Is DLP gay-friendly?

Jenny Ellis

Earning My Ears
I'm new! :goodvibes Hi everyone! :wave2:

I have an awkward question and I must admit I'm a bit worried about asking... :sad2: as I don't know how it will be received. :confused3

I last visited DLP with a group of friends in '96 (if my memory serves me correctly) and don't remember a lot about it. I am planning to go back after having it recommended to me by friends & family, but I would like to go with my partner. Here's the catch - we're a lesbian couple. We don't have kids (yet) so it would just be the two of us.

Like I said, I don't remember much of my last trip so I don't remember how the rooms were laid out or how gay-friendly the place was in general. What worries me is that A) it's France and French people don't have a reputation of being liberal and B) it's a family resort and maybe it's frowned upon. We're planning to book with a travel agent. Would a travel agent assume we were just friends and put us in single beds or (gasp) seperate rooms? Would we get funny looks at the hotel..? Would we be able to have a romantic dinner together without being stared at? All these questions are going round in my mind..... I just want us to have a nice peaceful holiday!

Has anyone ever traveled to DLP resort as a gay couple or know's someone who has? :blush: I need my mind to be put at rest before we start getting to excited at the prospect of going!!

Also I have a quick question not related to this. ::MinnieMo I have been reading the posts and see people referring to their family members (I presume) as DH, DD, DS, DW etc. I assume the second letter means husband, daughter etc. but does the D stand for Disney? Just curious. :rolleyes:

Right, that's all for now! sorry for the awkward question. and I apologise if it makes anyone feel uncomfortable. I'm very wary of the fact that I might offend when talking about these things. :sad2:

Hi,

there wont be any problem. A lot of friends of us are gay and go to DLRP almost every month.
All the DLRP-Hotel rooms have two queenbeds which sleeps 4 or a queen and a bunkbed (Cheyenne, Mövenpick, Kyriad and Holiday Inn).

The last two year they had gay days at the first weekend of October.

And I think the french people are as liberal as all europeans.

As I thinks a high % of the Disneyfans are gay it wont be a problem at all.
Start your planning and enjoy your trip

have fun
Renate

Jenny,

Not sure where you got the idea that the French are conservative. I would think it to be the opposite. I moved to France from the US because France allows homosexual couples to enter into a civil union. Based on this civil union I was able to obtain papers to live and work in France. This is something my French partner was unable to do in the US. In fact if they found out we were a couple they would be more inclined to kick him out. We can also file taxes together and are protected as a couple under French law. Bottom line, I have more civil liberties here in France than I ever did as a second class citizen in the US.

To answer your question, you will have zero problems as a lesbian couple at DLP. It is very gay friendly. My partner and I travel around France together all the time and get a room with one bed. No one has ever batted an eye. Have a great time and dont worry about it!

Hi Jenny, and welcome to the DIS. :wave2:

Here is a list of most of the abbreviations used on this boards, including the DH, DD etc for which the D can stand for Dear, Darling or Disney, or anything else you prefer!! :teeth:

Hi Jenny and welcome to Disboard.
Your partner and yourself should have a wonderful time.

Reid

Welcome Jenny. I'm also relatively new. :)

Like the others have said, you won't have any trouble! I've only ever been to DLP with my friends or family, but I will be going with my (female) partner this year (I am also female) and I'm not worried at all. France isn't really that conservative at all, and I can't imagine you'd experience any hostility from anyone. Really, don't worry. :)

Start planning your holiday and have a great time!

The French are not flawless (I am French ;) ), but they are certainly not conservative (at least the large majority). :teeth:
It is well known that a lot of cast members there are gay themselves, that's one other reason most gays fell 'welcome' there. :flower3:
You may be interested in the unofficial gay event, as it has already been said. the website is http://www.weekendgay.com/
Have fun !!! ;)

First of all, :wave: and welcome!

I would not call France conservative either. Yes, some people are (no nation goes entirely in one political direction), but it's definitely overall liberal. I'd guess that the only potential problem with getting a room with one bed will be the true availability of such rooms (i.e. if it's crowded, and there's a particularly high demand for these rooms).

Have fun on your trip! :cool1: ::MinnieMo

Welcome Jenny! :)

My experience is that France is very accepting and tolerant :)

Hi and welcome Jenny!! Your question reminded me of our trip to WDW last year. We were on a very packed bus back to the resort late one evening but were lucky enough to get seats. On the seat right in front of us were a lesbian couple who spent the entire journey trying to eat one another! It's really hard when you're right behind someone to look elsewhere and we had sore necks by the time we got back!!! :rotfl: However I must say we would have found that just as uncomfortable if it had been a heterosexual couple - you just don't want to see that!!! :rotfl2: I'm sure you won't do that however!!! Have a wonderful trip together!! :sunny:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post! Much appreciated!

MorganB and Bonnie it is good to hear from people who are gay and have had trips to DLP with no problem. Puts my mind at rest!

Don't really know where I got the idea about French being conservative to be honest! Maybe the fact that there were gay marriage disputes recently? Don't know really! I suppose they're more advanced than Britain with the civil unions anyway.

Thanks Bexx for the abbreviations list. That will come in handy!

PeterPan1 I didn't realise DLP had a gay weekend. I knew about the American ones but not about this one. We were hoping to go in Summer but maybe October would be a good time. Who knows. :)

diberry that would disturb me too! Lesbian, gay or straight! Cuddling is one thing but there is a line you shouldn't cross in public!

Thank you all. I feel much better about the whole thing. I will be sure to post here again if I have anymore questions\!

I went to DLP two weeks ago with my boyfriend, who is French. There were no problems at all. We did not stay at a Disneyland hotel, but during our hotel stay in Paris we were well received and treated just like everyone else. The Parisians seem to be comfortable with homosexuality. In fact, their mayor is gay. I have been to France four times and never experienced or noticed any anti-gay prejudice.

Well, what can I add more here. My boyfriend and I have never ever encountered any problems. Just go and have fun. ;)

Hi :earsboy:

We have stayed at Disneyland Hotel several times in the past, and we have never been treated any different! :thewave:

Tha Castle Club staff have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome, they even arranged a romantic evening at The Blue Bayou (The resturant inside Pirates of the Carrebian) pirate: for us when we had trouble deciding on where to go for dinner one evening. :teeth:

The maid also arranged our personal belongings in two His & His matching baskets in the bathroom. ::yes::

So I must say that DLP is very gay friendly! :love2:

Hi Jenny & welcome to the boards!

I agree, Paris (and France on the whole) is very liberal in it's views. My Partner and myself have never had a single bad reaction.

And another good thing is that I have *yet* to see a bad reaction to a question of this sort on these boards either. So don't worry!

Have fun Paul.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter