Is DVC for me?

jecon

Mouseketeer
I thought I'd go to the experts for this one.... I am really considering buying at VGF but still not sure if DVC is for me. Can the vets help me out?

We like to stay at the GF club level (sugar loaf mostly) every year for 5 nights (been going regularly since 2008) and don't know if we should make the plunge or not. I am concerned because we like the club level amenities and, from the sales person, it doesn't look like we would have club access or even a bar like Top of the World at BLT.

What's the DVC experience like? I am not really interested in eating in my room so am I better off at the hotel? Would I be saving money in the long run if we keep going every year for say, the next 10 years or so? The new rooms look so beautiful and I think the idea of a newer hotel.

Thanks for your feedback!

I thought I'd go to the experts for this one.... I am really considering buying at VGF but still not sure if DVC is for me. Can the vets help me out?

We like to stay at the GF club level (sugar loaf mostly) every year for 5 nights (been going regularly since 2008) and don't know if we should make the plunge or not. I am concerned because we like the club level amenities and, from the sales person, it doesn't look like we would have club access or even a bar like Top of the World at BLT.

What's the DVC experience like? I am not really interested in eating in my room so am I better off at the hotel? Would I be saving money in the long run if we keep going every year for say, the next 10 years or so? The new rooms look so beautiful and I think the idea of a newer hotel.

Thanks for your feedback!

There is no club level at GFV. So if club level is a must for you, that will be your deal breaker on DVC.

It doesn't sound like VGF would fit your current vacation style.

If you don't want to stock your room with some beverages and snacks (I have never done any elaborate meals in my room, mostly cereal, snacks, Giordano's delivery and bringing back cinnamon rolls to heatup the next am) it may not be ideal.

It does look like its a long walk under a covered sidewalk to the Grand, so its not just a walk inside.

But yes, the rooms look amazing! Its almost like Walt was in charge of the details...(where you see intricate iron work and great finishes like marble baseboards in the Main Street ice cream parlor)

Since you sound open to the idea, I would recommend renting or reserving a cash 1BR villa for part of a trip, then decide if it works for you.

A couple things:

1) You need to do the math. Compare what you have spent in the past and currently are spending for the cash rooms. Compare it to the long-term costs of DVC paying cash upfront and including what your money would have made if invested instead of making the timeshare purchase. Remember, with DVC you do not pay tax on the room rates.
here is an example:

VGF Points bought 75
Cost per point $145
Maintainance/pt/yr $5.41
Principle $10,875
Term (Yrs) 50
Rate/Yr if invested 5%
Payment/mo $49.39
Amort. / year $592.65
Maintainance/yr $405.75
Cost per year $998.40
Cost/yr/point $13.31
Room type Studio Jan
Points/week 148
Amortized cost per night $281.45
Per week $1970.18
Room type 1 BR Jan
Points/week 296
Amortized cost per night $562.91
Per week $3940.36
Room type Studio June
Points/week 199
Amortized cost per night $378.44
Per week $2649.09

2) There is a difference between hotel and dvc.
If concierge is more important to you than saving dollars in the long run, stick with the cash rooms.

You will still be able to enjoy the amenities of the hotel, but you will have a little walk to use them.

You will have to actively manage your DVC ownership. You can't call last minute and book a room. There are also different cancellation policies.

For us, DVC works. Yes, it has saved us money on our room costs. Yes, we have committed a lot of dollars to future vacations. What we have liked about that, is no matter what is going on in life or the economy, we still take a break and go on vacation guilt free! It is prepaid, so we might as well go!

Thank you all so much! As much as I want to be a DVC member, I don't think it works for our vacation style. :sad1: Great idea about cash room - I can still try it (as long as there is an available room!!) :upsidedow

It's not always about saving money. It really depends on how you vacation. If you like your beds made and rooms tidy when you return, you're better off without DVC. If you prefer a "home" feel, then you may like DVC.

I'm not sure if we're normal for DVC. We bought for the bigger rooms and the washer/drying in the rooms. We used to stay in a hotel or pay cash for a 1bdrm. With DVC we typically stay in a 2bdrm: me, DH, DS (4), DD (1), and sometimes my mom. We use the fridge for storing leftovers from eating out and bottled water. Sometimes we make coffee or tea. We like to lounge around in the living room or balcony. I like not pack for the entire trip and washing our bathing suits after going to the pool.

I've got 1n booked in a studio at VGF before moving to a 2bd for Thanksgiving. We'll see if we survive the cramped space ;)

Thank you all so much! As much as I want to be a DVC member, I don't think it works for our vacation style. :sad1: Great idea about cash room - I can still try it (as long as there is an available room!!) :upsidedow

There will undoubtedly be some cash rooms. When a DVC member wants to use points for DCL or ABD , use of those points go to CRO to book as cash rooms. A DVC member can no longer book those room(s) on points. In addition, DVc as a developer will take whatever cash they can get from CRO on unsold rooms they still own and maintain.

A couple things:

Room type Studio Jan
Points/week 148
Room type 1 BR Jan
Points/week 296
Room type Studio June
Points/week 199

Yikes! I can get a studio at OKW in Jan for 76 points and a one bedroom for 157. In June I can get the studio at OKW for 99 points.

Lake view BLT studio in Jan is 123 and June is 141. One bedroom lake view in Jan is 227.

Can we say points inflation??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter