Is it Eisner's Fault?

Dis Duck,

I don't often post here but read it voraciously.I too grew up spending summers on Coney Island, and thought (via photos and video)that CA was beautiful, escpecially at night.

DR however is an abomination (imho). Tacky, Tacky, Tacky. It had no charm and evoked nothing other than disbelief that his was in a disney park.

I really had high hopes because I love carnivals and would have loved to see Disney try arder in this area.

Again, just my opinion.

Also why can't it be a creative gal?

Dis Duck,

I don't often post here but read it voraciously.I too grew up spending summers on Coney Island, and thought (via photos and video)that CA was beautiful, escpecially at night.

DR however is an abomination (imho). Tacky, Tacky, Tacky. It had no charm and evoked nothing other than disbelief that his was in a disney park.

I really had high hopes because I love carnivals and would have loved to see Disney try arder in this area.

Again, just my opinion.

Also why can't it be a creative or business
gal?

Hey Mr DisDuck, you may have identified a solution!

We the people of the DIS boards need to form a more perfect company by gaining control of it!

Anybody have a spare $25B? Or does anyone have a Christmas card list of 25M people that each have $1000? :-)

Dino-Rama is still in the eye of the beholder and like it or not, the jury of the court of public opinion is still out. I happened to like DR very much. Why? Because I wasn't expecting too much from it in the first place, the room they had available wouldn't have lent itself to much more and although Scoop planted that darned PW-inside notion in my head, it still is a great deal of fun to ride. TS is less magical than Aladdin, but the kids do love a good spinner & the games, ah the games...Such a minor thing that only a bunch of Disney-introspects would take so seriously. They're fun, they're not obtrusive and if the public...the guests do not like them they can disappear as easily as they appeared. The inclusion of the games was a no-brainer in the Chester & Hester Tacky whacky whatever.

While I understand Jeff Jewells assertion that DR is just another step down the slippery slope of mediocrity for current management I personally can take DR and Agrabah and still see hope. You see in this downturn perhaps these 'quick fixes' are all we're going to get from Disney until the next biggie is demanded and faced with nothing or Dino-Rama & Agrabah, I'll take something over nothing and continue to hope that the good times are once again just around the corner.

The diference between this car #1 rider and the threepers are optimism & postive outlook vs. pessimisim & Eisner is the devil...

:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Just a note on the Eisner thing....

Was I the *only* one hoping that was hoping he would eat the poison apple when they did the real life Snow White on the Wonderful World of Disney?

“The difference between this car #1 rider and the threepers are optimism & postive outlook vs. pessimism & Eisner is the devil...”

Nah, the difference is a belief of standards and quality over a willingness to settle for “something over nothing” and a delusion that the “good times” simply materialize out of thin air.

Voice, back to misrepresentions again?:D Why is my settling for 'something over nothing' a bad thing? I'm with everyone of you when you say "every ride should be created with the most care and innovation and imagination possible in order to give the guest the ultimate of experiences yadda, yadda, yadda" ... But in lieu of this are you telling me that we are better off cutting off our nose to spite our face? Seriously? I'll take something over nothing even if the nothing is an 'A', 'B' or 'C' ticket item, for a nothing is...Well, no ticket at all...

PS I hope our beloved Moderator didn't see that "d" word reference!:D

Oh Captain, my Captain...
I wasn't expecting too much from it in the first place
they're not obtrusive
they can disappear as easily as they appeared
I'll take something over nothing
Another difference between you and Car #3 riders is that we would not be able to write the above and still claim "The Magic is as strong as ever."

Car #1 seems to require amazingly contortionistic rationalizations.

Jeff

PS: One more difference...
Eisner is the devil
...is that the Car #3 denizens understand the difference between calling people names and questionning business decisions.

I'm not allowed my opinion...

You know I don't expect too much from Disney when they open a popcorn stand either & yet they never let me down...You guys must have a hard time buying your popcorn from a run of the mill, off the shelf pop corn cart...Geez, no magic there, couldn't they have budgeted a little more imagination into those things...That would actually be true Disney magic.

As for 'name calling', my Eisner is the devil rap that I have been laying on you guys for two years now is a joke...It's humor. Your calling me a contortionistc rationalizer sounds far more mean spirited...

“You guys must have a hard time buying your popcorn from a run of the mill, off the shelf pop corn cart”

Actually – yes.

In fact Disney used to custom make all their popcorn wagons. They worked better and themed in better to the parks. It’s exactly that kind of attention to detail that separated Disneyland from Coney Island. And why shouldn’t a Disney popcorn wagon be different? Why should I drop five grand for a WDW vacation when I can get the same off-the-shelf, something-instead-of-nothing experience from a local Six Flags park?

This whole “something/nothing” argument seems really backwards to me. It almost feels that we – the paying public – are the ones that should have the burden of graciously accepting what Disney presents. That somehow we need to understand the special hardships at Disney and that we have to make a special accommodation to our desires so that things aren’t too rough for the boys in Burbank.

Sorry, but Disney ain’t no charity case. A business has to meet its customer’s expectation or it goes under. Disney has failed at California Adventure; it’s failing at Dino-Rama. We’re not arguing that Dino is bad just because it’s an artistic failure.

We’re arguing against it because it’s also part of a business failure.

P.S. – Eisner is not the devil. Michael would never accept the cut in pay.

First time on this board. I have never seen a 10 page thread and it doesn't appear to be winding down. There are some serious Mouse fans here. I haven't read all the threads so maybe this has already been posted but here goes anyhow.

I've been on Aladins Carpet ride. It wasn't great,but if it's THAT bad,then how bad is DUMBO. Dumbo has the slowest line and gives riders four spins. But the kids love it. I also observed that kids loved the Aladin ride, and isn't that the point ? If every new ride was a Tower of Terror type, then they'd have to build a holding pen for the kids.

I think Dis veterans sometimes forget how many first timers visit WDW each year and the things that are ho-hum for us are great to them. We tend to be a little- maybe a lot- more critical about new additions.

As for AK, I think it's a great work in progress. Of course its attendance has gone down each year-its not brand new anymore, the first wave of "must see it" guests have seen it. The early year numbers were inflated only because of it's newness. I work at a GMC dealership, showroom floor traffic is always heaviest when a new product is released. AK is also a different kind of park,part zoo,part educational,part thrill ride. The biggest improvement I could suggest is the food. As for the new carny style games: Universal has had them for years. They are fun but you can spend a lot real quick. And like another poster stated- if they don't work out,they can be gone overnite. Ak has great shows,average raft ride,Bugs life is top notch as is Count down to Ext and the safari is on my altime favorite list. Not too bad for a baby park.

Stick around here or Debate and you won't know what to do with threads that are less then Ten pages.

Isn't that the truth YoHo!

The first 10 pages is just the warm up, the real break-throughs in discussion happen about page 15 I think.

Welcome to the Rumors boards, KNWVIKING.

This thread just is furthur proof that some people wil hold disney to no standards in the least and will eat whatever disney feeds them and tell them it is great, even if it is horrible!!! Im just glad that the Car #3 people are still striving to keep disney up to their old standards and not let them slide to Six Flags level. The same people who would insult Six Flags would praise disney for offering the same product just because it has a disney trademark. And the sad thing is eisner knows alot of people will buy this so he gives us the like of DRand as long as the masses buy this BS we are unlikely to see any improvement but only a downgrading of the "magic"

Standards???
OK Bob, everytime you make one of those "some people will accept comments" I'm generally the only one in sight...But standards??? Aren't you the guy that keeps preaching for the fast-puke coasters? Yeah DD may be great at IOA but how in the heck would Disney hide those ugly metal loops visable from downtown Orlando? This attraction would make PW look like a sunny day on the ugly-o-meter...Or do you suggest they "theme" it with a famous Disney Mountain or something? Oh yeah I'd be all for it if it could be done...Of course it'd cost about a trillion dollars to hide something as monumental as DD...Yeah boy, thems standards alright...:D

Now Voice...Are you serious about the popcorn carts...For if you are I will certainly apologize and look for another equally colorful and (more) absurd example...:D :D

Lastly, let me reiterate that I approve something in lieu of nothing because in the long run that's what has the potential of improving my park experience. Certainly AK deserves another E ticket...But it also needed a bunch of A&B ticket attractions to help 'finish' that which had only been started (alievate people grid-lock). I'll take the 'minor atttractions' in place of nothing but not in place of the hope that still exists inside me that the bigger & better will soon come. I know this seems absolutely foolish to many of you and I'm sorry about that, but I still love WDW & my experiences just aren't depreciating...

Now Voice...Are you serious about the popcorn carts...For if you are I will certainly apologize and look for another equally colorful and (more) absurd example

Hmm...now this has got me thinking, I can't remember. Do WDW popcorn carts have the different little guys rotating popcorn wheels? Disneyland has these or did last time I was there. Little country bear in Critter Country, Abominable snowman outside the Matterhorn, etc.

Hopemax, I've never been to DL so I don't know if you're pulling the ole Captain's leg or not (which no longer has a hard cast on it btw, for anyone still wondering). A picture of these 'specialty' popcorn carts sure would be convincing!!!:D

King...A quick trip to the topics page and item two about the carpools (gcurling) should explain it all!

Oh, my you really don't know about the popcorn carts!

digging through pictures now....

still looking for the popcorn cart, but I found pic of the Circus Wagon lemonade cart that in 2000 was around the corner from Casey Jr & Dumbo...do you want to see that too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter