I just wish it was a bit more... Space.

I think it was the carpet that really hit me. It seems like such a minor thing, but it immediately gave off the hotel conference room vibe to me, almost subconsciously.

If the view in there to the outside is worth the price then we have a winner. If the view looks stupid the Vloggers will surely let us know during their opening day live feeds.

Some Vloggers will some wont, we all know the ones that never say anything Disney does is bad and which ones will............

I have a feeling that there will be a lot more than just the look to sell the theme. Ambient sound, moving parts, etc. It will probably also be a preview of what will happen in the Star Wars experience.

I know on the video I was also disappointed in the dining room itself, it was actually the carpet I was like 'Bleah' - how bland and boring that is. The windows look fine to me, the elevator looks awesome. The chairs and tables look straight out of restaurant surplus. The booths look cool. But am a bit concerned about us large guests with those chairs & booths and the mobility impaired entrance experience. Scooters are not fitting in the elevator.

I agree about the carpet---- ick--- I dont know, I get a "Cosmic Ray's" on steroids vibe.

The type of seating is an indicator that this will be either a quick service or 1 pt TS eatery IMO.

I've been *very* hyped for Space 220.

I also *hate* spoilers, so I avoided seeing anything much about it. But when I saw that it's going to be a prix fixe menu, I knew I'd have to pay a ton to go. So I buckled and looked at the Instagram sneak peek.

And I was vaguely disappointed.

I'm not generally Mr. Critic, and I think we can be too fussy and negative about Disney efforts. But to be honest, this just seemed a lot less exciting than I imagined. The space elevator looks cool, but the interior of the restaurant itself looks... drab? I guess I imagined larger, more panoramic "windows." Somehow, they seem smaller in the video that they seemed in the concept art. The ceiling looks very common, average restaurntey, i.e. not like a space station. It seems like it should be more thoughtfully themed to create more immersion. The color palates, carpet, and chairs seem a bit dinner loungey? And the little floating astronauts sort of had the "figure floating in a pen" look.

I know that it's just a short instagram post, but it just doesn't seem to produce that suspension of disbelief "I'm floating in space in a spectacular space station" feel I envisioned and would make it worth coughing up $300 bucks or so for our party of four. I was hoping for spectacular and this is more... fine?

I know I'm sounding hyper critical, and I don't mean to be. But I guess my hype level exceeded what Space 220 actually looks like.

Is it just me, or did others come away a bit disappointed too?

Wow... yeah, watching that sneak peek and comparing it with the concept art is a disappointment. Totally agree with you.
IMHO, its a combination of the the carpet (I think specifically the pattern they chose) and the windows being smaller than the windows in the concept art.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter