Is disney closing POP?

Wow...glad you can get a kick out of it. BUT...there are CMs all over WDW...NOT just at Pop that heard this rumor and are VERY CONCERNED for their jobs. ANybody that has been there less than a year is tense. Disney doesn't let them know what's going on until they come into work and are told BYE BYE....

The 10K is what was reported on the news. Many CMs heard it and are VERY worried. Hopefully it was WRONG. But I really don't think it's something to roll around and laugh about.:sad2:

Lives4Disney :)
Given that this rumor doesn't show up in any search of teh news sources, they need to take a breath.

Wouldn't Disney have an obligation to let those of us who are staying at PoP Century know they were closing so we could be rebooked into other rooms????? I'm thinking this is just a silly rumor!

If Disney does decide to close a resort, I'm sure they will contact anyone staying at that resort during that time and offer them equal or better accommodations (at the same price or with a minor fee for an upgrade).

Many people have posted about positive experiences when Disney closed POR and POFQ after 9/11.

When I called today to make a payment on our package, I asked the CM if he had heard the rumors. He said that he lives in Orlando and that rumors are always flying because Disney keeps everything on the downlow, that there's a lot of cause for speculation. He said that there is a 'big green curtain' on the other side of the Generation Gap Bridge and that they are definitely working on the Legendary years, but would not say if it was a completion of Pop or something new. He said if they were to ever close Pop Century, they would do it so far in advance that they would stop accepting reservations. He also said that they only closed POR post 9/11 because of changing it over from Dixielandings. Whether this is true or not, I have no clue, as I was not on the DISboards back then, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Just thought I'd share!

I'm thinking that someone from the news media got a little ahead of themselves. It's probably a mix between the story about layoffs, combined with the rumors about Disney apparently getting ready to finish the other half of POP. They probably realized they were wrong and pulled the story, which is why it's not on the Channel 9 site. Dunno, just speculation, but sounds plausible to me.

I would hate to see POP closed, and I seriously doubt it will be. Our one and only stay at a value was at POP, and we really enjoyed it. I would love to see the rumored "Animation Inn" revamp of the resort though, and hope to see some family suites built on the currently unfinished side. :cheer2:

Disney's most popular hotels these hotels book faster than the others:
Pop
All Stars
Poly
Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge
Grand Floridian

So I would not think that any of these would close, I do think that buildings or sections of some hotels might be shuttered temporarily.
Interesting. Where can I see the complete list?

Good grief, can't you guys read, no where did anyone say 10,000 people worked at Pop Century and I am sure if you worked for Disney and heard the Newscast you would be concerned too.

If the newscast was a mistake they would have to post a retraction.

wouldn't surprise me if the so called closing of POP was actually the closing of Pleasure Island... IE wrong news...

In the last two days alone here on this website I have read that Starbucks is closing down completely after Christmas, your President-elect will raise the price of gas (as if he controls it) to $7/gallon on January 21st, and that the '10,000' employees working at one Disney resort are going to be laid off.

From what I can read there was no newscast, as no link was provided and nobody was able to find a reference on the various news stations. Please do correct me if I am wrong, and please do provide a link if that is the case.

These types of rumours with absolutely no supporting facts only serve to further fuel fear. May I suggest that before posting such things, one takes a moment to do some research, and that one considers if the rumour makes sense? A link would be extremely useful.

Does it make sense that 10,000 people work at POP? No. Does it make sense that WDW has a contingency plan in place to deal with declining occupancies? Of course. WDW did close POR once before to decrease labour cost and operating costs. They may do so again.

But to spread these rumours with no facts only serves to increase the fear and to decrease the economy further. No surprise that in WWII it was against the law in many countries to spread rumours, as it was considered to be a threat to national interests.

Spreading fear serves no positive purpose.

Wow...glad you can get a kick out of it. BUT...there are CMs all over WDW...NOT just at Pop that heard this rumor and are VERY CONCERNED for their jobs. ANybody that has been there less than a year is tense. Disney doesn't let them know what's going on until they come into work and are told BYE BYE....

The 10K is what was reported on the news. Many CMs heard it and are VERY worried. Hopefully it was WRONG. But I really don't think it's something to roll around and laugh about.:sad2:

Lives4Disney :)

No one can find this "news report" Which makes me wonder what was REALLY said. And if it wasn't really reported, there's no need to post a retraction!
And the OP posted it as ONE item not TWO. Two items is
1. Pop is closing
2. Disney is laying off 10,000 CMs.

It was posted as Pop is closing and Disney is laying off 10,000 CMs. It appears the "rumor" is tht because Pop is closing Disney is laying off 10,000 CMs.

Now do I belive EITHER rumor. No. Disney didn't lay off 10,000 CMs after 9/11. I was there two weeks later. There was NO ONE I mean NO ONE in the park. I have photos where there is NO one in sight. A photo of the entire Test Track queue... EMPTY!

Will Disney lay off.... maybe. But probably what they will do is cut hours and NOT hire. So if you walk off in a huff. (which happens) then your job isn't filled.

Sorry, but I don't take "rumors" seriously. This board has had so many of them.... (I am still looking for the following that were reported on here as"facts" (1) COP closing for good (2) ESPN zone is closed (3) Halloween Horror Nights at Disney Studios (4) Pepsi replacing Coke at Disney and so on.. )

Now are there 10,000 jobs being lost in the Orlando area. I would lay money there are.

As a matter of fact....

This COULD be the source of the numbers. Of course it doesn't mention Disney at all

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2008/11/17/story1.html?b=1226898000^1732421&brthrs=1

A related search found several "rumors" indicating a possible 1,000 layoffs at DISNEY overall coming soon. (That seems to be the entire company)

I have a friend who works at disney who said last night she was watching the channel 9 news and there was a story about Disney closing pop and laying people off. Did anyone else see this? I went online but couldnt find anything. Thanks guys.

This was my OP I never said anything about 10,000 people being layed off.
I will say I know CMs who said they saw this report and were concerned but I was just asking about POP.

In the last two days alone here on this website I have read that Starbucks is closing down completely after Christmas, your President-elect will raise the price of gas (as if he controls it) to $7/gallon on January 21st, and that the '10,000' employees working at one Disney resort are going to be laid off.

From what I can read there was no newscast, as no link was provided and nobody was able to find a reference on the various news stations. Please do correct me if I am wrong, and please do provide a link if that is the case.

These types of rumours with absolutely no supporting facts only serve to further fuel fear. May I suggest that before posting such things, one takes a moment to do some research, and that one considers if the rumour makes sense? A link would be extremely useful.

Does it make sense that 10,000 people work at POP? No. Does it make sense that WDW has a contingency plan in place to deal with declining occupancies? Of course. WDW did close POR once before to decrease labour cost and operating costs. They may do so again.

But to spread these rumours with no facts only serves to increase the fear and to decrease the economy further. No surprise that in WWII it was against the law in many countries to spread rumours, as it was considered to be a threat to national interests.

I did a search and found nothing thats why I asked a question. I didnt think I was starting a threat to national interests. I figured if there was something going on at POP someone here might know.

I heard that rumor about closing it and then laying off 10,000 people. I heard it from somebody that saw the Orlando Channel 9 news last night. :confused:

CMs are very nervous now. I hope it's misinformation. There is nothing at all about it online anywhere.:guilty:

Lives4Disney

To be fair...note that it was not the OP with the "10,000" layoffs...above is the quote, from another poster.

And there still is no such newstory coming up on any sort of search. Will there be layoffs...everywhere. They're already happening across many sectors. So it would not be surprising if Disney also had layoffs. However, when or if they layoff 10,000 I guarantee you that will make the news...all over the country.

Disney laying of 10 000 people is possible. You guys seem to be very Orlandocentric. Disney is truly international and expands far beyond the theme parks.

I'm not sure how old you are, sir but that was one wierd reference.

But if you did serve in WWII thank you for your service. :hug: I give you Fols!

Disney laying of 10 000 people is possible. You guys seem to be very Orlandocentric. Disney is truly international and expands far beyond the theme parks.

That's for sure just think of what Disney runs. How many Parks and Resorts around the world? They have about 56 Park, Resort and Cruise related places alone, which includes Parks, Resorts, shopping areas (i.e. DTD), cruise ships and Castaway Cay. Then there other things Movie studios, television, animation, record studios, stores, ect. I see on Wikipedia disney employees 137,000 in 2008.

Here are some divisions of Disney;

ABC, ABC Family, ABC Kids, Walt Disney Distribution, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group, Disney Channel, ESPN, Jetix, Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Walt Disney Television Animation, Walt Disney Records, Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax Films, ABC Studios, Playhouse Disney, Disney Consumer Products, Pixar Animation Studios, SOAPnet, Disney Interactive Studios, Muppets Holding Company, Disney Store, Toon Disney, New Horizon Interactive, and Hollywood Records

Here's a link to the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-unemployment-112108,0,4574933.story

We're just getting our unemployment numbers down here today. Near me, it's almost 10%, near Disney 7% - both the worst in 15 years.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/781675.html

Also, we're waiting to hear how bad the deficit is going to be. According to Amy Baker, Florida is the worst in the nation in that respect. If CMs are worried, you really can't blame them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter