Is Disney Movie Club worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommy2savannah

Mouseketeer
Anyone here a member of the Disney movie club? I was thinking of joining since we usually buy a few disney movies every year for dd4. Are there any hidden fees and will I really be saving $$ if I join? TIA:rotfl:

I'm curious to find out about this b/c between me and my MIL, our kids are always getting Disney movies throught the year.

Here is how it works out:

You have to buy 5 movies at club prices in order to receive the 3 for $1.99/each

$1.99 for 3 movies for joining = $6.00
$14.95 club special price plus $3.95 shipping = $18.85
$9.95 club special price plus $1.00 shipping = $10.95

Then 3 more movies at a minimum of $19.95 each plus shipping.

So for 8 movies you would pay about $110.00. If you figure each movie would cost you $20 in the store you would save about $50. Where they can get you (i know because they got us a couple times) is they send you a featured selection every month. If you don't send it back within a certain timeframe you have to pay full price for it.

My recommendation is if you join then fulfill you membership obligation immed. and cancel it so you don't have to worry about it. Most of the movies can be found in store for less then the $19.95 price they charge anyway

Where they can get you (i know because they got us a couple times) is they send you a featured selection every month. If you don't send it back within a certain timeframe you have to pay full price for it.

But you can go online to your account and tell them yes or no on that movie. It's only if you do NOT tell them that they send it (except I've read of one or two people where they replied "no" and it was sent anyway).

Each time but once I've say "no" and they haven't sent anything. The one time I say "yes and another thing too" everything went fine, and we got our movies in time for Yule.

I still have 3 more movie purchases to go.:upsidedow

I'd say the biggest issue is the shipping costs, but there ARE times where you can get free shipping if you order 2 movies. So, after you get the initial shipment, you should probably WAIT to fulfill your commitment until the free shipping periods if you can.

I've "done" the DMC twice, and it was worth it to me both times. I fulfilled the minimum requirement for purchases, made sure to decline the selection each month (unless I wanted it of course), and cancelled as soon as I was done. I like it because they have some titles there that I couldn't get elsewhere! I think I've got everything in my collection that I want now, so I doubt I'll join again. When new releases come out it's cheaper to just get them at Target or wherever that first week when they're on sale.

I am a movie club member and have been long past fulfilling my committment. The committment process for me was two years, so I found that the best value was to wait till a movie was the movie of the month and I would purchase the double feature (for example, movie of the month in December one year was Santa Clause 2 and the bonus was Santa CLause 1). Both movies would be 34.95 with free shipping. This worked out to be a little more than $17 a movie, which was comparable (or cheaper to in store purchase). Only the first movie would go towards my committment (movie must be $19.95 or higher). But over the course of two years, doing this 5 times, my committment was fulfilled. I have chosen to maintain my membership because you are given VIP status upon committment completion and VIP are given some extra perks. This past C'mas all movies were 50% off for VIP members. I think I got something like 15 movies and paid $110. A great deal for hard to find titles! Hope this helps you with your decision!

I also belonged. I liked it. The only thing, I ended up getting sent 2 of the feature titles. I thought I declined them online, but they said I didn't. I could have sent them back, but I just kept them. I just canceled my membership, but I intend to do it again, in the near future. The shipping is expensive 3.95 for first movie then 1.00 for each additional. So next time, I am just going to fulfill my obligation in one shipping package to save on some money. Then I will cancel my membership so I am not sent any extra movies.

I'm glad to read this because we just joined this weekend :goodvibes We're trying to switch over our gazillion vhs tapes to dvd...gotta get the two-year-old up on the disney characters for our trip :wizard:

I found a code that gave me 5 free and I paid $14.95 for one my total was $15.95 for 6 movies and I only have to buy 4 over the next two years. I jsut did it last week.

Any Canadians who belong to the Disney Movie Club? The club DOES work out cheaper when buying all that you can upfront, but I wonder :confused3 what "regular" price is on average for a good movie. They say reg. price starts at $19.99, but that could be for some sing-along type video for all I know. I'm wondering what their price is for a classic movie, like Lady & the Tramp, Toy Story, and such. I wonder if that's where they getcha!

Thanks and Happy Canada Day!!

For your specific examples, but in US dollars...

Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition is $21.95

Uh oh, I don't see Lady and the Tramp. googled...Looks like that movie went back into the "Disney vault" in 2006, so you can't get it at all from Disney.

From what I've seen, the Sing-Alongs, and that style, are much cheeper than the $19.99, BUT, they don't count towards your total purchase commitment unless you buy them in the initial purchase. Does that make sense? Only the higher dollar movies count towards the purchase commitment.

That said, there's now a link off of Ebates for the Disney Movie Club for $11 back. http://www.ebates.com/search/all.htm?store_name=Disney+Movie+Club I haven't tried it yet, but, hey, an extra $11 would really make the club worthwhile!

I don't know about where you live, but there are tons of Disney movies that are like brand new at our Goodwill store here for $1.99. That's how we buy them. Alot of times we find them at garage sales extra cheap too.

We're Members and Canadian... I mainly like it because it saves me from forgetting about the movies I want to get the kids... I get the email and am like "Oh yeah... I want that, and order it". Not sure how much money you actually save... probably a few bucks over the long haul...but I like it for the convenience in building a collection. And the online forms are so much easier than mailing in you selections like the "olden days"

I joined Disney Movie Club and it is SO not worth it! The new movies do not come out on the site until at least a month after being released. And then they are $20+. At our Walmart and Target, if you buy a movie the same week it is released, they only cost about $15...which is a much better deal! DMC also sent me to collections for 2 movies that I did not order and never received (and no it was on the selection of the month movies, I cancelled the selection of the month when I started the account). Its been a huge mess!

My recommendation is if you join then fulfill you membership obligation immed. and cancel it so you don't have to worry about it. Most of the movies can be found in store for less then the $19.95 price they charge anyway

This is what we did! We used the membership to buy all the movies we wanted until we filled the obligation. Then there really weren't too many more movies we were interested in for several months so we cancelled it.

It's great to start or significantly build a Disney library, but not so great if you just buy a few movies a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter