Is it just me??

Mackey Mouse

Me read the Navigator? I don't
My daughter called me upset today she had read an article on msn about pancreatic cancer.

It was nothing I did not already know but when I read the article the writer's choice of words was horrifying to me..

I do not get it, why do we have to go for the sensationalism when people are battling for their lives..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655715 there has to be another way to give this story without using their choice of words..

*sigh*

yah ......people like to write sensationalism......instead of being able to express the views with class and sympathy........geesh.....

because it never happened to them and they have no concept or else don't care how it makes anyone else feel...like when they hound family members after some tragedy or replay horrific accidents( ie when challenger blew up or 9/11 planes crashing over and over and over)

sorry though, not a nice thing for you to read.

Dignity and respect don't sell ad space. Sensationalism does. :sad2:

Some random AP story on MSN doesn't count as a reliable source for news. That's like saying because World News Tonight and The National Enquirer Show are on the same channel they must both be reliable.

Dignity and respect don't sell ad space. Sensationalism does. :sad2:

Some random AP story on MSN doesn't count as a reliable source for news. That's like saying because World News Tonight and The National Enquirer Show are on the same channel they must both be reliable.

so you consider world news tonight unreliable?;) ..that is true though and i hadn't even thought of it

Hi Marsha,

I'm so sorry, that was really painful to read. You and your husband are always in my prayers. :grouphug:

Marsha :hug:
Painful and sensationalized choice of wording :sad2:

It's hard to balance isn't it? The need to be informed and realistic, with the even greater need and necessity to NEVER give up hope, to be strong and positive....to strive to be one of the ones that defies the statistics or at least keeps bumping those "averages" and numbers in the right direction.

((hugs)) and prayers.....

yah ......people like to write sensationalism......instead of being able to express the views with class and sympathy........geesh.....

I agree. . .it is both sad and unnecessary (the sensationalism). People like to hear positive things too! Mackey, here's a big hug for you - <BIG HUG> Sorry, I had to go back to edit and couldn't put the hug smiley on here!

Sorry your DD had to read this and how it has upset you both.

It's just not necessary for the sensationalism, and I chalk it up to ignorance on the part of the writer. If they ever had first hand experience, they would surely write another way.

I agree it's hard to balance the realistic vs the informed.

And perhaps the good from it all is the wonderful news about a drug that is working well. Hopefully the quality of life is maintained during the extra time.

:sad2: That is not a nice article at all- really painful to read :hug:

What a bunch of crap. I hate articles like that and I'm sorry it upset you and your daughter Marsha!!

My father has pancreatic cancer and had the surgery but in the article they don't mention what type of surgical procedure....they just keep saying surgery. He had the Whipple Procedure back in June, has undergone chemo and radiation and is doing okay.

I know of people who have lived 5, 10, 15 years after battling pancreatic cancer....but I don't see that in their report.

:grouphug: I guess the writer has never experienced cancer up close and personal with a loved one.

Marsha, I pray for your family daily.

:(

I'm sorry that article was written in such a way that it upset you and your DD Marsha.

Right now you need to be uplifted, not brought down. Next time that happens tell your DD to come hang out here on the C&C board and we will get her cheered up. :grouphug:

Ignorance

I hope your day has some laughs. You and your DD need a little pick me up after that article.

unfortunately the media goes for the drama. Like it isn't dramatic enough. Use the harshness route. IMO this is dribbling down to our young. I'm not speaking by any means of you DD. I just observe my own teenagers and their friends. They are GREAT kids....but drama is in the mix.

Maybe my prayers will include the media being alot more compassionate on their style of writing.

Prayers to you and your family.

Dee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter