Is it just me or is MDE more broken than usual lately?

fractalpotato

Mouseketeer
We were just in the World last week, and all week we had constant problems with FastPasses not showing up, errors when trying to book new ones, park maps not loading, wait times not loading and most annoyingly, our PhotoPass photos take days to show up. In fact, a set of really important to us photos is completely missing. It's been very frustrating!

Matt

I'm not in the parks but I tried to get on the app yesterday afternoon for an hour to check something out and had zero luck. We're at 11 days before we arrive. I can't imagine how frustrating this would be IN the parks!

You're not alone.... I'm 24 days out and hadn't received any shipment notification for my magic bands. They weren't showing up on MDE (since late January - even before my 180) and I'd called IT several times. They assured me the customization was OK and that they'd ship out. Well, I called back on Monday and they hadn't shipped and weren't even slated to ship out. The IT person had to manually override the system to get them out. I do finally have a tracking number and they should arrive by Saturday, but it was a PITA to deal with. And I think my son's magic band has our last initial (which it wasn't supposed to).

So I'm not holding my breath for a smooth MDE experience when I'm in the parks later this month.

Yep. I had a lot of issues with it on my July trip, and one day the entire FP+ system went down.

Now at home, and planning our next trip, everything shows up correctly on a web browser but the app rarely shows my latest updates. And weirdly enough, yesterday it was pulling up FP+ plans for dates we're not even going to be there.

I've had two problems with ADRs. The dining system part was down most of the day (3 days ago) and none of my changes were reflected in the system although I was getting the correct confirmation emails. Today, similar things are happening. I've modified my Sanaa dinner that I have for tonight and moved it to tomorrow but the app and webpage are not showing it. Confirmation email is correct though.

I just got off the phone was someone at Disney. It was the 2nd time I had to call in the last 2 weeks because someone in our party’s magic band & annual pass just disappeared from the site. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said the last few months they’ve been having a lot of problems with the site. So that’s not great. I do feel bad for the cms who have to field all the calls from unhappy future & current guests. That can not be fun.

We had major issues on our trip in May. Everything went perfectly until we got in the parks. Trying to make our 4th FP was a nightmare or trying to adjust anything. We would try to get our 4th FP and nothing would show up. Refresh and then some rides show up, refresh again and a totally different set of rides~ all within seconds of each refresh. It was so weird and frustrating. We were constantly refreshing trying to get another FP. The app was a nightmare the entire trip. Also had slow photo pass loads~ some pictures showed immediately and others would be the next morning~ at mwith panicking teenagers that the pictures they wanted weren't showing up.
We've never had that many issues with the app. It was extremely frustrating trying to get your FP after you used the third.

We had similar issues on our 10 day trip in early July. The site worked about 25% of the time.

I wrote a long, detailed email to WDW Guest Communications about it, got a call back, talked at length about our experiences, and received some goodwill compensation by way of a Disney GC.

I urge you to write to them, as they seemed really interested in my feedback and experience so they could forward them to the IT department. The guy I spoke to was not surprised to hear about the issues and was very apologetic.

Going in week and half... Haven't had any issues with account yet, hope it stays that way.
For the circus tricks Disney has created to go there, they'd better make sure it all works !

The app was a useless disaster for me last week. I gave up and used the TP wait time app for lines & my SILs phone to schedule more FP (she has an iPhone & I have a Samsung). Pictures took forever, especially ride ones - as in, our Splash ride picture from Saturday showed up on Tuesday and Thursday Slinky Dog finally showed up on Monday.

Is it possibly a hardware issue? I have an older iPhone and have been having issues with it, but I'm upgrading before we go next month. Wait, this month! I've noticed on my phone that the app doesn't like to work too well at all so I'm hoping that this will resolve some of the issues. (I was going to upgrade anyway, but I'm hoping that it will help in the parks.)

Is it possibly a hardware issue? I have an older iPhone and have been having issues with it, but I'm upgrading before we go next month. Wait, this month! I've noticed on my phone that the app doesn't like to work too well at all so I'm hoping that this will resolve some of the issues. (I was going to upgrade anyway, but I'm hoping that it will help in the parks.)
We had problems all week last week while in the park. Multiple users, multiple phones.

Wow, I didn't expect such a response to my rant post!

So, I've done a lot of research on the problems, mostly by doing something called a 'man-in-the-middle' attack. Attack is a bit of a misnomer, it's called such because it's often used for nefarious purposes, but really all it means is that I set up my wifi to run through a special piece of software on my laptop. I then configured my phone (and laptop web browser) to trust that software. This allows me to see the otherwise encrypted traffic being sent between the MDE app/web browser and Disney's server.

From there the reverse engineering began, a lot of stuff has really obvious naming schemes, so you can infer what's going on by reading the commands. In addition, I did a lot of things like search for a dining reservation or FastPass, then took notes on what commands were exchanged. This allowed me to start writing my own commands and testing the response. I learned a few things, primarily that their web service (the software that fields requests to MDE) appears to be awful. Every single time the app asks for something simple or benign, like "What FastPasses do I have?" the web service responds with a ton of excess information. Not only does it send you the list of passes, it sends you the list of rides, the list of the rides operating hours, a lot of underlying internal identifiers for the rides, the GPS coordinates of the rides, encoded versions of the little pictures the app shows, all kinds of things. This, at a glance doesn't seem so bad, after all these are all things the app could need to show you. The problem is, it sends it all every time. Which is why it's so slow, and also why it tends to be heavy on data and battery usage! A properly designed application would send them once, if the requesting device indicated it had need for them. In an ideal case, your phone would know which rides it has data for and which it needs data for and could ask only for information that it needs. It can even say "I have information on Small World as of last week, is it up to date?" and only get data if it's stale. This is called caching and is the workhorse of the modern web. MDE seems to be designed to not take advantage of caching at all.

So that explains the slowness and heaviness of it all, but not why it doesn't tend to work well. For that, I also noticed many operations were done as a series of commands, however these commands were done without any indication of what step of the process they were on. I also noticed if you jumbled the order, it not only didn't work, but it tended to do wacky things, or just nothing, with no error message. The web service appears to rely on assumptions on the state of the users device and if something happens to make it go out of sync, it all falls to pieces. Another symptom of this is the way it will sporadically make you log in again, that's the server giving up and trying to get you to start over, but it tries to mask it by storing a cookie of what you were trying to do so it doesn't seem broken, but that often causes it to preserve the out of sync state that broke it in the first place. This explains a lot of the weirdness and why things like Incognito windows solve the problem. Private/Incognito windows automatically force your browser to start from square one and force the process to a known state. In addition, they don't preserve state so when you close and reopen them you start all over again. This mitigates the symptoms without solving the problem.

As far as the remaining problems, my theory for those is that the code is just poorly written, there is a lot of evidence of poor technique and practice in what I've looked at so far. In some cases, when I sent some requests in the wrong order by accident, very low level error messages that implied private information about the underlying software came spewing out. This is frankly terrifying, and if I did such a thing at my job I would likely be fired. All in all, the MDE software displays a startling lack of polish and technique and I'm very disappointed and surprised that Disney would put their name on something so poorly made. I would be absolutely embarrassed and appalled to call this my work and wouldn't even list it on a resume.

Matt

No. It is the app/website, not user tech related.

No. It is the app/website, not user tech related.

This is completely true, however due to the massive inefficiencies I cited in my last post, older hardware can be more susceptible to performance problems. That shouldn't make it less functional, the things that don't load or work is not user tech related, but it can be even slower and more frustrating on older tech.

That said, I wouldn't recommend upgrading a phone for anything MDE related, it's still going to be pretty terrible, maybe just slightly faster.

Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter