Is Disneyland as magical as Disney World ?

The hotels right across the street from Harbor are really no farther than walking from the Contemporary, through the parking lot, across the road, down the path to the MK. Walking through the Contemporary parking lot, and the road intersection is not exactly screaming "Disney Magic" at you either. And the Anaheim Resort district makes everything nicer than it was in the 80s and 90s. The farther down Harbor, or on Katella leaves you outside the bubble a little more, but don't fear "not staying at a Disney Hotel."

I love Disneyland more than I love anything at WDW. Size is not always better, Disneyland has a charm that is hard to explain that comes from being Walt's Park.

I visit DLR way more often than WDW. While I do stay onsite in WDW, I never stay onsite in DLR and I don’t miss any ‘bubble’ just because I have to walk to my hotel on South Harbor. I actually find DLR to be the more magical park. I like WDW but I LOVE Disneyland.

As a lifelong Disneyworld visitor and someone who just visited Disneyland, no the Disney magic was not there for me(although it was very fun local theme park!). But thats because I see my Disney trips as week long resort vacation with all the trimmings. Disneyland just isn't setup to offer that.

Last edited:
Having been to Disney World a couple of years ago and Universal this year, and having had a wonderful time at both, we’d really like to repeat the experience next year.

It seems too soon, though, to return to those parks so we’re considering Disneyland.

There are a few things putting me off though.

One of the magical things about Disney World (and to a lesser extent, Universal) is that the size and layout mean you can shut out the real world and live the fantasy (particularly if you stay on site).

The fact that Disneyland has the urban jungle right up against the walls really puts me off.

What do others think? Did you manage to immerse yourself in the Disney fantasy?

I see size come up in a lot in these comparisons and that certainly does not translate to a more magical experience. I'm going to Disneyland for my first time this Sept and am more excited than I ever have been for WDW because, for 1, its new, and 2 - it is literally the park that Walt built and walked around in. That to me makes it extremely magical.

I find DLR much more magical, especially if you stay on-site. I get pulled out of the magic at WDW every time I have to catch a bus, boat or monorail to get somewhere. (For those that haven’t been to WDW the monorail is simply a transportation device and not nearly as fun as DLR!). Every time I have to stand at a bus depot or boat dock and smell those never ending fumes from the buses & boats the “magic” is drained. DLR has none of that nonsense, walk park to park without freeways/expressways between you and your destination. DLR is the more immersive if on-site comparing, even offsite the walk from a couple of the Harbor Hotels close to the entrances is shorter than the walk from Contemporary to MK.

I agree with this aside from the monorail, and in a smaller extent the friendship boat, which for me are part of the magic at WDW. But the buses pull me out every time but WDW is STILL magical to me. It doesn't need to be 100% full on immersion for me to enjoy it. I don't need a luxury hotel and valet service to have a magical experience

When we come to Disneyland we stay across the street and honestly only use the hotel to sleep, once I walk across the cross walk and see the esplanade I am fully immersed in Disney. I love how easy DL is to plan, (although sometimes I miss the planning of WDW), I also love that Walt actually had his hands on many of the attractions etc that are still there.

It also is nice to be able to park hop a few times a day if we desire too with no waits for transportation etc. We have just over a month till my toes hit DL and I can't wait. We are also planning a trip to WDW early December 2020 and flying to DL for a few days that trip before coming home. Hubby might be a little done with Disney when we get home but I can't wait.

I have gone to both DL and WDW quite a few times. I always feel the magic whenever I go to both places even when I stay offsite at DL. (Note: we only stay onsite at WDW)

As someone else pointed out, they are slightly different experiences but that doesn't make the magic any less. I love being able to hop from DL to DCA and back to DL without having to take transportation. That's HUGELY magical to me.

There are also the differences between DL and MK such as the Matterhorn and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride being at DL but not WDW.

tl;dr There's plenty of magic around :)

I want to preface this by saying that I visited WDW last year and loved it. Bubble or not, the magic lies at Disneyland for me. That could be because I like my vacations to be walk-able and I'm also a big fan of Walt Disney the man, but Walt's park will forever win this contest for me.

I question whether you will find Disneyland magical because of your statement that you feel it’s too soon to go to WDW again. I *have* to go to Disneyland every year. I can’t explain it; I’m excited for months ahead. As I’m planning I wish I could be there today. Then, after my trip my disneymeter is full for a year and I’m usually quite ready to go home and sick of the park and traveling. If you have that level of excitement for Disney I think you’ll be happy at Disneyland but I’m not sure from your post if you do.

As a lifelong Disneyworld visitor and someone who just visited Disneyland, no the Disney magic was not there for me(although it was very fun local theme park!). But thats because I see my Disney trips as week long resort vacation with all the trimmings. Disneyland just isn't setup to offer that.
It is though, you just have to stay at GCH or DLH.

I feel like Disneyland is more magical than Disney World. It’s the original, it’s Disney history, it’s sweet and small. Disneyland is still 100% immersive where you don’t see or here anything from outside, but FYI that’s not at all the case with Universal Hollywood. I love that when I want to go to another park or my hotel that I don’t have to wait 30 minutes for the bus that was supposed to show up ages ago and then getting crushed in with families of crying screaming children for a long slow ride- you can just walk anywhere you need to go here. To me that less stressful experience and time saved is highly valuable. I can see how others feel that the transportation (buses, monorail, boats) are part of the magic out there but IMO they are just part of the hassle.

The Disney bubble is alive and well in California. We went on kind of a "once in a lifetime" trip to Disneyland and stayed at the Grand Californian. It was the Disney experience to a T. It is a funny feeling driving onto the property with regular businesses and homes on one side of the street and seeing the backside of Carsland on the other. But once on the property, you really don't hear, see or realize the urban setting around you. Yeah, if you ride the monorail or have certain sightlines you might see something, but it is a non-factor, IMO.

I think in some ways, Disneyland is more magical. It's where it all started. The vibe, as some others have said, is more laid back. It kind of reminds me of the Disney World of my childhood where you'd occasionally happen across a character out and about without the regimented locations, times and lines that are now a part of the WDW character experience. WDW is certainly bigger and has more places/things/activities to offer, but as a Disney fan, there's just nothing quite like Disneyland. It has the history and a familiar, yet totally unique magical feel.

I guess when it comes to magic, I've never felt the magic in a Disney park that I felt when I walked out of Disneyland on our last evening and turned to look at the lamp that was lighting up Walt's apartment. WDW will always be my home park and happy place, but Disneyland is Walt's. That is all the magic I need to make me want to get back out there whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Oh yeah, I read that. Decent trip report. I disagree with most of it. I feel like if anyone looks at the GCH and says meh than I don’t really get what they want out of a Disney resort.
I also find the idea of hearing CMs just talk about something in their lives that might not be Disneyfied is a strange standard of bubble that I don’t think I would actually want.
Oh well, I guess.

I also only go to Disneyland for a day at a time, and I think that can have a different effect. I definitely felt more IMMERSED in DisneyWorld because I was there for a week ...

First let me say that I went to Disneyland in 1956 at the age of 5. That hooked me for life. Back then it was just the one park and what is now CA was a huge parking lot. We only did one day trips once a year, but it was the best day of the year for me.

As an adult with my own kids we did longer trips since we came from Northern California. I just love going for 5 days and soaking it in. We used to go almost every year, but that tapered off as the kids grew up. So, going back every few years is something I really look forward to.

After a fairly long absence we happened to be in Newport Beach for a couple days and decided to do a 1-day at DL. So it involved driving to the parking structure, taking the tram and finally at the end of the day waiting for that tram and driving back to Newport. I loved it but I have to say that doing a one-day visit like that is not nearly as magical as staying for several days and not having to deal with driving, parking, transportation, etc. Definitely, staying for several days is so much more immersive.

Disneyland is more magical IMO. It is by far my favourite. There are way more rides in that park than walking around forever at Magic Kingdom between rides. It was Walt's park, so there are still touches of Walt. Pirates is superior. Space Mountain is superior. There are just so many more rides. Make sure you try a Tigger Tail (from the candy store by the Winnie the Pooh ride). They can't be bought anywhere but Disneyland and they are so yummy.

WDW may have a lot more attractions and is way bigger but ... I enjoy the fact that Disneyland isn't as big because it really makes me feel like I'm in a different world literally. I think it's why I love Disneyland because it's a whole other world that when I enter it just immediately wraps me up in all my favorite Disney things and helps me forget life for a bit .
I

I honestly don't feel the "way more attractions" bit. IMO you have to really work to get to the attractions at WDW. Disneyland is packed full of rides and attractions (as well as California Adventure).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter