Is clothing required on your verandah?

The cameras don't see on the verandah, they see the side of the ship.

JW

I haven't been on the bridge on a Disney ship, but I have been on Allure of the Seas, and I can tell you that most definitely some of the verandahs closest to the actual cameras DO show up clearly on the monitors. In addition to the view from the bridge wings, as someone said above.

Keep your clothes on when you go outside and you'll be fine.

Lots of humorous replies, but seriously, if you're at sea I see no problem with it whatsoever. And if anyone is "sneaking a peek" from the neighboring veranda, then shame on them. (This doesn't apply to verandas that protrude from the ship farther and are quite visible to other verandas above.) In port, especially if your side of the ship faces another ship or the port, I'd say to forego being bare. As for security cameras, a good rule of thumb for cameras is if you can see it, it can see you. And as an aside, it's funny to me how many people have a problem with someone sitting on their private veranda with no clothes not overtly visible to anyone, but don't have a problem with treating the Exotic Rasul spa treatment as a conjugal visit.

I haven't been on the bridge on a Disney ship, but I have been on Allure of the Seas, and I can tell you that most definitely some of the verandahs closest to the actual cameras DO show up clearly on the monitors. In addition to the view from the bridge wings, as someone said above.

Keep your clothes on when you go outside and you'll be fine.
Unless you don't mind giving them a show.

Lots of humorous replies, but seriously, if you're at sea I see no problem with it whatsoever. And if anyone is "sneaking a peek" from the neighboring veranda, then shame on them. (This doesn't apply to verandas that protrude from the ship farther and are quite visible to other verandas above.) In port, especially if your side of the ship faces another ship or the port, I'd say to forego being bare. As for security cameras, a good rule of thumb for cameras is if you can see it, it can see you. And as an aside, it's funny to me how many people have a problem with someone sitting on their private veranda with no clothes not overtly visible to anyone, but don't have a problem with treating the Exotic Rasul spa treatment as a conjugal visit.
Well stated! How do you think those little souvenirs happen in the first place? Lol

This thread reminded me of our theme park view room at Grand Californian. I kept telling my fiance we should keep the privacy curtain pulled because I imagined people could see into the room from Sky School as it was that close. He said no way no how every day for 5 days. On our very last night we finally rode Sky School and guess what? You could see clearly into the rooms from the ride. We now laugh that some poor family probably got a show once or twice haha.

We were on the Magic and when we were docked in Tortola there was a German (I think it was German) cruise ship across the pier from us. There were PLENTY of passengers on that ship who were starkers on their verandah while enjoying their coffee and other pursuits. They really didn't care that they were at the pier and in direct eye sight of our ship. For those of you who are concerned about children seeing naked adults, I can tell you that my kiddos had WAY better things to do on board than watch naked adults "get busy" on the verandah. Ha ha!

It's called the Verandah Club, or so I've heard!
Funniest answer at a "Newlyweds game" we've ever heard on a cruise. This was a crazy Australian couple that was everywhere around the ship (non-DCL), karaoke, cooking classes, etc. The show was on day 2 or 3 of a 14 day cruise.

Host : What's the craziest place you've ever made woopy?
Both answers : a cruise ship verandah
Host : How many cruises have you been on ?
Answer : This is our first !!!o_O

Well, if you peaked around your verandah wall. Then that's like peaking through your neighbors backyard. Not much can be done about it. Maybe teach your kids not to snoop.

JW

However, if someone is standing at the rail, there is no peeking around the wall - that could be seen just looking forward or aft.

And again, those stupid extra long ones are visible from all.

Funniest answer at a "Newlyweds game" we've ever heard on a cruise. This was a crazy Australian couple that was everywhere around the ship (non-DCL), karaoke, cooking classes, etc. The show was on day 2 or 3 of a 14 day cruise.

Host : What's the craziest place you've ever made woopy?
Both answers : a cruise ship verandah
Host : How many cruises have you been on ?
Answer : This is our first !!!o_O
Reminds me of this classic moment on The Newlywed Game,

Strange question I know, but I was just watching the PC sailaways and when the Carnival Magic went by there was a guy on his room balcony holding a drink wearing only his birthday suit (did anyone catch that, almost midship, a little forward, the camera cut away quick). I just looked at an old Navigator verandah rules and it only talks about smoking and throwing things overboard. I mean I guess it is part of your own private room, but didn't expect that.
This thread is cracking me up! :lmao: We actually chose it to be featured on today's DIS Daily Fix - there's even a special message from Pete!

Well, if you peaked around your verandah wall. Then that's like peaking through your neighbors backyard. Not much can be done about it. Maybe teach your kids not to snoop.

JW

And maybe you don't need to blame victims. Yes children who are exposed to sexual acts are victims and you could be charged with a crime. Remember that before pointing fingers. Children are curious. Thankfully, mine are old enough to be warned but try telling a 3 or 4 year old not to do something.

Naked I don't care about, but if my kids see you having sex on your balcony I'm going to call someone. Same would go for my neighbors here at home.
And maybe you don't need to blame victims. Yes children who are exposed to sexual acts are victims and you could be charged with a crime. Remember that before pointing fingers. Children are curious. Thankfully, mine are old enough to be warned but try telling a 3 or 4 year old not to do something.

Sorry, but I agree with JW9DVC, if I am a place with an expectation of privacy, those violating my privacy have no right to complain about what they see.

Sorry, but I agree with JW9DVC, if I am a place with an expectation of privacy, those violating my privacy have no right to complain about what they see.

And that is the crux of the matter. Do we have a reasonable expectation of privacy on the veranda? I would say, yes, to an extent. I would treat it like being at home, where the burden to close your blinds/curtains is on you and the burden not to walk up (or use binoculars, etc.) and look in your window is on the person outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter