• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Food and Wine ruining Epcot for families?

It depends on whose kids you ask. The absolute #1 favourite place to be in all of Disney for my kids is World Showcase. My son is a very adventurous eater who would love to taste his way around the world.

Do you see ppl drunk at 5,6, even 7 o'clock? No. Usually it's close to the end of the night. If they're that young-going earlier is key-older-later.

I think a big problem with this conversation is that it is a self fulfilling prophecy- if you go in looking for people acting inappropriate you will find them- if you go in expecting things to not be as bad that's what you'll think

People also have different opinions of what is "crazy" and what is "acceptable"

We love Epcot- sometimes I joke to my friends that world showcase is just a giant bar with he worlds most expensive cover charge. I've drank around the world multiple times and love running into other people Doing the same- I mostly find them to be friendly and well behaved. I've never once witnessed anyone throwing up in bushes (maybe bathrooms but I don't find that unacceptable...) or peeing in bushes.

We will be at food and wine next weekend for the half marathon and are looking forward to enjoying quite a few adult beverages at the after party and the following Sunday and Monday- I will be on the lookout for these college hooligans that people are speaking of... Regardless I would never let a few crazies ruin my vacation- people are idiots and you will surely find some idiots at any vacation location irregardless of alcohol- I generally find rude tired sober "adults" much more annoying than drunk college students anyway...

This is my experience too. We enjoy drinking around the world. It is becoming more and more popular. I do see Epcot evolving to a more adult audience.

So when the crowd gets rowdy and drunk,... They have first rights to WS, and parents who don't want there kids exposed to that should leave. Got it

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I don't think Quirkygirl is saying that drunks should have first rights. I think she is just giving parents some sensible advice. :thumbsup2

Again, do your kids enjoy going around the WS, tasting food at the food booths with the wine pairings?

Maybe parents want to enjoy doing that, but I bet if you asked kids, they'd say, take me to Test Track or something else more "kid friendly" Who are we kidding here? Is it for the parents or the kids?

My son would love to sample the food part of the FOOD and WINE festival. He doesn't need the wine.

I love Disney's atmosphere at Epcot. Not the drunken idiots.

You can see drunks, you can idiots, you can see drunken idiots at EPCOT at different times throughout the year.

My son would love to sample the food part of the FOOD and WINE festival. He doesn't need the wine.
Yes-but I didn't see one person drunk until very late in the evening. Is that the time you find it acceptable for food tastings. It's a judgement call-as a parent, if you know the later it gets & the more alcohol is consumed, why would you take your kids late? It's like taking your kids to a pub to eat @ close to last call? Your kid may Love the food, but the adults drunk- not so much!

OP, if you knew what happens at EPCOT and you think it is an inappropriate atmosphere for families, why did you take your kids?

I've been here all week & I beg to differ. We've been in Epcot every night for dinner, including last nite.

I am talking about EPCOT in general, people drink at EPCOT year round. I have been at EPCOT a different times and have seen drunk and obnoxious people at different times, usually from early evening on.

Maybe you need to 'reread' the post you quoted. I didn't mention an age. The 'point' I was trying to make was that this IS a family park and not a (weekends especially) bar. Children are 'not' admitted to bars. So? Sort of my point!

Kids are allowed in bars. We have a couple we visit for the food.

Yes-but I didn't see one person drunk until very late in the evening. Is that the time you find it acceptable for food tastings. It's a judgement call-as a parent, if you know the later it gets & the more alcohol is consumed, why would you take your kids late? It's like taking your kids to a pub to eat @ close to last call? Your kid may Love the food, but the adults drunk- not so much!

That is what I asked the OP, if this is an issue for you why did you take your family given their opinion on the Food and Wine Festival.

As for me, I have never been to EPCOT at for this festival. If somehow we managed to get the chance, we would certainly have no problem with our son being there late. It's a big place, if you see something you don't like you can avoid it.

then your definition of unacceptably drunk is very different than mine- which is why this argument never makes any progress

You lost me. I was responding to a question about if you ever see people who are drunk in the park at 5, 6 or 7.

You lost me. I was responding to a question about if you ever see people who are drunk in the park at 5, 6 or 7.

My bad, I quoted the wrong context ) - my point is that I just don't find the drunks at 5,6,or 7 unacceptably drunk or anything that I would keep my kids away from for the most part- and if there are a few that are, they are easy enough to avoid

My bad, I quoted the wrong context ) - my point is that I just don't find the drunks at 5,6,or 7 unacceptably drunk or anything that I would keep my kids away from for the most part- and if there are a few that are, they are easy enough to avoid

I agree, we have witnessed rude, obnoxious drunks in the WS earlier in the evening but for the most part you can avoid them.

Do you see ppl drunk at 5,6, even 7 o'clock? No. Usually it's close to the end of the night. If they're that young-going earlier is key-older-later.

I have only been to Epcot for the F&W Festival once. As I stated earlier, it was a very busy Saturday. We arrived at 11am with a bunch of loud, obnoxious, chanting groups of people all wearing the same colored t-shirts.

Were they drunk when they entered? Probably not. By 5pm (6 hours upon entering) they were still loud, obnoxious and chanting. Were they drunk then? Some probably were.

My point is we saw the same kinds of behaviors both early in the day and later in the day and yes, drinkers can get drunk early in the day.

As I stated earlier, my family had a great time regardless and we stayed until closing 9pm.

I'd love to know if others agree that the atmosphere at Epcot when F&W is on, isn't always kid friendly ?

Last evening while walking around the countries I encountered an unbelievable amount of intoxicated and less than kid friendly behavior.

Is this really good PR for Disney to show off to families with children??

Should world showcase be deemed adult only after a certain time of day while F&W is on?

I think F&W is an awesome event and something many people, both local and not, look forward to every year. It would be ridiculous to deem it "adult only" at any point and I do believe that most of us with young families know what is and what is not appropriate for our children. That being said, yes, it certainly can make for a bit more of a "lively" atmosphere in the evenings. It gets pretty crowded, making it really difficult to take kids by the hand or push a stroller through a large crowd. We didn't particularly enjoy our EPCOT evening for this very reason. Probably should have planned 2 full days at EPCOT, one to enjoy Future World and the other to enjoy WS so we could do both during the day.

it certainly made WS a lot more crowded when we were there 2 weeks ago. As suggested we stayed away from EPCOT on the weekend and went on "suggested park days" Thursday night and Friday morning and it was difficult to navigate through the walkways. with 4 kids we were not looking to experience F + W but it sure made it crowded, can't imagine what its like on the weekends.

We were there on a Tuesday. Spent all day there, moved to WS for dinner and touring. Probably should have switched that around but we with WS not opening until 11, we didn't want to backtrack a ton and miss out on anything in FW. Evening crowds in WS were wall to wall. Saw some drunks, but the biggest problem for us was a concert going on. HUGE, loud lines of people waiting for the next concert which was still playing for the first show. We couldn't even talk to each other, let alone the kids. Just bad planning on our part.

I've seen a number of loud, obnoxious people at F&W. I've come to the conclusion the vast majority of them are not drunk - they are just normally loud and obnoxious people. The trailer trash really can't afford to get drunk at the F&W because it's too expensive! The reality is, the more people you are around, the more obnoxious ones you will see. Given the crowds, especially on Saturday night, that might be your night to go to the MK.

I see, so now the rude obnoxious people aren't drunk they are just poor. Because of course poor people are the rude and obnoxious ones (especially if they live in trailer parks).

WOW... Apparently you have never seen spoiled, self absorbed, rude people who are well off financially. Or maybe you see one often and it just doesn't register.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter