Is DLP Paris worth it for an American?

I hope you enjoy it TACK. The Transatlantic cruise looks fun! I'm sure you'll have a great adventure. I haven't been to Barcelona but it's on my 'to visit' list - shouldn't be an issue as it's not that far to fly but it just never seems to happen as the family want to do other things. My travel wishlist seems to get longer every week :rolleyes:. When do you actually visit? I think 3 days is a great amount of time to see the place :dogdance:.
I am visiting in the middle of September. I leave Saturday evening and arrive around noon on Sunday. I figure I can get my bearings on Sunday and then do the parks. I am used to going to Disneyland/World by myself. I figure the way I do the parks will be no different in Disneyland Paris. Thankfully I do know a little French (I'm Canadian) so it may be easier for me to navigate. I will take it all in while I am there.

I am visiting in the middle of September. I leave Saturday evening and arrive around noon on Sunday. I figure I can get my bearings on Sunday and then do the parks. I am used to going to Disneyland/World by myself. I figure the way I do the parks will be no different in Disneyland Paris. Thankfully I do know a little French (I'm Canadian) so it may be easier for me to navigate. I will take it all in while I am there.

If you can navigate DL/WDW by yourself you will be fine in DLRP. The CMs all speak English really well, although a little French to them is, in my experience, always greeted with a smile and some gratitude.

A tip for you (as I'm sure you will do), download the park maps before you go off the main site and study them - the parks are really easy to navigate but with a little prior study you'll find this very easy and know where you want to be.

Mid September is a brilliant time crowd wise as all the children will be in school, so you will find it reasonably uncrowded.

This thread has been great to help me set my expectations. We are heading there June 2017 for 2 nights as part of a 2 week trip to Europe. We have been DL APs for years and visit WDW every 18 months or so. We are DVC so we are hoping to use points for our stay (which is why we need to stay 2 nights even though I'm thinking 1 day will be sufficient in the parks now). When does the 25th celebration kick off? Did I read April? Are there any unique characters? I'm expecting to see Marie - any chance Berlioz or Toulouse are around?

I think 2 nights, 3 days is the minimum you need to do the properly in my opinion. I'm always amazed by people who go for a day and then complain it was busy etc as I don't think they've had a chance to experience it properly.

Mid April - 12th I think, for the 25th celebrations. That day will be super crowded as they have press presence there too. Only the die hard fans will do that day!

There are rumours of rarer characters out for the celebrations and there will certainly be some on 12th April. No one knows right now. I have found many unusual characters at DLRP over the years that you don't see so much in the American parks - the likes of Max - Goofy's Son, Launchpad McQuack etc but they tend to be around for a while, then go again. Berlioz and Toulouse tend to be around for very rare appearances/events but that's not to say they won't be there for the anniversary next year - who knows right now.

Personally, I would not travel to Paris or Hong Kong or Tokyo just to see Disney, but if you are in the area it is interesting to see a non-American twist on an American classic. I have not been to Tokyo yet, but we visited a day or 2 in both DLP and DLHK as part of longer trips to those areas.

Personally, I would not travel to Paris or Hong Kong or Tokyo just to see Disney, but if you are in the area it is interesting to see a non-American twist on an American classic. I have not been to Tokyo yet, but we visited a day or 2 in both DLP and DLHK as part of longer trips to those areas.
How did you like DL paris as compared to DL Hong Kong then?
And did you find more other thingsto do in the area in paris or in Hong kong?

In my mind, the Paris parks don;t have to be as good as the US parks- hopefully they'd be different and enjoyable in their own ways.

That's a great mind set.
Bad news first: the park is currently a mess. Literally. The crown jewel of the park, Big Thunder Mountains, is closed and this means that the whole Frontierland is impacted with walls along the whole lake. And overall the number of closed attractions is depressing. I let my annual pass expire (I live in London), but I will go anyway only for the half marathon otherwise this year I would have skipped it. If you can, wait until 2017.

True: maintenance is not very good and general manners have a lower standard. Tolerance to smoke is different in the EU (but it's changing, I think).
Interaction with the CMs is often quite limited, but it's normal if you think about it. In the US you can expect every guest to speak english, in DLP there are visitors from all over Europe with their own language. So a CM wouldn't even know which language you speak unless you speak first.

But that said, I think DLP is a great park and it has its own charm. It's very interesting to see all the differences and how it has been adapted for Europe.
I have visited WDW, DLR, TDR and DLP, so my comparisons are based on those.
I think DLP has the best Fantasyland all over the world. And it's very nice that it has different architecture inspired to European countries, with the French, German, UK and Italian areas. It also has the best future-land area: in the other parks, Tomorrowland shows how future was imagined in the fifties, so looked with today eye it lost most of its magic. Discoveryland at DLP instead shows the timeless story of the future imagined by Jules Verne, it's like living in one of his books and in this sense it is eternal.
And it has the best Frontierland: it has a great story flow if you have the time to appreciate it, showing the different time stages of the conquer of the old west.

Unique (or different enough from the US versions) attractions in the main park:
- Bit thunder mountains: hands down the best version in the world and best attraction at the resort (unfortunately under refurbishment until the end of the year)
- Alice in Wonderland's labyrinth
- The Sleepping beauty castle (pretty walkthough in the castle and underground cavern with a dragon)
- Space Mountains (the name is the only similar thing, it's a much more intense ride)
- Nautilus (skippable walkthrough)
- Phantom Manor (the first half is similar, the second half is unique)
- Indiana Jones: it's a small roller coaster with one inversion and not the DL ride, unfortunately
- Afternoon parade
- Dreams. You must see it. It competes for the best Disney night show.

Unique in the studios:
- Cinemagique: an hidden gem. If you love cinema you'll love this
- Ratatuille: this and cinemagique are the two reasons to buy park hopper tickets
- Crush and Coaster: a very nice and well themed (inside, outside it's awful) spinnig coaster
- Toy story play land: a collection of flat rides, nice but not great
- Stitch live-or-whatever-it's-called (like Turtle talk, but with Stitch as the main character)
- A new show with Mickey that I've not seen yet
- Armageddon (bleah, worst attraction in the world, a waste of time)

Overall I'd say that for a Disney fan there's enough to spend at least a day just to enjoy the different and unique attractions, But you can spend easily 2-3 full days if you have the right expectations.
But Paris is just 45 minutes away and Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. With load of things to do and see. Frankly, to an American I'd suggest to spend at least 3-5 days in Paris before thinking about going to DLP.

Last edited:
That's a great mind set.
Bad news first: the park is currently a mess. Literally. The crown jewel of the park, Big Thunder Mountains, is closed and this means that the whole Frontierland is impacted with walls along the whole lake. And overall the number of closed attractions is depressing. I let my annual pass expire (I live in London), but I will go anyway only for the half marathon otherwise this year I would have skipped it. If you can, wait until 2017.

True: maintenance is not very good and general manners have a lower standard. Tolerance to smoke is different in the EU (but it's changing, I think).
Interaction with the CMs is often quite limited, but it's normal if you think about it. In the US you can expect every guest to speak english, in DLP there are visitors from all over Europe with their own language. So a CM wouldn't even know which language you speak unless you speak first.

But that said, I think DLP is a great park and it has its own charm. It's very interesting to see all the differences and how it has been adapted for Europe.
I have visited WDW, DLR, TDR and DLP, so my comparisons are based on those.
I think DLP has the best Fantasyland all over the world. And it's very nice that it has different architecture inspired to European countries, with the French, German, UK and Italian areas. It also has the best future-land area: in the other parks, Tomorrowland shows how future was imagined in the fifties, so looked with today eye it lost most of its magic. Discoveryland at DLP instead shows the timeless story of the future imagined by Jules Verne, it's like living in one of his books and in this sense it is eternal.
And it has the best Frontierland: it has a great story flow if you have the time to appreciate it, showing the different time stages of the conquer of the old west.

Unique (or different enough from the US versions) attractions in the main park:
- Bit thunder mountains: hands down the best version in the world and best attraction at the resort (unfortunately under refurbishment until the end of the year)
- Alice in Wonderland's labyrinth
- The Slipping beauty castle (pretty walkthough in the castle and underground cavern with a dragon)
- Space Mountains (the name is the only similar thing, it's a much more intense ride)
- Nautilus (skippable walkthrough)
- Phantom Manor (the first half is similar, the second half is unique)
- Indiana Jones: it's a small roller coaster with one inversion and not the DL ride, unfortunately
- Afternoon parade
- Dreams. You must see it. It competes for the best Disney night show.

Unique in the studios:
- Cinemagique: an hidden gem. If you love cinema you'll love this
- Ratatuille: this and cinemagique are the two reasons to buy park hopper tickets
- Crush and Coaster: a very nice and well themed (inside, outside it's awful) spinnig coaster
- Toy story play land: a collection of flat rides, nice but not great
- Stitch live-or-whatever-it's-called (like Turtle talk, but with Stitch as the main character)
- A new show with Mickey that I've not seen yet
- Armageddon (bleah, worst attraction in the world, a waste of time)

Overall I'd say that for a Disney fan there's enough to spend at least a day just to enjoy the different and unique attractions, But you can spend easily 2-3 full days if you have the right expectations.
But Paris is just 45 minutes away and Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. With load of things to do and see. Frankly, to an American I'd suggest to spend at least 3-5 days in Paris before thinking about going to DLP.

Zav.
really informative post- thank you.

What else is there to do In paris area beyond eifel tower and jim morisson's grave and lots of french food and the louvre? Is there a lot of other things to do also/

And you say you've been to Tokyo. The Disney Seas park looks amazing over there. Is that as good as it looks online? And is there much to do in the Tokyo area?

What else is there to do In paris area beyond eifel tower and jim morisson's grave and lots of french food and the louvre? Is there a lot of other things to do also/

Gare d'Orsay, Montmartre, a trip on the bateaux mouches, le Sacre Coeur, la citè de la science, a lot of shopping, the Opera, arc de tromphe et les champs elysee, jardin du luxembourg. And I've just scratched the surface. You can spend as much time as you want in Paris, from one day trip to two weeks.

And you say you've been to Tokyo. The Disney Seas park looks amazing over there. Is that as good as it looks online? And is there much to do in the Tokyo area?

The main park is beautiful, very well mantained, with amazing food. But it's nothing compared to Tokyo Disney Sea. That park is in a different category on its own. They say perfection doesn't exist: they've never been to Tokyo Disney Sea.

I haven't enjoyed Tokyo very much. All big cities in the world tend to be somehow similar now. If you take a walk in Ginza, along Regent street or on the 5th avenue, you can probably count 50% of identical shops. The neon lights in Shibuya are not that different from Times Square or Piccadilly Circus. Tokyo has been the last leg of my trip in Japan and somehow I arrived used to many of the differences of the Japanese culture, so it had less of an impact on me. Not saying it's not worth a visit (it certainly is) but I enjoyed Kyoto much more. Universal Studios Osaka are skippable if you've been to Orlando.

Last edited:
To the OP, in a word No. Judging by the tone of your post you don't seem to be as hard core Disney fanatics as some, you just seem to appreciate the parks in a more casual way. If that's the case then no, it really isn't worth taking time out of a European vacation to go to DLP. I have been to DLP twice DL 14 times and WDW 30+ times. After the first trip (honeymoon) to DLP filled with disappointing resort stays (Newport Beach), rude guests and CMs, smoking everywhere and just an overall lack of Disney Magic we decided to take a second trip with our expectations significantly lowered. The second trip was worse. The line cutting had gotten much more aggressive which I couldn't believe, maintenance was worse and the Disney magic was still nowhere to be found. That being said, I personally wouldn't go to Europe without hitting DLP and we're actually considering another trip in 2017 for the 25th. There are certainly differences but to a casual Disney fan they will be much more subtle. At DLP Space mountain loops, BTMRR is on an island, Haunted Mansion (Phantom Manor) is old west style and there is a dragon under the castle. Of course there are more differences but if you don't care that POC at DL is more than twice the length of the WDW version, not 11 seconds, then the other differences will probably be lost on you. The Studios are as much of a half-day park than WDW although I haven't been there since Ratatouille opened and I do have to say Cinemagique is my favorite stage show at any Disney park. If you go, do not plan for more than two days and skip the DLP resorts. None of them are up to US Disney standards.

I have been a long time lurker on this thread and have been laughing so much reading the constant back and forth that goes on; either for or against DLP.:crazy2:

So, to those of you who wanna see an honest "1st Timer" visitor blog to both the city of Paris and DLP and even possbily a hot air baloon ride over Paris -

stay tuned cuz in about 80 more days, I will be starting a Trip report called.....
wait for it......
wait for it.........

NOW!!

'My Adventures n Disneyland Paris, Fountainbleau & other assorted Sillines trip Report"
(I am celebrating cuz I am buying a new car)popcorn::

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

To the OP, in a word No. Judging by the tone of your post you don't seem to be as hard core Disney fanatics as some, you just seem to appreciate the parks in a more casual way. If that's the case then no, it really isn't worth taking time out of a European vacation to go to DLP. I have been to DLP twice DL 14 times and WDW 30+ times. After the first trip (honeymoon) to DLP filled with disappointing resort stays (Newport Beach), rude guests and CMs, smoking everywhere and just an overall lack of Disney Magic we decided to take a second trip with our expectations significantly lowered. The second trip was worse. The line cutting had gotten much more aggressive which I couldn't believe, maintenance was worse and the Disney magic was still nowhere to be found. That being said, I personally wouldn't go to Europe without hitting DLP and we're actually considering another trip in 2017 for the 25th. There are certainly differences but to a casual Disney fan they will be much more subtle. At DLP Space mountain loops, BTMRR is on an island, Haunted Mansion (Phantom Manor) is old west style and there is a dragon under the castle. Of course there are more differences but if you don't care that POC at DL is more than twice the length of the WDW version, not 11 seconds, then the other differences will probably be lost on you. The Studios are as much of a half-day park than WDW although I haven't been there since Ratatouille opened and I do have to say Cinemagique is my favorite stage show at any Disney park. If you go, do not plan for more than two days and skip the DLP resorts. None of them are up to US Disney standards.
Michael

A couple of things- We may appreciate a significantly different version than what we're used for but minor differences are not going to make a big difference. If you like Pirates or Thunder Mt, I think you'll like it all over and the reverse is equally true despite any minor differences from park to park.

This is the first I've heard about line cutters. I have not had that problem travelling elsewhere in Europe or at US Disney parks. I'm not a small person so people dont tend to do that. i wouldn't take very kindly to it either.
Hey if there's 4 people in line and one of them runs off to the restroom or to get a soda, that's fine. If it;s one person holding a spot for 4 others, I just say you're not going to pass me period. At least in the US, the idiots who try to do this know that the cast members will back me up and tell them to go to the back of the line so it has never been an issue. It's just not my way to bite my tongue and develop ulcers.

Line cutting is an issue in DLRP period. I have confronted people before at DLRP for cutting in and when I got to the CM at the front of the line I told them what had happened (they did nothing!) - said queue cutters pretended they didn't understand me but it was obvious - they were Spanish as I could tell from their language! Shame on 4 fully grown adults (and I'm talking Grandma and Grandpa and 'Daughter and Son In Law') cutting in front of two whole rows of young children who are standing patiently in line!! Us Brits like to queue - it's what we are known for! But unfortunately in much of Europe - and I am not going to stereotype certain countries - they don't do queues. It doesn't make it right though!

Having said all that, last trip I noticed it was much better than in the past and I've read people saying they've tried hard to improve this at DLRP. In particular, character meets are more orderly now and a queue is usually formed and enforced - which is great as those scrums we got used to when we first used to go were horrific and people could get injured - I used to keep my children back for fear of that!

I experienced cutting in at WDW last year - didn't experience at US funnily enough. But did twice in 3 weeks at WDW - young groups of Americans say 16+, they were never dealt with by any CMs but then I'm not sure the CM saw it. But it does happen.

If you stand your ground you'll be fine - but it is sad that you sometimes have to do this. My pet hate is me standing at the front of say a kerb for a parade (I've been there an hour waiting with my children) and then a whole family come up in stand in front of you on the road, ten mins before start! A CM then tells them they can't stand there, they must be on the path, so they look at you to move back to let them kerbside....! Ugh!!

Michael, admit it, you secretly love the place, yes? ;) :goodvibes :goodvibes
I think it's more that I know the US parks so well that I like the challenge of tackling and unfamiliar (yet still somewhat familiar) park. I really want to go to Tokyo but the flight time/cost is still a bit prohibitive, but I'm saving. I don't love DLP but I don't hate it either. It's still Disney but it is a very different experience from the US parks can we all agree on that? Off topic I saw on the DLP site that Pirates is closed spring until summer 2017. Any guesses what summer 2017 actually means for a reopening date?

I'm sorry to hear of recent trips that didn't seem very Disney.

I will be in London in September, as it will probably be my only trip to London I decided to tack on a day or two and go to Paris/DLP. This being said I know there will be closures. I'm only doing one day and will get a PH so that I can go see the Studios as well. I wish there would be more open but I figure it's one of those things I really will regret not experiencing if I skip it because of closures or that it is not 'as' Disney as I'm used too. So I'm going to go in with a Disney attitude and take Paris for what it is. I learned after trips to the west and east coast Disney's that you really can't compare parks they are all their own little bubble.

I will say however that this trip is my 50th Birthday present to myself and I'm a little sad that they don't do Birthday Buttons.

They do have birthday buttons now :D Right now only available at some of the hotels, but my guess is in september you can get them at City Hall too. Hope you have a great birthday in DLP! CM do reacte very friendly and genuinly happy when they see your b-day button.

I think Zavandor's post sums it up pretty nice!
We love to go to DLP! Although it is a mess right now I agree. So many closed rides and scaffolding takes away a bit of the disney magic. Then again, we always take a 4-5 day trip and will take that time even now with all the refurb going on. We are people who like to take things one step at a time. We enjoy sitting on a bench (with ice cream preferably) looking around at the place, the people. We love all the details the park has to offer. We even find time to enjoy WDS, because in contrary to all the horror stories you read on here and on the internet, you actually can enjoy it! The live band inside of studio 1, the little shop of the art of Animation building and the Rattatouille area (including the ride) are a couple of things we like a lot!

Best tips are already given to you; just don't compare the parks. Keep an open mind and you will have a couple of great days here :)

They do have birthday buttons now :D Right now only available at some of the hotels, but my guess is in september you can get them at City Hall too. Hope you have a great birthday in DLP! CM do reacte very friendly and genuinly happy when they see your b-day button.

How cool. I know that a vlogger couple I watch was there in April and they had stickers that were Birthday themed about the same size as the buttons from the US parks so I was happy to see that. I'll be really happy if they have the buttons (as I'll be there during my actual birthday month) and I think a button from DLP would be a really neat memento.

ChSpoWEWIAQO2bi.jpg

They look like this! :D pic credit: ED92

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter