• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is BOG worth the money or should I plan a Disney Springs on another night?

disneyfool_1202

The countdown has begun!!
Going in August, and thinking BOG for dinner the night we are at MK (we are flexible what night that is and would let an available dinner reservation determine that since we are DVC members and not newbies). Never been to BOG and have heard dinner service much better than lunch experience (would love opinions though).
Wondering if dinner worth the expense or should we reserve the money, make lunch ressies instead and plan a dinner somewhere in Disney Springs for a "night off" after a day at Blizzard Beach or by the pool?

We are also going to Universal this time around. Kids are 15 (boy) and 13 (girl) so planning 3 Disney park days, 2 Universal Park days, 1 water park day and 2 relax and refresh / shop days...... when we go where does not matter!

I personally really like BOG especially for dinner, but you'll get a lot of different opinions on the food here. It's really pretty inside and for dinner you get to meet the Beast. If you've never been I'd suggest going at least once to form your own opinion on the place.

Going in August, and thinking BOG for dinner the night we are at MK (we are flexible what night that is and would let an available dinner reservation determine that since we are DVC members and not newbies). Never been to BOG and have heard dinner service much better than lunch experience (would love opinions though).
Wondering if dinner worth the expense or should we reserve the money, make lunch ressies instead and plan a dinner somewhere in Disney Springs for a "night off" after a day at Blizzard Beach or by the pool?

We are also going to Universal this time around. Kids are 15 (boy) and 13 (girl) so planning 3 Disney park days, 2 Universal Park days, 1 water park day and 2 relax and refresh / shop days...... when we go where does not matter!
"Location, location, location," is the refrain about restaurants.

Be Our Guest has a uniquely-Disney location and also happens to have a few lovely rooms. When we have the time, we request being seated in the West Wing....and only go for dinner to meet The Beast.

The food quality pretty much meets the value at BOG where we have never had a bad meal. On the other hand, Disney Springs places are not much better in terms of food quality for table-service restaurants, and where they are, they are likely more expensive than BOG. It's a trade-off that requires your own personal calculus.

If you want the diversion of shopping, Disney Springs is fine and offers very good quality, but, in the opinion of my family, it's not worth the extra time to travel to a lovely shopping mall for marginally better food that will likely cost you more money than BOG.

I agree that dinner at BOG must be experienced at least once - I personally love eating there. If you can fit it into your schedule on this trip I would, if not definitely on a future trip!

We really enjoyed our BOG dinner last trip and have another one booked for our upcoming trip. As pp said, it's worth experiencing at least once.

If you are going for the quality of food, then DS for sure. But, BOG is all about the experience. As others have said, the unique location, themeing, atmosphere, immersion into the movie...is truly a Disney experience worth going to at least once. We prefer lunch as we feel the food is better and still get the atmosphere.

We held my great niece’s 2nd birthday dinner there last September, and it was a wonderful meal. The birthday girl and her cousins enjoyed seeing the Beast. The food was fine. I had the steak and fries. Others in my group ordered the seafood pasta. Everyone enjoyed their meals.

Loved BOG dinner! It is now at the top of the must do list for our next trip!

I didn't care for BOG lunch at all. Not a BOG fan in general, but dinner there is better than lunch, and you'd get to meet the Beast. I'd either do the dinner, or skip this restaurant altogether.

I'd choose Homecomin' at DS over BoG based on food quality...BUT if you've never done BoG it's definitely something you should do once.

If you've never been for dinner, it's nice to do once. I loved the atmosphere and seeing the Beast. Although I didn't care much for the food, my husband raved about his meal.

I've done both lunch and dinner and I like them both. Dinner seems a little more leisurely than lunch, but other than that, I didn't notice much difference other than the food. Both times our food was delicious, so I would go with the one that has what you want to eat.

One thing dinner has that lunch doesn't is the Beast. If you would like to see the Beast, you have to go at dinner.

Thanks all. ADR opens in one hour! Wish me luck!
I’d love to hear if you were able to get an ADR in August. I’ve read posts and rumors that there aren’t any ADRs available for BOG at that time due to some possible change. We can make ADRs is 2 weeks and BOG is a top choice. We aren’t sure if we should abandon ship based on the rumors we’ve read, or if we should hope that it’s still an option.

Can’t wait to hear if you had any luck!

We learned something very important during our BOG dinner. The food quality can vary greatly. I ordered the steak, my husband the lamb, and my daughter the (adults) chicken. My food was good, not amazing. My husband enjoyed his lamb, but my daughter’s chicken was terrible! She said it was “hard”, and I tried it... it was soooo dry.

When our server returned to see how everything was, our daughter (who is nine), couldn’t hide her disappointment. When he asked her what was wrong, she said she didn't like her chicken. I intervened and said that it is pretty dry. That she really likes the risotto and the sauces are amazing, that she could eat that and some if my steak.. He asked her what her favorite vegetable was, and she said broccoli. He took her plate and said he would bring her another. He returned later with a new entree. It was the same chicken/risotto/sauce, but with broccoli instead of the carrots and the mushroom. The biggest difference was that the chicken was cooked perfectly and so delicious. It was the best entree of the entire table.

Typically I would never have sent back the chicken, i am glad we did. She was so happy. Had they not replaced the entree we would have left saying that the chicken was to worst thing we ate at Disney. Instead it was one of the best. It is really a shame. The kitchen just got lazy or didn’t care, that entree should never have been served.

Good luck to you with snagging the ADR! I hope you get what you want.

I loved BOG for dinner. It is as much the ambiance to me as it is the food. From the moment we carried in Lumiere to the end when we waved good-bye to the Beast, everything was wonderful. To me, the restaurant feels real and magical at the same time. My husband and I both enjoyed our entrees, too. Sure, there are places at DS that have great food, too, but just like the other posters have said, BOG is an experience to be had at least once.

Definitely recommend BOG dinner over lunch. You should try it at least once as the experience is amazing, but the food is really good as well. Even though dinner is more expensive, it's worth the price. Our server was amazing, she checked by our table often and went above and beyond when giving the little "tour" of the castle, telling us about all the little easter eggs in the designs and some of the history that went into making the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter