Is it imperative to rent and stay at a DVC property prior to purchasing?

If you decide not to stay prior to buying, you might end up selling and buying the resort that you end up loving. We bought BLT pre-sale and ended up not really being excited about owning there. Stayed at VB, not for us. At HH now, not for us. Own AKV, never stay there. VGF, BWV, and CC cabins are our favorites.

I would recommend at least touring a resort. I had heard great things about BW, but when we Skylinered over there from CBR one night, it ended up being a big disappointment (this was just a few months ago, so I know some things were still closed). A few days earlier, we had taken the boat to the Poly to look around, have Dole Whip, and go to Trader Sam's. Loved the Poly so much more, even though online/in the information DVC sent out, I was always looking at the Boardwalk or Copper Creek. After dining at Riviera, I'm surprised I like it more than I thought I would, too.

Decor can change, restaurants can change, but location can’t. With that in mind, I would NOT buy into OKW, SS or AK because there is no real 11 month home resort advantage owning there…I would also not buy Poly because of the lack 1 and 2 bedrooms. That leaves GF, BLT and WLVs as your MK options and BCV, BWV and RIV as your Epcot options. Personally, I would get a BLT contract (walk to MK, variety of room/point options, extra bath in larger units,2060 expiration) and either BCV (smaller and harder to book so you’ll need the home advantage) or RIV (IF you like the SkyLiner - I do not) So in a nut shell - my opinion - I would base my decision on location, need for home resort booking advantage and variety of room and point options…

Which ones ended up "meh"?

Unless you're just curious, the answer won't necessarily help you make your choice at all. What someone else thinks, "meh" factor, doesn't actually mean squat for anyone else unless it's someone you know well and often agree with on the aesthetics/niceties.

I really think the emotional impact can almost count more than non-financial considerations like location or spaciousness. That is--Does the resort have "feel-appeal" TO YOU?

If you're pretty familiar with what areas of WDW give you a good feeling, then I think you can probably tell from a video if a particular resort does, too.

Does anyone have any recommended videos for any of the DVC properties?

We find the WDW News Today ones with Tom Corless much more objective than other tour guides whose videos we've watched. Corless resembles Pete in that he won't hold back on telling you exactly what he doesn't like and why. He looks carefully for odd layouts, defects and needed repairs and points those out, mentioning if the resort is scheduled for refurb/reno soon so you know when things are likely to improve. If he likes the villa, you'll certainly get that, again for practical reasons like spaciousness, layout, lighting, etc.

Paging Mr. Morrow's tours are pretty good for the practicalities, but he's so chatty and gushy he drives me bonkers.

The others, IMO, have annoying little quirks like pointing out Hidden Mickeys everywhere or are too promotional.

The others, IMO, have annoying little quirks like pointing out Hidden Mickeys everywhere or are too promotional.

I watched one where the guy pointed out every single Mickey he came across. I kept thinking "oh... neat... now get on with it". I will look up Tom Corless. Thanks!

I watched one where the guy pointed out every single Mickey he came across. I kept thinking "oh... neat... now get on with it". I will look up Tom Corless. Thanks!
Here With The Ears points out EVERY Hidden Mickey they find in every corner of every room. I often wonder if they realize that the whole novelty of Hidden Mickeys is finding them on your own, and that now none of the Mickeys are hidden thanks to them pointing them all out.

I watched one where the guy pointed out every single Mickey he came across. I kept thinking "oh... neat... now get on with it".

That's the dude I think of as Hidden Mickey/Awesome. We've watched 3-4 of their tours, and he finds something "really awesome" in every one. 🤮

Honestly, I think the research and understanding the pros/cons of DVC is more important than actually staying at one

I agree. Buying any timeshare is more like buying a commodity then a house. Every unit configured the same way at a specific resort will be the same price. It isn't like shopping for a house where the age/condition/upgrades make a difference in the price/value. Timeshares are mostly about trading and the perceived value you derive from that. Make sure you understand all of the costs involved and look beyond the sales pitches which often exaggerate the benefits and avoid talking about the downsides.

Things to consider are where else you might like to vacation, potential for trading and how the overall costs compare with just paying to stay someplace you like to vacation. Down the road how easy is it to sell if no longer want/need it?

Not a must, but definitely helpful. We drank the koolaid on a cruise ship and signed up for AKL (sight unseen) on the boat, than cold feet cancelled, than research, than bought Saratoga resale (sight unseen). Actually had only been to WDW like once and stayed at All Star sports, but living in SoCal we had walked thru VGC and seen pictures of Aulani and all the resorts in that nice beautiful brochure they used to give to everyone. Flipping those pages, we knew we would love it. It boils down to do you want direct points or resale. Do you want booking advantage at any of them? If you don't have booking advantage, is someone going to have time to stalk the reservation system to grab what you want inside of 7months? Or you flexible in your travel dates? Or you okay with split stays? Are you concerned with how much annual maint fee at particular resort? Are you concerned with expiration date of resort? All those answers should steer you to the correct decision even if sight unseen.

Here With The Ears points out EVERY Hidden Mickey they find in every corner of every room. I often wonder if they realize that the whole novelty of Hidden Mickeys is finding them on your own, and that now none of the Mickeys are hidden thanks to them pointing them all out.

TOO true!

Funny enough those videos pushed me to make my own on my last vacation (Mexico). I ended up doing a drunk room tour and pointed out every... single... thing... even the plants and outlets.

Funny enough those videos pushed me to make my own on my last vacation (Mexico). I ended up doing a drunk room tour and pointed out every... single... thing... even the plants and outlets.

Well, at least you had a "chemically enhanced" excuse for that excess.

Mr. "HMickey-Awesome" appears entirely sober in their videos. I won't excuse him. :sad2:

"We stared at this picture frame for 45 minutes, and couldn't find any Hidden Mickeys, except maybe this glob of toothpaste on the corner. Maybe you'll have better luck. Let us know in the comments!"

"We stared at this picture frame for 45 minutes, and couldn't find any Hidden Mickeys, except maybe this glob of toothpaste on the corner. Maybe you'll have better luck. Let us know in the comments!"

I could do without the Hidden Mickey stuff but he does a better job with the descriptions and camera work than most I've seen. I can't deal with a shaky camera zooming in to within 6 inches of everything. "Here's what the coffee pot and microwave would look like if you you literally pressed your face against them!"

Don't know if they still do this....but when we joined in late 1993, we bought site unseen. But our guide told us that we had a 30 day recension period. So we could stay on our points but if we decided it wasn't for us, we would just pay cash for the nights. Still in after 30 years almost!

I could do without the Hidden Mickey stuff but he does a better job with the descriptions and camera work than most I've seen. I can't deal with a shaky camera zooming in to within 6 inches of everything. "Here's what the coffee pot and microwave would look like if you you literally pressed your face against them!"

She always disappears after the intro. We know she’s following him off camera, opening sofa beds, etc., but we always joke that he’s locked her in a closet or out in the hallway because you never see her again. Lol

(And obviously we've watched them all... :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
I would NOT buy into OKW, SS or AK because there is no real 11 month home resort advantage owning there
If you have any interest in Value or Concierge rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, you MUST own there. That's the 11 month advantage that matters.

If you have any interest in Value or Concierge rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, you MUST own there. That's the 11 month advantage that matters.
True and of course - if you want 3Br Grand at OKW, owning there would be a big benefit

I would recommend at least touring a resort. I had heard great things about BW, but when we Skylinered over there from CBR one night, it ended up being a big disappointment (this was just a few months ago, so I know some things were still closed).

I'm curious. What was so disappointing? Had you never been to BoardWalk?

It seems to me that most who'd consider buying into DVC will have been to the resort they're considering buying into.

Maybe I'm missing something...again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter