Is DVC comping anything if *they* cancel a points reservation?

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
COVID-19 is not Disney's fault, and I have absolutely no problem with Disney keeping the parks and resorts closed in the name of public health and safety. If my upcoming late-May trip is cancelled by DVC, I will not be aggrieved and do not expect to be comped at all.

But are they comping anything for the reservations they've cancelled thus far? Again, I really don't care if they are or aren't, but as I look ahead to the possibility that my 5/23 res won't happen, and when I might reschedule, it would be good to know if DVC might offer us free dining or whatever. I'm more curious than anything else.

Please and thank you!

Right now, all points are being returned to their UY they came from, which means borrowed points go back.

Banking rules still hold but holding is being waived. Other than not, there is nothing DVC is giving owners

Right now, all points are being returned to their UY they came from, which means borrowed points go back.

Banking rules still hold but holding is being waived. Other than not, there is nothing DVC is giving owners

Is that only for dates the parks are closed? I’m using borrowed 2021 point for our September 2020 stay. Would those go back if I cancelled?

Is that only for dates the parks are closed? I’m using borrowed 2021 point for our September 2020 stay. Would those go back if I cancelled?

You’d have to call and ask. I know people have had success through June. I have not read about any that far out,

I don’t think they would do it for September at this point. They did it for my July reservation but that may have only been because I explained that when I canceled my April reservation the previous week, they had stopped putting borrowed points back and instead spread them out among my existing reservations to use them all up, so those points that they put back were originally part of my April reservations. I asked about a November reservation that has a couple borrowed points and they said that was too far out to qualify and they were only doing it through June.

It goes beyond the dates parks are closed. The first time I called I was told they were only handling the reservations until March 31. The second time I called, there wasn't any question. The CM just moved it. My dates were not declared closed and my borrow points were able to be put back. But I'm not sure if there's a cutoff far enough out.

It goes beyond the dates parks are closed. The first time I called I was told they were only handling the reservations until March 31. The second time I called, there wasn't any question. The CM just moved it. My dates were not declared closed and my borrow points were able to be put back. But I'm not sure if there's a cutoff far enough out.

I think they began to allow early April when it got closed to the April 1st open date which they probably knew wasn’t happening.

Now it says until further notice, so it’s hard to not apply because no date anymore.

We had booked a trip for my daughter beginning July 4. I called 2 days ago to cancel and was told the 56 points I borrowed would be put back, though it might take up to 30 days. When I saw they were put back yesterday I quickly "chatted" with a CM to confirm that what I was seeing was definitely a done deal and she confirmed (and I always email a transcript of any chats, just in case). BTW - I have popped into chats 3-4 times over the last few days with questions, and have gotten a CM immediately or within 2-3 minutes. Very pleased with that.

We had booked a trip for my daughter beginning July 4. I called 2 days ago to cancel and was told the 56 points I borrowed would be put back, though it might take up to 30 days. When I saw they were put back yesterday I quickly "chatted" with a CM to confirm that what I was seeing was definitely a done deal and she confirmed (and I always email a transcript of any chats, just in case). BTW - I have popped into chats 3-4 times over the last few days with questions, and have gotten a CM immediately or within 2-3 minutes. Very pleased with that.

It's funny (and frequently aggravating) that some CMs via chat can pull your res data and some claim they cannot.

COVID-19 is not Disney's fault, and I have absolutely no problem with Disney keeping the parks and resorts closed in the name of public health and safety. If my upcoming late-May trip is cancelled by DVC, I will not be aggrieved and do not expect to be comped at all.

But are they comping anything for the reservations they've cancelled thus far? Again, I really don't care if they are or aren't, but as I look ahead to the possibility that my 5/23 res won't happen, and when I might reschedule, it would be good to know if DVC might offer us free dining or whatever. I'm more curious than anything else.

Please and thank you!

i wouldn’t say they are “comping” free dining. People who had discounted package rooms have to pay full room price to get the free dining, People who had room only reservations (such as AP Holders) have to pay full price room plus ticket purchase. Free dining is a common promotion they have every year, they decided to make it available to get rooms booked for when they hope to reopen. I suspect they also wanted some cash flow with rebookings. Its very unlikely DVC will offer free dining because there is no cash in the deal. Requiring the full price room gives them cash to help pay for the dining.

i wouldn’t say they are “comping” free dining. People who had discounted package rooms have to pay full room price to get the free dining, People who had room only reservations (such as AP Holders) have to pay full price room plus ticket purchase. Free dining is a common promotion they have every year, they decided to make it available to get rooms booked for when they hope to reopen. I suspect they also wanted some cash flow with rebookings. Its very unlikely DVC will offer free dining because there is no cash in the deal. Requiring the full price room gives them cash to help pay for the dining.

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of the details and the ”why” of FD for cash customers who were cancelled and needed to rebook.

I just used FD as an obvious example of a ready-to-go “lure” to get DVC members to rebook sooner rather than later. Even if there’s no cash in play for the room, my thought was that Disney wants people back in the park ASAP spending money on tickets, merch, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter