is it a big deal to change ADRS from 8 to 5 people?

shinysparklybubbles

DIS Veteran
I want to make my ADR as soon as we hit 180 days, but we do not know if we will be a party of 5 or 8 (my brother and his family will not know until about a month before our trip if they are coming). So my question is, can I just make them for 8 and then change them all down to 5 or would that require cancelling and re booking?

It would require cancelling and rebooking as they make 6 top tables. Please cancel as soon as you know they will/will not be joining. I went with a party of 8 before and it was difficult to get ressies.

Book for 8 even if your family is unsure. You can try to change it later but as mentioned they cancel one ressie and book another it's not just a matter of changing the number.

If you can't get a ressie for 5 I would keep the ressie for 8. Explain that 3 people are unable to make it and they will still give you a table. They do routinely overbook knowing that people don't show up or others show up with a smaller group. It really is no big deal. That extra space will be given to someone....people do often try for walk ins.

Another option would be 2 ressies...one for 5 and one for 3. You may or may not end up sitting together. If you go this route and all 8 are going I would suggest that if you want to sit together you arrive at least 30 minutes early and tell them you would like to sit togther if possible. They might be able to accommodate you but you would have to wait a while for the table.

How much difficulty going from 3 to 4? Just had a friend call and want to meet us before he flies out of town. Reservations for Whispering Canyon Cafe at 6:30 on a Friday evening (3/19.) In my mind I don't think it should be difficult to add 1, however I don't want him to feel uncomfortable if they make a stink. Do Disney CM's know how to make a stink?

How much difficulty going from 3 to 4? Just had a friend call and want to meet us before he flies out of town. Reservations for Whispering Canyon Cafe at 6:30 on a Friday evening (3/19.) In my mind I don't think it should be difficult to add 1, however I don't want him to feel uncomfortable if they make a stink. Do Disney CM's know how to make a stink?

You should start immediately trying to get another ressie for the party of 4.....if you get one then cancel your party of 3. It is now spring break and it will be busy.

I have seen people being turned away because they had booked 3 and were showing up with 4. They book the restaurant based on the number of people that are allowed by the fire code...so it's not just as simple as adding one more person. Just be aware that this can happen. Will it happen to you if you bring along a friend???? Who knows. More than likely they are going to place your party of 3 at a table that seats 4 so they might be fine with it.

I would keep the reservation definitely but in the meantime if you check online occassionally and they have the party of 5 available you could cancel the party of 8. If not just explain the other 3 are not joining you for whatever reason. Its very easy to take away people, not so easy to add.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter