Is Chapek on the verge of being fired?

PBB

Mouseketeer
I know a lot of Disney guests and Stockholders are not pleased with the products/experiences at the parks, the movies are struggling, the stock has dropped 13% in 2 weeks after announcing “the most disappointing earnings statement in 10 years” per Market Watch, Taking the 1.8billion shares of DIS stock dropping $24 per share the value of the company has dropped +/- 43 Billion dollars in 2 weeks. Now, Chapek cancelled his scheduled appearance at D23 this weekend. Some have speculated he didn’t show due to fear of being booed on stage.

In fairness, many of the challenges that Disney has faced has been Covid related. That being said, many of the challenges have self inflected by Chapek. Is he on the verge of being fired?

Your thoughts?

I know a lot of Disney guests and Stockholders are not pleased with the products/experiences at the parks, the movies are struggling, the stock has dropped 13% in 2 weeks after announcing “the most disappointing earnings statement in 10 years” per Market Watch, Taking the 1.8billion shares of DIS stock dropping $24 per share the value of the company has dropped +/- 43 Billion dollars in 2 weeks. Now, Chapek cancelled his scheduled appearance at D23 this weekend. Some have speculated he didn’t show due to fear of being booed on stage.

In fairness, many of the challenges that Disney has faced has been Covid related. That being said, many of the challenges have self inflected by Chapek. Is he on the verge of being fired?

Your thoughts?

My thoughts is he will be dragged through till they think the effects of covid on the business are over and then they will bring in the true recovery CEO. But that is just my guess.

Can anyone knowledgeable comment on the percentage of income derived from the parks divisions in comparison to the movies, tv, Dis+ side of the business?

I fear the day that Disney doesn't want to own the parks any longer and chooses to put all their marbles in the media business. Just wondering if that is a possible scenario.

My thoughts is he will be dragged through till they think the effects of covid on the business are over and then they will bring in the true recovery CEO. But that is just my guess.
Being married to someone in the C-Suite at multi billion annual revenue entities this would be par for the course. Make them a figurehead, or charge them with headhunting to slash costs, until you reach the 3-5 years mark and then make the change so the board doesn't have to admit a bad hire in the short term.

Being the designated villain for cost cutting, under COVID pretenses, likely earns him a better golden parachute.

Last edited:
Chapek, his CFO and the rest of his minions getting s**t canned can’t happen fast enough. The longer they stay It will take many many years for Disney Parks to recover and return to its former glory.
The board can restrict him to a very narrow lane while running the clock out giving enough time to for him to 'retire' or 'pursue new opportunities' or 'focus on family' so it doesn't look like they blew it on who they hired.

Last edited:
I don't believe this scenario at all. But lets say it was true - who is the likely successor? The Disney board has always had a problem with their succession plans.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will, but I wonder whether Iger scheduled this at Chapek's request to bail out his pal.

I don’t believe this rumor at all.

Someone is spinning this to put the reason that Chapek is not traveling to D23 is because of Iger. If there was a Iger retirement party, Chapek is not mandated to attend.

The Disney PR flacks are really trying to spin the fact that Chapek was never scheduled for D23 even though Chapek was listed as the D23 opening speaker in July but then quietly removed from the D23 schedule in November.

The more logical reason that Chapek decided not to go to D23 is that Chapek and Disney PR flanks expected Chapek to be booed at the event.

Chapek knew that with Disney missing quarterly earnings, the last thing he would want is a bunch Disney Vloggers posting Chapek getting jeered and booed off stage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter