• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is food and wine getting out of hand?

The food and wine festival is not intended to be for the kids. Why would anybody think that such an event would focus on things that interest children? Because it's a Disney park? Adults go to Disney parks too, without children. If it was for the children it would be a cookies and juice festival.

Some children will enjoy trying the food items, but the event is not intended to cater to them.

There's a reason why there are no children's prices for the ticketed events.

I still don't think it even slightly compares to Bourbon Street.

Stay out on Friday nights and Saturdays if crowd avoidance is required. Other nights will be crowded but not THAT crowded.

Last edited:
The food and wine festival is not intended to be for the kids. Why would anybody think that such an event would focus primarily on things that interest children? Because it's a Disney park? Adults go to Disney parks too, without children.

Some children will enjoy trying the food items, but the event is not intended to cater to them.

There's a reason why there are no children's prices for the ticketed events.

I still don't think it even slightly compares to Bourbon Street.

Stay out on Friday nights and Saturdays if crowd avoidance is required. Other nights will be crowded but not THAT crowded.
I agree If you noticed that F&W takes place in September after school starts. I understand there are those parents that take their kids out of school to spend their vacation at Disney but if i hear complaints from parents with school age about how they went to Disney during times when school is in session and complain of the adults at the parks I just dont feel sympathy for therm. We take our vacation during times when school is in session to avoid most of the crowds.

I must admit that my initial impression of EpCot F&W was startling and memorable for a first-timer. It was my 1st DisneyWorld visit and also solo... so when I entered EpCot and saw/heard a young man at the top of the Spaceship Earth ramp shouting/cursing, it definitely freaked me out! I had no idea there was a wine festival going on o_O !! The lady at Guest Relations was really nice to me when I went in there to find out what the heck was happening :joker:

It has been this bad (at least on the weekends) for a few years at least. I worked in Epcot in 2012-2014 and I'll say there were some rowdy groups and sometimes some outright bad behavior but I do think it bothers people more the older they get or if they have children. The only thing I won't tolerate are the fights that seem to always break out when people get too drunk but now it is appearing alcohol isn't even needed for that to happen.

However, nothing made a work day more entertaining then a cranberry bog swimmer or a Mexico climber.

Thanks for the idea. I will replace Maelstrom with Flight of Tequila and then do the Mexico Rock Climbing attraction outside.

Every year, there is a thread that focuses on just how "bad" the Food & Wine Festival is. How it should be stopped, or changed or how it's not good for the kids.

But - I've read a trip report from a guy who had to leave Magic Kingdom because he was so drunk out of his mind, he threw up in a bathroom. Yep, Magic Kingdom and he was drinking in the park. His water bottle was not searched as it contained a clear liquid.

I've also seen a few people drunk in Epcot right before Illuminations in early June.

I've also seen very risque movements by all kinds of couples all over Disney World at any time of the year.

So, it happens all the time and if some people see the same thing happening more than once, they might think it's a rampant problem.

And then there's this - my husband and I went to the Festival a few years ago (and have been back since). We were at the Magic Kingdom first (no water bottle :)) and then went to Epcot for the festival in the evening (during the week). I wanted to taste a specific wine so got the sampler. I took one step and stumbled over my previously unnoticed untied shoelace. A woman behind my husband and I screamed "YOU DRUNKEN FOOL! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!!!!!". So I got that after one sip of wine.

Can't win at all.

And then there's this - my husband and I went to the Festival a few years ago (and have been back since). We were at the Magic Kingdom first (no water bottle :)) and then went to Epcot for the festival in the evening (during the week). I wanted to taste a specific wine so got the sampler. I took one step and stumbled over my previously unnoticed untied shoelace. A woman behind my husband and I screamed "YOU DRUNKEN FOOL! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!!!!!". So I got that after one sip of wine.

Can't win at all.

Oh geeze! What did you say back??

We saw 2 people vomiting on our recent trip. Both of them were under age 5 and neither of them were at Epcot.

We also saw a very drunk man in the lobby of our hotel. We stayed at the Beach club and he was holding a glass of red wine and shouting. A little while later we heard him shouting profanities in the hallway and pounding on another room's door. I started to open the door to look out and he started saying sorry sorry.

I waited a moment and then opened the door and peeked out and he was walking down the hallway.
I didn't hear anything else the rest of the night.

My point is just because you are in WDW doesn't mean you won't see people vomiting, and you don't have to go to the Food and Wine Festival to see a drunk, they might be in the lobby of your deluxe hotel.

It's going to be very interesting next year when the new Frozen ride is right in the middle of it all.
This will be quite interesting. Assuming this ride will be as popular as it seems it will be. The mix will not be good.

We're 2 adults that went to the F&W Oct. of last year. We did notice the drunks. First, it was in the Mexico pavillion, 2 drunk women yelling at each other. I was waiting at a spot near the UK for Illuminations & this drunk older woman grabbed me to balance herself as she squeezed next to my spot. Swaying, she hold the man next to her to "hold her". Needless to say I gave her a dirty look and she started to edge away from me. We were at that area because we have a dinner ADR. While waiting, there was a group of young men, with drinks in hand, yelling at the crowds. Three security employees followed them down the road. The server told us they've upped the security at that spot.

I've been to many non-Disney festivals that allow alcohol but have not seen this many drunks as I saw at Disney last October.

Heading to my 4th F&W. Never seen any of the problems described (well with people, yes there can be crowds, but they are easily avoided).

I was there this week last year. Arrived Saturday, it was crazy busy. I was staying at BWV, so I went to the festival most evenings. Sunday was a little crowded but I didn't think week nights were bad. I don't recall drunk people last year but I remember one trip where there were quite a few. I think more people get drunk from the hard liquor and beer than the wine. The Tequila Bar in Mexico seemed to have a lot of drunks.

We've done it both on weekends and during the week with kids. I would say weekends are not kid-friendly, lots of swearing and crowds and simply behavior we wouldn't want our young kids to see... but we've not seen extreme debauchery, although I don't doubt it exists.

We stick to during the week and it's just as enjoyable as we remember it a decade ago. Very little crowds (relatively speaking) and more families...we also check out around 7:00ish to avoid any late night issues.

It's going to be very interesting next year when the new Frozen ride is right in the middle of it all.

This was the main thing I was thinking about when I wrote this post adding an e ticket ride into the world showcase. half of the excitement will be getting to the ride watch out for those double wide strollers.

This was the main thing I was thinking about when I wrote this post adding an e ticket ride into the world showcase. half of the excitement will be getting to the ride watch out for those double wide strollers.

And all of the little princesses in their Anna and Elsa dresses princess:

It's going to be an interesting mix for sure especially during Festival times.

Was there Monday. We do have young kids and bugged out of the WS by 5:30. Until then it was fine. The worst behavior we witnessed was two old people (like, in their 70s) full on making out. I could have lived without seeing that, but I don't really care for PDA regardless of the age of the participants. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter