• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Disney going broke

No. Disney isn't going broke. However that article is accurate. The Walt Disney Co. is the worst performing stock in the Dow Jones Industrial Average for the past year.
Which is why we are seeing more things come back in their entirety. i.e. the return of MNSSP and likely MVMCP.

Disney is not going broke, their last quarterly profits show that and I am sure the profits for this year's first quarter will show results in a few days will further support. Remember, they have suspended paying out dividends to help recover from Pandemic losses and to help pay down debt. As for Breitbart, this is a far right website as Politico is a far left website. No problem in reading both as long as you realize what the political agenda is for both of them.

Stock price day to day (or even year to year at times) has very little to do with a company's underlying financials.

Their EPS (amount they earned for every share of stock outstanding) was about $1.70 last year and is predicted to be $6 per share next year- that's an increase in earnings of over 300% in two years.

In short: they're fine.

They were more broke after they bought 21st Century Fox for $71+ billion. Disney makes billions in profits every year. For now they are not going broke. Anything is possible in the future.

stock prices have little to do with profit. Stock is how valuable a bunch of MBA analysts chained to their computers think a company should be, and they place a bet on whether that value will increase or decrease. Whether a company is going broke is a function of revenue - expenses = profit/loss. It’s far more nuanced than that,

As you say, it's far more complicated then that. Although stock price is not directly related to revenue, stock price can affect the ability to secure loans and financing which could affect Disney's ability to create new rides and other guest attractants (not to mention build IP and content). Disney is not so big that they can self-finance everything they want to do or that unfavorable loan conditions would not drag on the company's bottom line.

Having said all that, I agree with others - Disney is not going broke. However, they do have the "honor" of being the worst preforming stock in the Dow and it does make them potentially a target for a hostile takeover. Do I think that's likely? Not really - after all, they were down to the 90's previously and although a few companies eyed them, no one took a bite. But if someone wanted a deal on Disney, they are at market bottom prices right now.

I also think it's going to take them a while to pull back out of this slump. I do not consider them a great stock to buy up right now. Sure they will probably eventually recover and you will probably make some money in the long run, but there are better deals to be had that will be far more profitable in a shorter timeframe.

I wish irony were worth money. Two things can be true at once- their stock is performing miserably, and they likely aren't going out of business in most of our lifetimes. Attacking the source (not the substance) for bias, showing you have an implicit bias yourself, is like the thousand dollar bill of irony.

I wish irony were worth money. Two things can be true at once- their stock is performing miserably, and they likely aren't going out of business in most of our lifetimes. Attacking the source (not the substance) for bias, showing you have an implicit bias yourself, is like the thousand dollar bill of irony.
I made no comment on whether or not the assertion is true. I simply stated that I wouldn’t be making my decision based on that source, and why.

As you say, it's far more complicated then that. Although stock price is not directly related to revenue, stock price can affect the ability to secure loans and financing which could affect Disney's ability to create new rides and other guest attractants (not to mention build IP and content). Disney is not so big that they can self-finance everything they want to do or that unfavorable loan conditions would not drag on the company's bottom line.

Having said all that, I agree with others - Disney is not going broke. However, they do have the "honor" of being the worst preforming stock in the Dow and it does make them potentially a target for a hostile takeover. Do I think that's likely? Not really - after all, they were down to the 90's previously and although a few companies eyed them, no one took a bite. But if someone wanted a deal on Disney, they are at market bottom prices right now.

I also think it's going to take them a while to pull back out of this slump. I do not consider them a great stock to buy up right now. Sure they will probably eventually recover and you will probably make some money in the long run, but there are better deals to be had that will be far more profitable in a shorter timeframe.
Hostile takeovers are extremely rare and I don't think there's ever been one attempted in history for a company the size of Disney. Elon Musk had to borrow against everything he owns and sell a bunch of Tesla to buy Twitter and it's far smaller than Disney.

Numbers-wise, to do a "hostile takeover", a company would have to spend over $100 billion at the current price to buy 50%+ 1 share of Disney (thus giving them control).

I made no comment on whether or not the assertion is true. I simply stated that I wouldn’t be making my decision based on that source, and why.

The facts are pretty easily verifiable as it isn't subjective- Is TWDC stock the worst performer in the Dow Jones Industrial Average for the past year? And the answer is yes. You said it yourself- you didn't even bother to check if it was true. I've got news for you, every news source you can name is propagandized in some form.

The facts are pretty easily verifiable as it isn't subjective- Is TWDC stock the worst performer in the Dow Jones Industrial Average for the past year? And the answer is yes. You said it yourself- you didn't even bother to check if it was true. I've got news for you, every news source you can name is propagandized in some form
Thanks for the news. I’m aware of media bias and gave my opinion on the source. Giving no opinion is not the same as “not bothering to check if it was true.” You seem to want to make my opinion something it wasn’t. Stop.

Thanks for the news. I’m aware of media bias and gave my opinion on the source. Giving no opinion is not the same as “not bothering to check if it was true.” You seem to want to make my opinion something it wasn’t. Stop.

You're very welcome.

The article worked for what it intended to do ... while it began factually ... the remaining article took the factual data point to support a completely different perspective which incompletely painted a view of "financial trouble" due to "xyz" - mission accomplished ...

Off topic but I just read about magic bands+ and expect ppl to buy them…. And keep going back.

We were thinking off doing less Disney vacations bc we hate genie plus, lightening lanes, etc— but this new magic band has caught my attn.

So maybe we will continue beung DVC/AP/yearly visitors (we live 2.5-3hrs by plane)

Im usually one of the masses- so if I think this way, many are as well….

Off topic but I just read about magic bands+ and expect ppl to buy them…. And keep going back.

We were thinking off doing less Disney vacations bc we hate genie plus, lightening lanes, etc— but this new magic band has caught my attn.

So maybe we will continue beung DVC/AP/yearly visitors (we live 2.5-3hrs by plane)

Well done friend, well done. It’s just on the edge without going over the top.

Hostile takeovers are extremely rare and I don't think there's ever been one attempted in history for a company the size of Disney. Elon Musk had to borrow against everything he owns and sell a bunch of Tesla to buy Twitter and it's far smaller than Disney.

Numbers-wise, to do a "hostile takeover", a company would have to spend over $100 billion at the current price to buy 50%+ 1 share of Disney (thus giving them control).
Just a nurse here without an MBA but if I remember correctly didn't Comcast try a hostile takeover of Disney in the 90's

I am one of the masses too. Had 650 DVC points and all 5 of us had APs. Was adding DVC left and right in hopes to get enough to snow bird there. But then all the changes happened and we became disenchanted. Now we are down to 300 points and 2 APs. Used to do almost 3 weeks a year and now will do random nights here and there as we bought a house in Kissimmee. And no buying Genie+ for us. We paid to ride one ride (1st time to try Mickey's Runaway Railway and talk about a waste of $20 each). Don't care to ride the rides or do the dining anymore. Only thing we enjoy now is Epcot festivals and hanging at DS. May not even need to keep our APs. And considering getting a Universal pass. Haven't even looked at this new MB thing. Saw mention on FB but don't care. Won't EVER pay for a MB. Do just fine with our old ones and when they die (only seem to last 2 years) we will do just fine with a plastic card like DD-23 just had to use since she lost her MBs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter