Is Disney being too cautious in their opening time frame?

Lilsia

Registered
I was thinking about this... they are opening a month later then the other parks, cutting back a good chunk of their entertainment, closing dining, etc. I was wondering if they are opening so much later in hopes that by the time they open, restrictions are lifted and they won't need most of these shut downs. Do they really need the extra time to get things going again? I just wonder at why they are making the decisions that they are.

I think Disney is being appropriately cautious. They certainly don't want to be the source of an outbreak and have to close all over again. If that happened, they would have a really hard time convincing people to come back when they reopened again. It's best to open slowly and cautiously and do it right the first time.

Also, think about all the stuff that has to be done behind the scenes to reopen such a huge operation. Now that they have a date, they need to notify cast member and revamp their entire working schedules. Someone needs to figure out how many people will be needed with the reduced capacity, as well as new functions like cleaning, enforcing social distancing, etc. I'm sure the restaurants have to figure out their new food orders. Some suppliers might be shut down or running at reduced capacity and they may have to figure out where to get food and supplies.

I'm sure that there's a ton of work going on right now to get opened by July. It's got to be a huge undertaking that will take over a month to figure out.

They 100% need more time to reopen. They have more staff to train, more property to prepare, more attractions to test, more food to order, more surfaces to clean, and I could go on.

Plus, it is a good idea to be able to see what mistakes other places make and what impact the reopening has in general.

Disney is a whole different beast than Universal, Sea World or any other park or entertainment complex out there. You just cannot compare it to anything else, operationally. Yes, they need more time. Yes they need their own plan. Yes they need to be cautious.

What’s even more interesting is the spike in cases Florida is seeing right now. Extra time means nothing if Florida governor doesn’t do something to slow it down!
What do you want the gov to do? He quarantined by Exec order, hopefully preventing those that may bring it here, he asked all to wear masks, avoid groups larger than 10. Etc
its Personal responsibility as well. People are getting sick for a Reason...my own neighbors.. traveled, participated in a larger gathering... it’s spread by People...its a risk one takes if you Choose to do certain things.
what exactly would you like him to do for you/state? I’m interested, honestly.

Disney is making the decisions on when and what to reopen based on what will best serve the company's needs and provide the most financial benefit. We on the outside don't have any view into the information they're using to answer those questions for themselves. So we have no way of knowing what's too soon or too late.

What’s even more interesting is the spike in cases Florida is seeing right now. Extra time means nothing if Florida governor doesn’t do something to slow it down!

I think Disney made a very good logistical decision in letting all the others try getting thru "this phase first" ,of re-opening the parks. They can sit back and see what is working, what isn't, etc.

As far as opening first: I love it when I'm driving 50 in a 45mph zone and a car or two speed ahead of me at 60 or more. Because if law enforcement is doing radar, they ( the speeders) will take the bullet and as they are pulled over, I will pass by still at 50mph and honk and laugh to the sorry sucker. That's my comparison to Universal to Disney's opening.
btw, I have nothing against Universal and I don't care what park opened #1, #2, #3 since I won't be there anytime soon regardless.

Considering they don't have any information out regarding the reservation system, not selling tickets, moving people from closed hotels, I would say no. They are not ready.

What do you want the gov to do? He quarantined by Exec order, hopefully preventing those that may bring it here, he asked all to wear masks, avoid groups larger than 10. Etc
its Personal responsibility as well. People are getting sick for a Reason...my own neighbors.. traveled, participated in a larger gathering... it’s spread by People...its a risk one takes if you Choose to do certain things.
[/QUO
I don’t want the Florida governor to do anything for me, I live in NYC. We are steady now as a state with one of the the lowest number of deaths, where not long ago we were the highest in the world. As governor Cuomo says we’re “NY tough”. His guidelines got us here where we are now. We just started phase 1 reopening June 8th. He has mentioned rolling back the phases if people and businesses don’t comply with rules. Cases in Florida are in the rise, obviously something must be done and people need rules/guidelines to follow, perhaps Florida reopened too soon. I’m not into debating so please don’t come back at me with politics. I’m just stating facts and I call it as I see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter