• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is code orange really causing less crowds?

Fromeurope

Mouseketeer
There has been said much about the very busy Christmasdays at WDW. I am wondering if it will really be less crowded in the next months because of code orange. It did not affect Christmasvisiting, did it?
What do you all think about this?
Are you affraid to go to Walt Disney World?
I am going anyway, in about a month, but I am getting curious because of all the attention in the media.

Yesterday was very crowded, don't quote me, but I heard the Magic Kingdom reached capacity and was closed midday to entry.

They had it on the news this morning. They had 190 minute waits on Tower of Terror. If the studios had that big of waits then I wonder what they had at the MK.

Yes, that is what I have heard as well.
So all the panic in the media does not make sense, does it ?

We're going!!! If something happens while we're there, something happens while we're there. I refuse to live my life in a hole in the ground because something "might" happen. Am I aware of my surroundings and of things that "just don't look right"? Yes indeedy. Am I going to hide from cowardly idiots--no way!! Anything can happen at anytime to anyone. May as well get the most out of life while I can!! :D

I think these orange alerts are happening so often that people don't panic about them. I really wonder how much of the "chatter" is real and how much they (the terrorists) are just planting to cause panic.

Originally posted by Fromeurope
Yes, that is what I have heard as well.
So all the panic in the media does not make sense, does it ?

It makes sense for the media, it sells newspapers and increases TV Ratings.

Code orange is having no effect on visitors' plans to travel to WDW. I agree with everyone that we should be vigilant but not change our lives.

BTW, the level will likely be lowered sometime within the next 30 days. It makes sense that print and television media will focus on whatever sells advertisements, but we can only take so much of the Michael Jackson story.

Fromeurope, you are not going to change your plans, are you? I hope you don't.

No, I am visiting WDW next month anyway.
But here in the Netherlands people still get very scared of all this.
They have just evacuated our Amsterdam airport, because of a suitcase without an owner. I will never get used of things like this.

I had to call Uptown Jewelers on Main Street yesterday to get the status of an order, and the man I spoke to said it was beyond packed there, busier than even they ever imagined it would be. I won't be going until after New Year's.

Originally posted by WDWisTheBest
Code orange is having no effect on visitors' plans to travel to WDW. I agree with everyone that we should be vigilant but not change our lives.

BTW, the level will likely be lowered sometime within the next 30 days. It makes sense that print and television media will focus on whatever sells advertisements, but we can only take so much of the Michael Jackson story.

Fromeurope, you are not going to change your plans, are you? I hope you don't.

Or the Saddam story.

I think people are realizing that they have to continue to live their lives. These alerts happen often and will continue to happen often. I think we should be used to the fact that they are a part of life now. If we hide in our homes every time it does happen, we're going to miss quite a bit of living. If that happens isn't it the same as the terrorists winning? Not to mention, I really don't think WDW is high on a terrorist's list of places to attack. It would only result in creating more enemies for themselves rather than crippling the USA.

these alerts do happen often...we just have to live our lives...hopefully the code won't be orange in feb when we go to florida but if it is we will still go and just be on the look out for shady looking people...i think people are finally starting to somewhat get used to what's happening so i think it's affecting people less...

We're leaving on Thursday, and yes, it did cross my mind that maybe we should reschedule. Luckily that thought didn't last long. DH is in the military, scheduled to be deployed next month, and he thinks it's important for us to have some family time before he leaves. He'd be the first person to tell me to cancel the trip if he thought there was cause for concern.

My main worry was not being in WDW, but flying. I haven't flown since 9/11 and I was nervous about it to begin with, then all this code orange stuff came up. I'm still a little anxious, but I'm trying to keep it all in perspective. Hey, before the terrorist threats became the news item of the week, the media had us all terrified about the flu!

I guess there'll always be something to worry about, and like DH said, God forbid something was to happen, wouldn't we want to be all together in our favorite place on earth when it did?

In fact, yesterday, MK and AK both were closed to capacity. MK reopened around 3, but AK didn't reopen. Today, at one time or another, all of the parks except for Epcot closed to capacity.

Actually, I would say that WDW is seeing some of the best crowds it has had in quite a few years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter