Is Illuminations closing?

KTR

Mouseketeer
I was just perusing touringplans website and noticed that Illuminations is listed as closing permanently on September 1, 2019. We arrive a week after that. Is there going to be a new show in place? This is the first mention I have seen of it being gone, so was wondering if there was a thread about that somewhere I could read up on.

Yes, it is sometime late summer/early fall. Supposedly there is supposed to be new interim show starting immediately after Illuminations ends. I believe the new permanent show starts in 2021.

Last edited:
I was just perusing touringplans website and noticed that Illuminations is listed as closing permanently on September 1, 2019. We arrive a week after that. Is there going to be a new show in place? This is the first mention I have seen of it being gone, so was wondering if there was a thread about that somewhere I could read up on.

I’m betting the Sept1 is a guess. AFAIK they haven’t announced the last day yet. Latest rumor I read was Sept 30- the 20 yr anniversary.

Yes its closing.
The official word is still "end of summer" so not sure why TP picked an actual date....
Epcot Forever is going to be the interim nighttime show before the new show starts in the new year.

Wow, I had no idea. Seriously bummed. I love that show, especially the music, including the song right after the end, "Promise" by Kellie Coffey. At least I got to see it one last time last month. Guess you never know when it's going to be the last time.

I haven't seen any actual dates for when Illuminations stops except Fall 2019.
They claim the new show will start the next day with the final version starting isometime in 2020.

I will miss Illuminations, but are excited to see what the new shows are.

Judging by the amount of work going on in World Showcase Lagoon,the new show is going to be massive.:)

I expect the last IllumiNations to be as emotional for many as the Wishes finale.:)

WDW NEWS TODAY
Photo-Feb-01-2-27-00-AM-1200x800.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the amount of work going on in World Showcase Lagoon,the new show is going to be massive.:)

I expect the last IllumiNations to be as emotional for many as the Wishes finale.:)

WDW NEWS TODAY
Photo-Feb-01-2-27-00-AM-1200x800.jpg

I’m one of the crazy ones who rolled the dice on the date and booked a room for a quick trip to see the last show. We will be the ones hysterically crying. lol Now to get the dessert buffet....that’s going to be a tough ticket. :)

it does look like they are building something bigger than the island sizes
There are forms in the middle of the lagoon and then they are doing work on each of the islands. There’s is also work going on backstage.

Latest picture of Island construction from WDW News Today.

Not sure yet if I like how this is going to make the Islands look.

epcot-nighttime-construction-4-1200x900.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter