Is homecomin' worth it?

Lori74

DIS Veteran
i have a reservation in oct, and i'm starting to have second thoughts. i love fried chicken and that's what i'm going for, but for $30? my husband and son are just going for me, they aren't really interested, but will find something to suit their tastes. i'm just thinking, maybe i should skip it. $100 meal to make mom happy or $50-60 give or take to make everyone happy?

Sorry, but "worth" is in the eye of the beholder. The Dis Podcast dining reviews say the chicken is really good. Is your goal to save money? Considering the cost of a WDW trip the $40-$50 difference is barely a rounding error.

Does where they want to go interest you?

So many things about WDW are subjective. Our feelings are always try it at least once. We stick with our favorites and add one or two things everytime we go but we tend to go a lot. Three to four times a year. Since we live in the south the menu there seems like a hundred places we can go at home and so we have not tried it or even really wanted to try it. If you have not experience good Southern Cooking before then I say go for it. It really just depends on what you think you are giving up in order to try it. I don't consider the price all that much because everything there comes at a significant premium over what I would pay locally for the same thing.

We went last year and are going again this year because my son said it was his favorite meal (he's 15). I agree with you, it is a rip off. $30 for 2 pieces of chicken is expensive. The meals are good but not spectacular, TBH, I would be going somewhere else if it wasn't for promising my son we could return.

If you are not from the Deep South where fried chicken is a food group you will probably enjoy it. If you eat a lof of good fried chicken you will find it very average. But if you go try the deviled eggs they are incredible. There are opinions on this place going back and forth so I would suggest you try it at least once. After all you have to eat somewhere.

Maybe I'm jaded, but their prices aren't that bad to me considering Disney prices in general. Especially when its a meal mostly everyone raves about. That price difference is negligible to me when considering the cost of a Disney trip so I would do it if its a place I really wanted to try.

I've enjoyed it everytime I've gone, but I don't think any Disney restaurant is worth going out of your way for. Meaning - are you already at Disney Springs that day? Or are you making a special trip for it?

It's one of the best options at Disney Springs so if you're already there, I would go. I would not deal with traveling back and forth to Disney Springs just to eat there. Remember time is money at Disney, too ;)

I've enjoyed it everytime I've gone, but I don't think any Disney restaurant is worth going out of your way for. Meaning - are you already at Disney Springs that day? Or are you making a special trip for it?

It's one of the best options at Disney Springs so if you're already there, I would go. I would not deal with traveling back and forth to Disney Springs just to eat there. Remember time is money at Disney, too ;)

You must read my mind on our opinion of WDW dining. We can always do better at home for a lesser price regardless of the restaurant at WDW. So we eat at favorites and don't worry about the price but don't obsess the way some people do.

we are staying on site just for the night before a cruise, so we will be going to DS for dinner. i am from the south, but live in the north, so i don't get okra, fried chicken, or pinto beans in my diet like i crave. my northern husband and kids do not understand my cravings. money isn't a big problem in the grand scheme of things. i'm just kinda trying to weigh whether my cravings are worth the expense. because to be honest disney springs has come out with many great places to eat, and i will be happy either way. thank you for your opinions! keep them coming!

I just got back from Disney almost 2 weeks ago. That restaurant was one of my favorite meals. But I base that on the WHOLE meal. From the drinks, to the appetizer, to, yes, the fried chicken and biscuit, down to the Hummingbird cake. The fried chicken was good, I'm not from the south though and don't claim to be an expert, but I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the ambiance. We were seated on the "back porch" rather than the inside restaurant and I really enjoyed that. Deviled eggs were pretty good, although my aunt makes better ones. I hear the chicken thigh biscuits are the best and I should have gotten those but I thought it might be too much chicken in one meal.

I never look at Disney meals for their "value" because most Disney restaurants are not values but I think overall the Disney Springs restaurants are pretty reasonable.

Worth is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE. Only you can judge if it is worth it to you, not strangers on the internet.
I don’t think $30 is expensive

Chicken is chicken. A two piece fill up at KFC is 5 bucks...and they have parfaits, cheap. Sorry...not helpful.

I don't know--to me there is a difference between even KFC and Popeye's. Certainly there's a difference between Homecomin' and those places. If you don't think there is a difference, I'd say that fried chicken might not be a food you really enjoy.

I'd eat there if that is where you want to go. As a previous poster mentioned, the overall cost is the same as you will find dining at just about any place in DS ... so you won't necessarily be spending "more" to eat there. You will satisfy your cravings, your husband and child won't starve :-)

I really loved Homecomin'. It was my favorite meal of our trip last year, and we have reservations again this year. I didn't find the prices outrageous compared to other Disney restaurants, and I loved the atmosphere.

I thought my cocktail (Old Fashioned Elder) and dessert (Shine Cake) were worth the price. The chicken sandwich was not, but the price was still fair for Disney standards at $17. I probably wouldn't do dinner there again, but it's a great choice if you have picky eaters.

Think about it this way.... will you be sad or regret it is you DON'T go? Your answer lies there.

The atmosphere there is so nice!! It’s a really cute place. The food was great. I wasn’t there for the fried chicken, because I can get that any day where I live in south Louisiana. I had a very delicious salad, and the biscuits were great too. It wasn't necessarily the Best. Meal. Ever. But it was really, really good!

Think about it this way.... will you be sad or regret it is you DON'T go? Your answer lies there.
yes i think you're right. we passed by there a few months ago and i was wishing we had the time and reservation...

i have a reservation in oct, and i'm starting to have second thoughts. i love fried chicken and that's what i'm going for, but for $30? my husband and son are just going for me, they aren't really interested, but will find something to suit their tastes. i'm just thinking, maybe i should skip it. $100 meal to make mom happy or $50-60 give or take to make everyone happy?
Try Olivia's at OKW. I am not a fried chicken expert but I liked it alot. It is not as crowded and only a 20 minute boat ride from DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter