Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

I'm going on a Disney Cruise this month. I probably wouldn't go on any cruise in Asia right now but I'm fine with a Caribbean cruise. The flight will be the dirtiest part.

Speaking of which, on the return flight from my last trip to WDW, I was about 3 rows back from a father. I heard some noises and I heard the father scream "get the bag! get the bag!" (sounds of vomit) "oh, no! ****!" That kid clearly had Cheetos. Fortunately, we were on final. It was a real rough 10 minutes getting to the gate, though. Everybody was 100% on board with staying in your seats so that kid could get off ASAP.

A coworker got a sweet deal on an Expedia package to Japan, 2 weeks with lodging and air fare for like 1200.00. I don't think I'd risk it... Hope they give her extra leave upon return for quarantine purposes!

A coworker got a sweet deal on an Expedia package to Japan, 2 weeks with lodging and air fare for like 1200.00. I don't think I'd risk it... Hope they give her extra leave upon return for quarantine purposes!
I read that Japan is getting concerned about the upcoming summer olympics that they are hosting. We don’t have any plans to travel to Asia any time soon, just to WDW, and we are watching closely over the next few weeks and most likely postponing our trip.

I read that Japan is getting concerned about the upcoming summer olympics that they are hosting. We don’t have any plans to travel to Asia any time soon, just to WDW, and we are watching closely over the next few weeks and most likely postponing our trip.
Postponing a trip to WDW because of the virus in Asia is an overreaction.

I am not one to walk around with a mask or anything like that but we want to go on our first trip to LA in June and are hesitating to book. Not scared of LA in particular, just being in an airport, plane and even crowded attractions.

Things could be way better by then or they could get worse.

5 years ago DS16 was sick for a year with an extremely rare illness. His doctor said he guarantees we won’t find another person like him for the rest of our lives. You just never know.

Anyone else hesitating to travel?
Currently, we've no travel plans that concern me. Like others I'll take it as it comes and keep up to date with checks at the CDC, State Department, and mode of travel links.

I travel every day via the train station of a major airport. All the tourists arriving take the same route I do to go to the city center, whether it's by train, taxi or bus. I am every day surrounded by people from all over the world. My country is not affected by Coronavirus at the moment (knock on wood), but even if we were, I wouldn't change my plans. Today I took a flight for a city trip. And if I had changed my plans, then I wouldn't have met Stephen Schwartz in London today :D (I had a true fangirl freak out moment, almost started crying :D ) So yes, unexpected things can happen on a trip, but they can also be amazing ;-)

The thing is, you do not know who might be carrying a disease (corona or something else), and you cannot let fear overtake your life. In China it's something else and there you need to take more precautions. But in a country where there is only a handful of cases... In countries with good hygiene and healthcare, you do not have to worry. And the 14 day quarentaine is annoying but it's not going to kill you.

Are there reports of people with the virus recovering? All I’ve heard about is the dangers of being infected and climbing death rates. But has anyone survived?

(I haven’t googled it because I’m afraid of the results. All of the reports are triggering my anxiety)

Are there reports of people with the virus recovering? All I’ve heard about is the dangers of being infected and climbing death rates. But has anyone survived?

(I haven’t googled it because I’m afraid of the results. All of the reports are triggering my anxiety)

Yes, there have been plenty of reported cases of people getting better. As a matter of fact, the first person in the US to be diagnosed (in WA state) has fully recovered and has been released from the hospital.

In Canada, there was a man who was discharged from the hospital (2nd case of coronavirus), so he could continue recovering with his wife at home, who also has the coronavirus. Apparently public health is monitoring both of them. That was last week, no updates in the news about either of them.

Yes, the VAST majority of people have recovered. The death rate is very small. Most of the deaths have been men age 60+.

Well since i only returned from two weeks in China 10 days ago, it won't be affecting my travel plans. I certainly won't being wandering around in a mask which are next to useless in terms of disease prevention anyway.
Curious, while in China did you know about corona or was it kept quiet? When did you first learn of it? Hope you enjoyed your trip.:-)

Yes, the VAST majority of people have recovered. The death rate is very small. Most of the deaths have been men age 60+.

Just one clarification- the recovery rate is only 8% right now. The majority ARE expected to recover, but this Is a long lasting illness (2-3 weeks they think) so most known cases are still in progress and not recovered. The other important question is when are you no longer contagious?

Just one clarification- the recovery rate is only 8% right now. The majority ARE expected to recover, but this Is a long lasting illness (2-3 weeks they think) so most known cases are still in progress and not recovered. The other important question is when are you no longer contagious?
The virus has been around since mid-December. The recovery rate is not 8%. No one can seriously believe 92% of people infected die. :rotfl:

Don't spread false information.

Something tells me there is something "off" about the way they are tracking recoveries. Their focus is on counting new cases and deaths, not somehow going back and checking a box about who has recovered.

DS8 vomited during the last 30 minutes of the flight home from Costa Rica last month. He vomited 3 times and then was fine. DS12, unfortunately, caught it from his brother. He vomited 4 times and then felt fine. DS 8 is prone to catching strange viruses. A few years ago he got a virus in his knee and couldn't walk for about a week.

It turns out that about 10% of a group of us that stayed in the same resort in the Caribbean ended up with food poisoning (about 400 of us) that hit while a number were traveling home. I was lucky enough to be spared but just a reminder that seeing ill people on a plane doesn't mean you are doomed yourself!

The virus has been around since mid-December. The recovery rate is not 8%. No one can seriously believe 92% of people infected die. :rotfl:

Don't spread false information.

I don't believe what they're posting is false, that's the reported recovery rate SO FAR. Under 3% mortality rate and 8% recovery rate are both accurate figures when the other 89% are still in uncertain territory.

99% of the cases are in Mainland China and I don't know how well they're getting help for recovery.

I've lost track of which cruise ship is which, and briefly looked back here but couldn't find which we were talking about, but this one in Japan is not doing too great, with 136 passengers having tested positive.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ntined-cruise-ship-DOUBLES-130-overnight.html
It will be interesting in years to come to understand how they think these transmissions occurred. Was it in the shared spaces? The bathrooms? Utensils at the food bars? Sort of like norovirus, it seems like it was fairly easily transmissible.

We have to get better at both protecting others when we're sick, and protecting ourselves when others are sick. Footage of people deliberately infecting spaces was absolutely horrifying! Sick world we live in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter