Is child swap only for kids who don't meet minimum heights?

He's just very nervous on anything that he thinks might be fast or has drops.

It doesn't even matter if they do or not, just if he thinks they might.

He loves Star Wars, but didn't like Star Tours as he was so nervous before going in that he just couldn't enjoy it. I've tried explaining to him how simulator rides work and told him that it's just like a big video game. I might finally be getting through to him as he says he wants to do Star Tours this year.

It's an odd one. The first time we went he loved Barnstormer, then we went on 7DMT and he hated that, and then he wouldn't go on Barnstormer afterwards. Yet he went on Dinosaur after that and loved it, but wouldn't go on PW. The first time we went he loved the Buzz Lightyear ride and rode it multiple times over the trip. So much so that we made it our first stop the second time we went. He hated it on that second trip. He was 4 the first time we went, and 6 when we went last year.

He started screaming when the Astro Orbiter started moving last year, and screamed the whole way through it. He wouldn't even contemplate doing it again even after we stood on the ground watching it and showed him that it's basically the same as the Aladdin and Dumbo rides, which he loves.

He's talking about doing Barnstormer this year and he wants to do the Stitch ride, which he hated the first year he went. It's really only once he's faced with the prospect of getting on the ride that we'll know whether he'll do it or not.

Last year he loved designing the car at TT in Epcot, but I had to skip the ride with him once he was faced with actually boarding.

He gets really nervous with Soarin', but he'll do it. So I'll try explaining to him that FoP is a bit like Soarin' and see if he'll get on.
I'm with you. My 9 yo DS has been scared of lots of rides since we started going and I mean Barnstormer, 7DMT, those types. He is starting to come around and has started riding and enjoying a few more slightly thrilling rides but he is now tall enough that we all have to go through the line when we didn't have to before(ex. RnR). It's fine though and he even loved 7DMT last summer after we did EMM and he rode it over and over. Progress!!:yay:

Again, this isn't a choice or a case of being afraid but a DISABILITY issue.

So until my son is old enough to wait by himself while the entire rest of the family rides something (and no, 12yo is not old enough) I will try and figure out how Disney can work w/ us to accommodate his disability.

Obviously we are talking about within the confines of his disability - this IS the board for that :)
I also personally have some vestibular issues, hence why I said I opt out of any rollercoasters myself! ;) And I have to live with that sacrifice of never knowing those things :P

But, the DAS is intended to assist those who cannot wait in the standard queue, not those who can't/won't ride the ride at the end of the line... DAS is not meant for you to "pick up extra FP+ all along the way" for the rest of your family, simply because one of you cannot ride a particular ride. If he's unable to sit and wait for your group, then yes, you are going to have to make an accommodated plan that may not involve some of those rides...

So all of this ugliness in response to possibly needing accommodations for an older child that cannot ride certain attractions was moot.

The Rider Swap description states that RS is for when "a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction."

Here is the exact quote:

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!​

This information would have been more helpful rather than accusing us of trying to game the system.

So all of this ugliness in response to possibly needing accommodations for an older child that cannot ride certain attractions was moot.

The Rider Swap description states that RS is for when "a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction."

Here is the exact quote:

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!​

This information would have been more helpful rather than accusing us of trying to game the system.
Unfortunately while it is posted on the wdw website actually receiving a paper swap pass for tall enough older child(ren) will depend on the CM at the ride. You can definitely swap at the ride with a tall enough child but they may need to enter (and wait in) the entire cue before “swapping” near/at the load point

Here is the exact quote:

Ugliness? What ugliness?

FWIW, what Disney says on their website and how the CMs actually facilitate the Rider Switch can be much different. One method for guests who are tall enough but do not "wish to board" is to have them swap when boarding the attraction itself. Like taking the "chicken elevator" at TOT. Some of us simply want to prepare the OP for the possibility that she may have to swap inside the ride instead of outside the ride.

ETA: I would hate for OP to get FPs relying on the Rider Switch pass and then be blindsided by having to switch inside without enough FPs for everyone :(.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter