Is Disney at fault for disappointment?

I had to laugh at that one, because I'd really would love to see the restaurant that can get 8 people seated without a reservation outside of Disney let alone inside of Disney.

And yet we do just that! In fact many people do it..
Go check out any Place that has brunch on Sunday morning.. Lots of families attend church and then go out for brunch. And a lot of times 2-3 families go together.
I'm not saying there won't be a wait but normally it's not more than 45-60min at most.

My family does this almost monthly..
My husband is form a large Chinese family and for every b-day we head out on Sundays to a very popular place in here in Boston for Dim-sum.. We are a group of 22! No ressie.. (Cuz they don't take them) Someone gets there about an 45min early and waits becuase it 1st come 1st serve..

Now this places knows that's Sunday's are going to be busy, not only do you have the Sunday brunch crowd, they also have other large families like ours that come in celebrating lots of things..
They have learned how to get people in and out like I've never seen before.. The are very quick at turning over there tables and quick to have food on your table almost the second you sit down.
We have also done this at a cheesecake factory, chills, Texas roadhouse ect. Ect.
Not once have we ever been turned away!

- Outside disney getting a table for 8+ people can be very easily done.

And I do wanna say if I walked into a place here in Boston (that had that kind of dinning room)and asked for a table for 22, they may look at weird, and We would have to wait a little bit (40-60min), but I don't know any place that would turn down that kind of money!

- In disney asking for a table for 22 I'd be laughed at..
But disney doesn't have another restaurant down the block competing for my money so they can make any rules they want

Last edited:
My feeling exactly. They've added so many more resort rooms without the increased capacity on attractions.

Does anyone else remember years ago, going to morning EMH and the MK being almost empty? That was a wonderful benefit to staying on property. Now we avoid the park days with any EMH because they are more crowded than non-EMH days. My park experience has diminished greatly in the last 5 years. I'm not sure how that is my (the customer's) fault.

Yes, the parks are more crowded. Everyone knows that INCLUDING Disney so what are they doing about it? What did they expect to happen?

OK to start of I can relate to this 100%. I was dismayed that our second day at MK on this trip was a non-party day with night time EMH and the park was PACKED from opening to closing. It was beyond ridiculous and we only stayed because there were things we hadn't done on our first day that we wanted to do (plus all our FP+ were for MK so if we went elsewhere we would have no FPs). What was the most frustrating was the fact that the one perk of staying on property was essentially ripped away from us, and that was enjoying extra hours with a smaller crowd. I will honestly say that, to the best of my memory, this was my WORST trip to MK ever. And MK is my favourite park and we still got to ride all the rides we wanted, but the crowds just made me feel miserable. Maybe I am asking for too much, but waiting more than 60 minutes on rides (other than like 7DMT) is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.

I was glad I had followed along on these boards and stuff to know how much planning had to go into this, otherwise I would've gone crazy not being able half the stuff we did. So much planning has to go into a Disney trip. Where as before I would pay no mind to crowd calendars (because I had travelled to Disney in October before and knew crowds were "small" and that the EMH were "amazing because no waiting for rides"), but will certainly do so in the future and will avoid night EMH like the plague.

I look at it this way. If I just show up to The French Laundry expecting to be seated without a reservation, is the restaurant at fault for not overly emphasizing the need for a reservation on their website? No, it's my fault for not doing the research. Is it the airlines fault if you show up to the airport expecting a seat on a plane without purchasing a ticket before? No. If reservations are made available, then maybe there is a reason why.

I think Royal Caribbean should do a commercial of exhausted, frustrated "Theme Park" visitors and compare it to how much easier a cruise is to enjoy without anywhere near the time and effort that goes into planning a WDW vacation. They did a spot a few years ago on the ease of cruise and how fun just happens.

We do an extensive amount of traveling and there is no vacation like a WDW vacation that consumes so much time and leads to so much frustration.

Perfect example. I want an Illuminations Dessert Party for next March at 180 days out, t isn't out on the calendar yet for 20016. All the other restaurants are so I book everything but that and Fantasmic! dinner. Now I know for a fact I will be unable to move anything around this close to the vacation (months away) so I am now locked into only 1 night this will fit into my plans. I have been on my computer every morning and on the phone every afternoon for over 40 days. Every day I ask "Do you know when they will be released" and the response is the same "No, but please feel free to call back".

I am knowledgeable enough and have done my research to know that if I don't catch it on the day they are released there is a possibility it will be it gone by the end of the day. Of course, it is a possibility that they may discontinue it for 2016 but they certainly haven't communicated that to me yet. I'm sure that will be my (the customers) fault because I "only" called them once a day.

I've wondered, how many people would the AK and HS attract as a stand alone, meaning, people who travel to WDW and do not do MK, and visit AK and HS as the central part of the visit? I would assume that there is a large percentage of AK and HS visitors who are visiting as an add on, not as the central focus of the trip....just a thought. They are using the lowered cost of adding additional days to do it. If there were no lowered cost incentive, not sure there would still be 10 mil visitors...
If those were the only two parks, I would still go, but it would not be a repeat destination for me. I spend most of a 10 day trip between MK and Epcot.

I've wondered, how many people would the AK and HS attract as a stand alone, meaning, people who travel to WDW and do not do MK, and visit AK and HS as the central part of the visit? I would assume that there is a large percentage of AK and HS visitors who are visiting as an add on, not as the central focus of the trip....just a thought. They are using the lowered cost of adding additional days to do it. If there were no lowered cost incentive, not sure there would still be 10 mil visitors...
If those were the only two parks, I would still go, but it would not be a repeat destination for me. I spend most of a 10 day trip between MK and Epcot.
It's your fault that you're not happy with it. Disney is a for profit business after all. Why do you expect them to potentially reduce profit for your expectations. Iger isn't getting a solid gold Cadillac by giving you more for your money.

And....just to add...as long as people keep going and spending money and Disney is making money...they are not going to make customer concerns a priority. The only time they will prioritize concerns...is if their profit is being affected.

I think Royal Caribbean should do a commercial of exhausted, frustrated "Theme Park" visitors and compare it to how much easier a cruise is to enjoy without anywhere near the time and effort that goes into planning a WDW vacation. They did a spot a few years ago on the ease of cruise and how fun just happens.

We do an extensive amount of traveling and there is no vacation like a WDW vacation that consumes so much time and leads to so much frustration.

Perfect example. I want an Illuminations Dessert Party for next March at 180 days out, t isn't out on the calendar yet for 20016. All the other restaurants are so I book everything but that and Fantasmic! dinner. Now I know for a fact I will be unable to move anything around this close to the vacation (months away) so I am now locked into only 1 night this will fit into my plans. I have been on my computer every morning and on the phone every afternoon for over 40 days. Every day I ask "Do you know when they will be released" and the response is the same "No, but please feel free to call back".

I am knowledgeable enough and have done my research to know that if I don't catch it on the day they are released there is a possibility it will be it gone by the end of the day. Of course, it is a possibility that they may discontinue it for 2016 but they certainly haven't communicated that to me yet. I'm sure that will be my (the customers) fault because I "only" called them once a day.
LOL! Yes, cruising is much simpler but....a totally different kind of vacation. It's true, I've never had to plan a vacation to the extend that I did for Disney in order to get the resort, the restaurants and the rides I "mostly" wanted. I was one of those....waiting for the announcement....people every step of the way. It was really ridiculous...but I went along because I wanted a great vacation. I do feel, Disney, is such a unique place that no matter how many people complain about things, it will continue to attract millions from all over the world. It is just such a great place. Is it worth all the trouble to plan? For some yes, for others, not so much. Would those of us who plan like to see changes? Yes. But it is what it is and unless we choose not to go....we will just have to deal with it.

And....just to add...as long as people keep going and spending money and Disney is making money...they are not going to make customer concerns a priority. The only time they will prioritize concerns...is if their profit is being affected.
Please don't take this wrong but I really am curious as to how or what you do to stretch those two parks into 10 days. Our longest trip was 7 days and we went to all four parks and by day 6 we were kind of bored.

Please don't take this wrong but I really am curious as to how or what you do to stretch those two parks into 10 days. Our longest trip was 7 days and we went to all four parks and by day 6 we were kind of bored.
LOL! I guess I just take my time. I don't rush. I like sitting and watching people walk by as I sit and have a snack. I like taking long lunches and dinners. I like to look at stuff in the shops. I also go to downtown Disney a few times, just to look around or eat. I go back to the resort daily to swim and enjoy the things at the resort. Sometimes I just go to Epcot to eat lunch and go on a ride or two, then go back at night cause I like how the parks look at night. I am just a person who doesn't like to rush around....so I feel I get to see and experience everything...but can do it in a relaxed way. My daughter and my grandkids are the complete opposite. They are up early every day, headed to rope drop and then stay out as late as the parks open every night. I could never keep up with that pace. But...we are all going together this time and have dinners reserved for each night so we can share our experiences of the day....because our schedules for the parks will be completely different. Thanks for asking.

My daughter and I were recently discussing this very topic. We've been planning since last November for this November's trip. We both said, I don't know how people can think they don't need to plan. There will sure be a rude awakening for those folks! I agree with the folks in here that said, they always plan ahead for any vacation...whether it's Disney or not...especially when it's someplace you have never been. You look online, you see what there is to do in the area, you find out if you need reservations or tickets or a street map...whatever....any vacation takes planning. Now...if you are not a planner....then I hope you are a "roll with the punches" kind of folk....the ones who don't really care what they see or don't see...that any experience is an experience to enjoy. Those folks can go anywhere just for the sake of going. For me....planning the Disney vacation is half of the fun and anticipation of the upcoming trip. Even with a TA, you still have to check and double check everything. My sister and I have this expression that comes from our everyday life experience, whether it's a vacation or calling about a service or a mistake on a bill...."Trust no one, check everything!" The world of misinformation is quite large. You really have to double check everything....you really do. So...for all you uber planners out there....enjoy your vacation....because I know you will!

I just had a thread on this about a friend who didn't plan a thing. She was disappointed with their day at Epcot.

You know, we normally don't have to think about this. Our trips are usually 2 weeks or more. 14, 15, 16 days. So we usually spend, at least what I thought was, equal time at each park. At least, we assigned equal days to each park. But what I guess I didn't really realize is that, on the HS and AK days, a large portion of that day was also resort time, or DTD time, or unplanned time. This upcoming trip (IN TWO FRICKEN WEEKS !!!) we are only there for 8 days, including fly in and fly out. What I realized, holy crap we don't spend much time in HS or AK. Like, we only actually have one AK day planned. AK is my DW's favourite park. Its just, there isn't much to do there, and, there isn't really much of a need to FP+ anything there. Then we realized we only had 1 day planned at HS as well ... well, one day and one late evening. Arrival day (evening, so like a half day, I'd bet 3 hours max) and then one more day. The reality is MK and to a lesser extent for rides EPCOT (we like the world, we are adults without kids, its F&W, we will drink, eat, and be merry) are what offer the VAST majority to hold out attention.

NOW, when HS is finished, so like 2020 ... I bet that's going to be QUITE the draw, but even then what another 3 or 4 rides ? 5 ? but I bet demand will make those rides take a good 3 - 5 hours. Not entirely sure what that will mean for total guest experience, but its something, and I will take it. Esp since 14 acres is Star Wars themed :)

Like I just said we usually do 13, 14, 15 + days of Disney. And I will totally admit the parks can't really keep us busy for that time. Perfect example, last trip, one day we went into MK for lunch, then we went back to the resort.

At some point the ticket price increase doesn't matter (esp if you are just doing 10 day, you only have 10 day tickets, maybe some water park tix too) and the price of the flights get folded into a per day cost, and if you are getting a good enough deal on the room (renting DVC, 30% off a Mod, or staying value) you can really appreciate the resort as a resort separate from Disney as a Disney vacation, at that point it works, at least for us.

Like I just said we usually do 13, 14, 15 + days of Disney. And I will totally admit the parks can't really keep us busy for that time. Perfect example, last trip, one day we went into MK for lunch, then we went back to the resort.

At some point the ticket price increase doesn't matter (esp if you are just doing 10 day, you only have 10 day tickets, maybe some water park tix too) and the price of the flights get folded into a per day cost, and if you are getting a good enough deal on the room (renting DVC, 30% off a Mod, or staying value) you can really appreciate the resort as a resort separate from Disney as a Disney vacation, at that point it works, at least for us.

I second that. We are DVC members and we purchased annual passes this year. We went for 17 days in the beginning of October. We went to a park every day! Some days only to eat at a specific restaurant or do a couple of rides. Then we spent time exploring both Jambo and Kidani (AKL is our home resort). Time goes by fast, especially when you can see giraffes and zebras up close on your balcony! Some pool time, some naps, exploring other resorts, water parks, miniature golf, Disney Springs, we never got bored and we came back rested, which is difficult to do when you only spend a couple of days at Disney World...

I think that there is so much information out there that is the fault of those who do little or no research, or fail to heed expert advice, if they don't get to have the experiences they want or are disappointed in the experience they have. For example, most people tour the Vatican with thousands of others and are herded in a crush through the Sistene Chapel in under a minute. They'll report it was miserable but at least they got to do it. Then there are the few like us who research and are willing to pay $150 per person for a private tour that is available only a few days a month and must be booked well in advance that gives them 20 minutes in the Sistene Chapel with only a dozen other people.

I enjoy the research and planning. My kids are in college and we don't need to do CRT or A&E, but we had magical experiences at CRT in the past, even booking at less than 180 days out. This upcoming trip in January I booked less than 180 days out and I'm still tweaking ADRs, got BOG for both a preopening breakfast and a lunch (based on reviews didn't even try for dinner). Got all the ADRs I want. Just a couple days ago planned a birthday Wishes cruise with another friend who will be there the same week as us.

There will always be those who like us, in the past rope dropped Soarin' and fastpassed TT. My kids want to skip Soarin' (we live in L.A. And are DL passholders) and aren't even that into TT. Everyone's expectations and desires are different. You just need to know enough (and act on it) to get the experience you want.

Last spring break my DD and I went to WDW for just one night. We did Epcot. I planned the trip only a week in advance. We got FP+ for Nemo, Mission Space and Illuminations (of course there were slim pickings, but I recall TT still available). Had a fantastic time, grazed the flower and garden festival booths, saw some shows. That's all we needed or expected to do.

I second that. We are DVC members and we purchased annual passes this year. We went for 17 days in the beginning of October. We went to a park every day! Some days only to eat at a specific restaurant or do a couple of rides. Then we spent time exploring both Jambo and Kidani (AKL is our home resort). Time goes by fast, especially when you can see giraffes and zebras up close on your balcony! Some pool time, some naps, exploring other resorts, water parks, miniature golf, Disney Springs, we never got bored and we came back rested, which is difficult to do when you only spend a couple of days at Disney World...

This is why I love our DVC.. The resorts are worth the trip.. I can see a few resort only trips if prices get to hight..
I just wish DVC/WDW would realize when they stop the perks and didn't replace them that it made our choice to not attend WDW this year even easier.. And I know we are not the only family who made that choice..

With the rumor of surge ticket pricing..they could easily offer DVc memebrs the lowest price tickets no matter when they are used.. (Like they do with the DDP)
I won't hold my breath on this one tho..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter