• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Dinosaur a good thing to ride once? And what's with it's reputation?

Dead serious, though, if you have back or neck issues (or don’t, and want to stay that way LOL), be warned. It’s surprisingly jerky. After I learned to really plant my feet and let my hips absorb the motion, it’s much better. But I don’t have any issues and I swear I thought I was gonna need a neck brace after the first ride. But “scary.” No.
And a recommendation for the ladies...make sure the "girls" are well supported on your AK day if you plan on riding this ride. You will feel it if you don't. :rotfl2:Laughing...but seriously...not kidding.

I always forget about this and every time I get off the ride I say to DH "ugh...I should've worn something more supportive for the girls!". And of course he laughs at me every time. :)

I love Dinosaur- rode it again and again on our last trip. I'm a huge scardey cat - won't go on big rollercoasters, cry on an aeroplane and read movie plots sometimes before I watch them to prepare myself for jump scares - and it didn't bother me at all.

The first time I went on it with my then 4 year old daughter I was utterly terrified! I’ll admit it gladly. I’m not a big loud noises/jump scare fan (I love all other sorts of thrill rides) and the big dinosaur at the end got me! My 4 year old was “meh.” In fact I wish I could find the ride photo of her looking nonplussed and me screaming my head off.

She and I went on it again 3 years later and maybe because I had anticipated it, it wasn’t nearly as scary. I will say it was equally terrifying for my back.

Not scary but can't ride it any longer. Throws my back out.
That's just me. If you can deal with the jerky motion do it, it's a fun ride otherwise.

I remember it being a lot scarier when I rode it as a teenager than when I rode it as an adult. And it was exactly the same ride lol.

Ya some here a few years ago talked about it and here are a few funny comments;

I would say YES, this ride can be scary for adults. I finally decided to try this ride several years ago and now it's one of my favorites. I'm 57. I take an Advil about an hour before I go

Haven't had my eyes open on the ride since. Most people in my group like it, so I go. The movement doesn't bother me at all but the ride is very intense. Plus I am a bit of a scaredy cat, I can admit it.

I rode it once, and had my face and ears covered the entire time, crying the whole time. I was expecting something different, and actually was sobbing it scared me so much, so I am sure the ride photo would have been classic. I was "that" adult crying getting off the ride while 7 year olds were high fiving..

It is pretty terrifying for me (an adult).

I think this thread is so funny cuz I have always told people that I find Dinosaur terrifying!!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dinosaur-ride-is-it-scary-for-grown-ups.3551728/
I'm pretty much the opposite of a "ride wimp", so my perspective may be skewed. But those seem a little overdramatic to me. I don't find anything scary about the ride. Rough, yes, maybe a small jump or two there (though I don't think I've ever really experienced that), but IMO it's not scary for an adult.

Count me as an adult who gets scared on it every time. I believe I have finally seen it all the way through now though. We have several pictures of me with my head practically in my Mom's lap. She loves the ride and since we travel just the 2 of us, I always go on it for her. She always lets me hold her hand (or death grip it if you ask her). I can't even tell you what bothers me or scares me so much - probably it is very loud and dark. But I love Indiana Jones at Disneyland so I know I am ok with the ride style.

I didn’t find it too scary.

Countdown To Extinction was far, far scarier.

As a long-time Indiana Jones rider, I can say that even though this is the exact same vehicles, and the exact same layout, the ride effects are not very good. Dinosaur is VERY, lights-out dark, with, as you mentioned, jump scares throughout. It's amazing how a good story line and some good effects make all the difference.

It’s not super scary, in my mind, but it is very uncomfortable. I hadn’t ridden it in a number of years and tried it on our trip in December. Never again. I actually had bruises on my hips from banging against the safety bars on each side of the seat.

I think every ride deserves a chance. It’s pretty bumpy and jerky so if you have back problems it’s probably not ideal.

Dinosaur never scared or physically bothered me, but it just can't compare to Indiana Jones at DL. I lived in California when it opened and up until 2005. I was actually taken a back the first time I rode Dinosaur. The story line is just dumb IMO. I think Indiana Jones works better for that ride profile.

Funny story - the first time we rode it, we had no idea what it was, I had three teen daughters and my husband was at a work meeting. We hopped on it, thinking it was something completely different. To this day, its our very favorite picture from Disney. in the pic we are all so frightened and all huddled together into almost one seat. I don't know if the ride has changed since then, someone mentioned it has changed, but it's still one of our favorite Disney stories to tell, since we had not idea what we were riding! We still ride it every visit, not the same excitement, but we still love it!

I’m 43 and I hate it. Jerky. And no video will properly get all of your senses going. I just can’t explain what it is about this ride for me. I feel it’s like the old Alien Encounter when the lights go out and he’s breathing on you. Hated that too. It’s the whole sensory experience. I won’t ride it any more and I love every other ride in WDW. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm another adult who finds it really scary. Not the physical ride itself, but the dinosaur jump scares terrify me.

I've learned to mostly keep my eyes closed

My 6 year old did it once and then prefers to not do it because it scared her "because it's loud, and dark, and scary" (jump scares). The same 6 year old LOVES EE :confused3 I really love the story and I find it's well made, so it's a must do on our trip. My 9 year old loves Dinosaur, and doesn't like EE...

If you don't like loud, dark, dinosaurs and jump scares, then skip it. If not, then it's just a meteorite-showering-dinosaur-collecting good time! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter