Is Disney cutting back on the bananas in Tonga Toast?

EpcotPhoenician

Thank the Phoenicians
This is the third time this week I ordered Tonga Toast from Capt Cook’s, and the third time it was dry as a bone in the center. It seems like they cut back on the amount of bananas they’re using. Or am I just being too picky?

Top photo is from today. Bottom photo is from shortly after reopening last year.

Could be a cost issue, could also be a kitchen staff issue.

I've noticed at my local cafe things are sometimes odd and I assume it's a combination of the two.

We went October 2019 and it was just like yours. I didn't like it too dry. Pity because it had potentially

Bananas are insanely cheap. I’m hard pressed to think of a fresh fruit I pay less for. I would chalk it up instead to staff churn.

Could be supply. Bananas are like $0.19 at Trader Joe's but the shelves are empty because they aren't getting their normal deliveries. I have to think it was a kitchen mistake on that though.
I can't imagine they would sell that on purpose instead of just raising the price on the toast like they just did with 100 other items. "50th Anniversary" toast with purple glitter now only $5 more! Make the entire toast smaller instead so it's not as noticeable. Anything but that sad toast in the picture.

Tinkerhon, Hysterical!! Sadly u may be correct. If it’s possible to Down Portion n Cut back, no surprise there, lol.

In response to the hype I ordered Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe a few years ago and would have been thrilled to have that much banana! There was literally one small slice inside a big, dry brick of bread. And NO STRAWBERRY SAUCE. Luckily for me my daughter was willing to share her macadamia pancakes with me. I’m learning not to get sucked into the hype!

My wife and I had it when we were there in October and the amount of banana for both of us seemed a little skimpy compared to several years ago.

John

I ordered Tonga toast from Kona on Tuesday. It was my first time having it and I was very underwhelmed. It had like two bites of banana in the center (like yours pictured). It was dry and I felt like the cinnamon sugar coating made it way too sweet to add much strawberry sauce. I wouldn’t order it again.

In response to the hype I ordered Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe a few years ago and would have been thrilled to have that much banana! There was literally one small slice inside a big, dry brick of bread. And NO STRAWBERRY SAUCE. Luckily for me my daughter was willing to share her macadamia pancakes with me. I’m learning not to get sucked into the hype!
Found it way over rated as well ............ then again I find most Disney restaurants over rated especially when considering price ... closest thing to a must do restaurant on our trips is Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast (Lobster Benedict)

I noticed years ago that the amount of banana was way less. The server let me ask for extra banana and it was better. I don't know if they'll still let you do that but it's worth a shot. I haven't had it in a long time because it became all bread with hardly any banana.

I ordered Tonga toast from Kona on Tuesday. It was my first time having it and I was very underwhelmed. It had like two bites of banana in the center (like yours pictured). It was dry and I felt like the cinnamon sugar coating made it way too sweet to add much strawberry sauce. I wouldn’t order it again.

I have always ordered it without the cinnamon sugar. It would also have been too sweet for me with that plus the strawberry sauce. But I haven’t been recently enough to experience the Great Banana Skimpening.

The world wide shortage of bananas started about the same time as the shortage of Disney Magic. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter