Is FoP worth it?

Rhianna.07

DIS Family Page
We have a huge AK trip planned in Oct. and we’re trying to figure out how to do it. I know that FoP is well liked but quite a few of the members in our family have motion sickness so we’re just trying to figure out if it’s worth splitting up the family for an hour or if should we should even attempt to get everyone on it or what? My mom was very very sick on Harry Potter Forbidden Journey to give you a point of reference so anything similar to that won’t work. Any advice is welcomed.

Everyone's experience will of course differ.

I rode HPFJ once and felt quite sick. I do not plan to ride it anymore. I am not that prone to motion sickness, but motion simulators do tend to me make me fill ill.

I have ridden FOP twice and I did start to fill mildly ill as the ride finished. But nothing compared to HPFJ. ST also makes me feel slightly ill, and ST was worse for me that FOP. FOP is not as intense on motion as ST and certainly not as much as HPFJ.

There is really no way to tell about your group. FOP is a unique and fabulous ride. Folks who are highly prone to motion sickness may want to pass. Those who are less prone, like me, should definitely try it IMO.

:wizard:

We have a huge AK trip planned in Oct. and we’re trying to figure out how to do it. I know that FoP is well liked but quite a few of the members in our family have motion sickness so we’re just trying to figure out if it’s worth splitting up the family for an hour or if should we should even attempt to get everyone on it or what? My mom was very very sick on Harry Potter Forbidden Journey to give you a point of reference so anything similar to that won’t work. Any advice is welcomed.
I don’t do FJ because it makes me feel yucky. I have done FOP and was fine. The warning they hand you to read was the only thing that bothered me. I read some great advice on here to focus on the guide. That worked and I had no problems. I will ride it again if I ever get another fast pass.

I have vertigo. FJ makes me sick and I won't ride it anymore. Been on FoP many times and had zero issues. One thing I notice is move your whole head to look around, not just your eyes.

I would do a forum search for " FOP Motion Sickness "...Lots of first hand experiences have been shared that might help folks figure out if they should try the ride.

I can't do ST ..... motion simulators make me miserable. One thing that made FOP bearable for me was the fact that air is blowing on you. I used some of the techniques i use when I am feeling carsick.....came out feeling a little motion sick, but it didn't last long. TOTALLY worth it for me.

I wouldn't push someone to ride if they thought it might make them sick.....but I would ride without them.

For whatever it's worth, the people who can ride it, should ride it. It's definitely the best ride in all of Disney in my opinion, almost on par with Universal's Kong ride which is unbelievably amazing. My husband and I decided to take turns waiting in line to ride it when we went with our 4 year old last year, and we are glad we decided to do that to experience it! It shouldn't be missed by the people with no motion sick issues, i'd at least split up.

I wouldn't push someone to ride if they thought it might make them sick.....but I would ride without them.

This.

I can’t speak to the motion sickness issues because no one I travel with has to worry about that. However, it is absolutely worth splitting up for those who are able to ride. I’ve done it via Fastpass, waiting 45-60 minutes at park close and most recently last month I waited 2 and a half hours so my dad could experience it. IMO worth it every time!

I suffer from motion sickness to the point I require the prescription patch (Scopolamine) to be able to ride just about everything. With the patch I can ride every ride with no problem. The only ride that nearly did me in WITH the patch was FOP. I was so excited to try it and I was WRECKED by the end of it. I was concentrating so hard on not hurling and praying the ride would end that I couldn't even enjoy the ride. The scents they pump through it just added to the hurl factor.

That said, we did ride it twice (I love DH and didn't want to dampen the day by admitting it made me super sick) so on the second ride I tried to find something static to focus us (the guide) and it did help. I only felt queasy by the end. I was surprised to read, when we got home, that this is a technique folks have been doing on this ride.

I would be fine not riding it ever again. But I'm sure we will LOL.

It is an amazing attraction and worth trying, in my opinion. My DH often has motion sickness issues, and can’t ride Star Tours. My son, 9 at the time loves Star Tours but has trouble with motion and heights (won’t try 7 Dwarfs Mine Train a second time). Both were intrigued enough to try Flight of Passage, and they loved it. DH even did it a second time, and DS says he will. They both had to close their eyes a couple of times when the motion got too much, but for the most part they were so into the ride that it really seemed to be mind over matter for them.

I think it’s amazing. As PPs have mentioned, everyone’s experience will differ...but if i knew someone going for the first time and that they wouldn’t be back, I’d tell them to bite the bullet and wait, even if it’s a 3-hour wait.

I have friends with motion sickness who tried FOP and it did not work out well for them. I would definitely recommend splitting up your group, however, as those that can ride should, IMHO. It's an amazing attraction. Personally, I would simply try to get FOP FP+ for those that can ride and Nav'i FP+ for those with motion sickness. I would try to schedule them around the same time. The Nav'i group may finish their ride first, but they could always poke around the gift shop or have a drink/snack at Satuli or even Nomad Lounge which is very close by. On our last trip, we split up our group and some went on FOP while others watched FOTLK. We then met up for lunch. We all had a great time!

As others have said, it is a unique and amazing ride. I wouldn't push anyone into doing it if they aren't sure about it, but I would say it is certainly worth splitting up the family to let those who can experience it.

Another vote for splitting up so the folks who want to ride get to. It’s a great ride and worth splitting up for. Even those who want to risk possible motion sickness should go. Those who for sure will get sick should probably take a pass on it and take in a show or something. From our experience anyway, the line and ride time for fop is much longer than for Navi, so those not doing fop need more to fill their time than just Navi.

Another vote for splitting up so the folks who want to ride get to. It’s a great ride and worth splitting up for. Even those who want to risk possible motion sickness should go. Those who for sure will get sick should probably take a pass on it and take in a show or something. From our experience anyway, the line and ride time for fop is much longer than for Navi, so those not doing fop need more to fill their time than just Navi.
Do you have any ideas on some different things the motion sickness people could do while they wait. Different shows or anything?

I’m definitely not as savvy as many on this board, but maybe lion king? Unless everyone wanted to see that. There are street shows too in the different lands. Or if there are kids maybe the boneyard.
And there’s always ITTBAB.

I have vertigo. FJ makes me sick and I won't ride it anymore. Been on FoP many times and had zero issues. One thing I notice is move your whole head to look around, not just your eyes.

That’s really good to know. I also have vertigo and I’m hesitant to ride fop. Last time we went dh went on it, while I passed. This time around I’ll give it a shot. Eeek

I wouldn’t advise FOP for anyone prone to motion sickness. The cue is neat but the ride itself is just a motion sim. Once was enough for me but I’ll do it again for my kids.

The HP rides are a superior blend of motion sim and real movement.

Btw - Everest is the best ride at Disney. It’s a legit Top 100 roller coaster in the world - the only one at Disney. The multiple track layouts is impressive. Give me a real roller coaster any day over a motion sim. Space Mountain and BTMR still hold their own. Seven Dwarves is silky smooth but too short and too cramped to make my top 5.

Everyone should do FOP at least once. I did it without scopolamine patches and felt sick at the end but it was the most amazing ride ever. I didn't bring patches this trip but will next time. Virtual rides never bothered me before but this is so real feeling that I didn't feel great for a few hours after. I think virtual rides are the future. We did The Void on this trip too and it was amazing. Star Wars was better than Wreck it Ralph.

Here's my take; I don't have motion sickness, I've ridden coasters, sims, etc... without ever getting sick. Having said that, I rode Forbidden Journey before they changed it and it made me absolutely green. It has a totally different ride mechanism which doesn't (IMO) do a good job at simulating actual physics synced up to what they were showing you. In short, I don't think I'd compare FoP to FJ at all. Now, if Soarin and/or Star Tours makes the people in your party ill then I'd skip FoP as well. Those that can ride it, should. It's my favorite ride in any park I've ever been on, so I'm a bit biased.

As another poster said, there is a "guide" that takes you on the flight, keep your eyes on her as a focal point and that should help those with motion sickness.

Just echoing what others have said, those that don’t have motion sickness issueshould absolutely do it. Those that can’t, you can probably set them up with Na’vi fast passes and that way you are split up but right there in the same area. If you’re planning ahead well enough to get FoP fast passes, it won’t be any problem to get Na’vi for the rest of your group at the same time. I guess the argument against it would be that those who ride FoP will miss Na’vi but those are the two top tier FPs anyway so it’s not like you can reserve both. Also, if those who ride FoP really want to do Na’vi, it’s not hard to get another FP after you do FoP by refreshing the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter