Is DVC Antisemetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shira Gertz

Earning My Ears
So the promo advertised in our May/June brochure for Aladdin tickets (On Broadway) is only available on a major Jewish Holiday. Below is the email I sent to DVC. Let's see what they respond:
Dear Disney Vacation Club,
I love our DVC membership and have thoroughly enjoyed the little "bonuses" that come with membership - the perks. I was so excited in the last newsletter to see tickets for Aladdin on Broadway on sale - we live in Northern NJ and go to the theater a lot and have never seen Aladdin. I click through the choices to go book tickets and then realize the only available date (Only date the promotion was offered for) is a major Jewish Holiday - it is Rosh Hashannah eve. I imagine that a fair amount of your Northeastern DVC members who would use this promotion are Jewish (I know several). Whether this was an accidental over site of no one looking at a calendar or a purposeful decision it smacks of antisemitism. This is one of our most significant holidays and is the equivalent to planning a promo night on Christmas eve for the Christians. Please make another night that isn't a major holiday available.
Thank you,

I think it would be hard to find a day that isn't a holiday for someone.

I am guessing that they get the discount prices from the venue. And those may only be offered on days that the venue can't fill the seats. It just happens to be day that you can't or won't attend.

Edit to add: I don't see this as anti anything. Just a business deal.

Not disingenuous at all as Rosh Hashannah is a transliterated word and has eight different correct spellings in English. Yes the eve is part of the holiday Jewish holidays are sundown to sundown hence my comparison to Christmas Eve. This is also not a minor holiday but one of our two most holy days of the year. It surprises me that attendance would be down that day as it is a three to four day weekend for a lot of the schools in the Northeast so I would think parents may be traveling to NY for a long weekend.

Everyone is getting way to sensitive, it will get to a point that no one will talk to anyone because we will be to afraid of "offending" someone. Before I moved to Florida my husband and I went to Disney in January EVERY year, and lived in Missouri, which has a low percentage of DVC owners, meaning we NEVER got to take advantage of any of the special ticketed events, discounts, DVC freebie events, etc. It was always frustrating to me that I never got to attend special movie/shows, got to do free DVC summer events, christmas events, etc because of where I lived and when we choose to go. Did I cry and complain? No. We moved to Florida, and STILL use our DVC in January (for marathon weekend) and STILL can't take advantage of DVC perks most of the time because ... we aren't staying onsite in the summer, so I get to see free events advertised ad nauseum and can't participate ... because of where i live. I bought DVC for accommodations, anything else is gravy. And yes, if DVC offered free tickets to an event on Christmas eve, I would not be crying Disney is anti-Christian.

Jennifer

Op - Do you have the "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" mentality?

I see this happening more and more now days. People that feel if they complain to Disney they will get a freebie because Disney does not like disgruntled guests.
Suck it up.

Not antisemitic at all and this is coming from a fellow Jew. To be honest we make up what 2% of the US population. How many of that 2% is actually observant enough that going to a show on Rosh Hashanna would be a big deal. Just thinking of my inner circle I don't know of any that would automatically not go on the evening of October 2nd because it is Rosh Hashanna. Most of us don't go to temple until the first full day which is the 3rd this year.
Heck I remember the stink over the last Tower of Terror 10 miler being on the ending of Yom Kippur. Runners had to decide if they were willing to risk a 10 miler after having fasted for 24 hours. I still didn't take offense to it or assume it was antisemitic in nature.

Heck I remember the stink over the last Tower of Terror 10 miler being on the ending of Yom Kippur. Runners had to decide if they were willing to risk a 10 miler after having fasted for 24 hours. I still didn't take offense to it or assume it was antisemitic in nature.

Not to mention if you're observant you're going to have issues with some of the rundisney events because of the day they are held.

Not to mention if you're observant you're going to have issues with some of the rundisney events because of the day they are held.

True if you are orthodox but I believe that would be up to the individual. I don't know may conservative (and no reform) who would stay away from a running event simply because it is on Shabbat. Heck my Rabbi gives his full blessing and even suggested a travel kit I can bring that has, wait for it because it is scandalous, electric candles!

Sorry but IMO you're trying to create a slight where there is none.

totally agree. There are enough real slights in the world to go looking for them

As a Christian i wouldn't be slighted by someone organising something on Christmas Eve.

This reminds me of Faulty Towers "Don't mention the war" episode but i guess you'd probably have to be a Brit to understand that one.

Are you talking about Oct 2, the day the Member Cruise disembarks in NYC?

Are you talking about Oct 2, the day the Member Cruise disembarks in NYC?

Yep.

Edited because I got disembark and embark confused. Makes total busines sense if it is disembark day in NYC of member cruise.

Last edited:
It's a business thing. There is a reason the theatre picked that evening. It is probably not racism.

I didn't say it was racism that was OP. I just got disembark and embark confused (I usually do). Now realizing it is the night the cruise gets back and not leaves it makes 100% business sense to have it that night since a ton of DVC members will be in NYC.

Pretty sure it's purely a business decision, whereby any Jewish, Canadian, Chinese, Russian or Indian etc holidays are not even a factor in their decision. Sorry you can't attend-- I've never been able to attend anything (and do not take the inconvenient dates personally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter