Is BOG worth all the fuss?

kreckl

DIS Veteran
Our last trip we saw and spoke with some people who were in a HUGE line waiting to get in for lunch , and they all had reservations! It was a hundred yards long just to check in... Seems like it may take quite a bit of time in our day to wait around and eat, not to mention the challenge of getting a table in the first place. So I'm wondering-
Would you do it again?
Is the experience/food worthwhile?
I'm happy to put the effort in if its a great experience and as amazing as it looks like it might be, but how many people think "Ahh! I could take it or leave it!"

I have never done lunch at BOG so I don't have an opinion on that. I have had dinner there on 3 different occasions. We get an early reservation---between 4:30 and 5pm---have not had an issue getting the reservation. I enjoy the food. The cupcakes are wonderful. Being able to have a glass of wine with dinner is great. The castle is beautiful. I do not think I would stand in line to get in.

With that said, if you have never done it I would suggest that you try it. But I would go for dinner. We have eaten in both the ballroom and the west wing. I prefer the west wing. It is more intimate and a lot more quiet.

For lunch, the huge line is for people without reservations. We had reservations and were walked right in (bypassing the line) to the kiosk area. The quality of food was much better than other options in the park (for us). We ate in the room only open for lunch (for that reason, have eaten in all rooms). It was bright, and felt more cafeteria-ey than the other two rooms. Great table service quality food at quick service prices.

Dinner is even better. Both of our experiences were very positive, with excellent service. I am not a big wine/beer drinker, but the selection of beers was better than other areas...and it was fantastic to have a cold beer with my meal on a hot/long day. I enjoyed seeing Beast paraded around the castle, and taking photos/meeting him at the end of our meal.

The castle is beautiful, the food is good (for us), and I prefer dinner to lunch. If lunch was my only option, we would stand in line...from what I have read, it moves quickly. There is a lot of room in there, and is a nice respit from the hustle and bustle of Magic Kingdom.

I think so! We had a lunch fast pass and had about a 10 minute wait, but we had pre-ordered. Those who hadn't had a much longer wait but it was at least inside. We will try for a fast pass there each time we go. We loved the food!

Dinner I won't try for again but it was an amazing one time experience and I really liked the food a lot. I just don't think we'll be on the regular dining plan and if I'm going to pay out of pocket for dinner it likely won't be there.

But I definitely recommend them both at least once.

Yes, I think it is worth the hype. The setting, the food, and the service is way ahead of any other CS location in WDW, and I've eaten at lots of them.

Yes definitely worth the hype. Fastpass+ was not a feature last time we went to Disney so we were waiting in line. It is intimidating but it moved very quickly and we were seated within 25 minutes. With the new option of FP+ not sure how that has changed wait times for non-FP+ guests. We loved the lunch and will be booking a FP+ for it this go around. We also managed to score BOG for dinner on our first full day in Disney. :) Very excited to try the dinner experience as well!

I've never done lunch at BOG, but I was lucky enough to get dinner reservations on my last trip.
It is absolutely beautiful inside. And the dinner was amazing. We had steak, and it was delicious. My husband has been bugging me since then that next time we go, we must go again to BOG.

I'm trying so hard to get a dinner reservation for February with no luck. I'm hoping closer to time I'll have some success. Would love to go!!

I'm trying so hard to get a dinner reservation for February with no luck. I'm hoping closer to time I'll have some success. Would love to go!!

Don't give up! I checked everyday for a few weeks then finally something popped! I finally got a dinner reservation for our trip in January.

I think it is like CRT, everyone should experience it at least once. We have only been at dinner and have been seated in both the ballroom and the music-box room. If you can get a dinner ressie I would do it just to see the details inside the castle. Don't know that I would stand in a long line though.

The food is good, not fantastic, IMO. The cupcakes are OK but I really wish they would offer other dessert options.

I have never done lunch at BOG so I don't have an opinion on that. I have had dinner there on 3 different occasions. We get an early reservation---between 4:30 and 5pm---have not had an issue getting the reservation. I enjoy the food. The cupcakes are wonderful. Being able to have a glass of wine with dinner is great. The castle is beautiful. I do not think I would stand in line to get in.

How long was dinner for you? I've got a reservation around 4:30 but would like to see the castle lighting which is usually around 6:15 - I've read elsewhere that dinner is longer than an hour, was this true for you?

We've done lunch. I thought it was very good. We used the fp+ reservation and had no wait getting in, already pre-ordered so it was simple. We're glad we got to experience it, but not sure we'd do it every trip.

Thanks everyone! We're going to try to get a reservation or fast pass as it sounds like its worth trying!

Before last week I would have told you that it was our absolute favorite CS lunch at WDW and one of our absolute favorite dinner services. Last week changed all that. Lunch is currently FP+ only- in other words no standby line at all- if you don't have a FP+, you don't eat there. I got the E-mail from WDW that I was eligible, immediately got on the website and they were already all gone for our dates. In the past we have gone at absolute peak lunch time and never waited more than 15 or 20 minutes to get in. I didn't worry much about it because we had a dinner ADR there and I figured we could always do lunch standby if we really wanted lunch there.

We get to WDW and discover that lunch is now FP+ only. Again, no big deal since we have a dinner ADR, but dinner turns into a disaster. On our past trips, the only rooms open at dinner were the ballroom and the west wing- the good rooms. This trip, they were using the library/rose gallery as an overflow room. Not only that, but they had a bunch of big brown industrial type carts parked in a corner of the room (not the small dessert/service carts). DD had been taking about being back at BOG for dinner for months. The minute they walked us into the "back" room, DD's face fell. She tried to stop the tears from coming, but couldn't. It was not a fit, it was total disappointment, at being stuck in the half full room that felt like a cafeteria. One of those where she was trying not to cry, but the big silent tears were running down her face. I walked her around the other rooms so she could at least experience them, but that just made the tears run down her face harder and made the fact we weren't sitting in either of the "real" dinner rooms worse. There is no switching rooms, or waiting for a table in the other rooms. If you are unlucky enough to be stuck in overflow, that is where you stay. The overflow room was never more than 1/2 full. We were near the entrance, and watched several people come in and be disappointed at where they were being taken. I took her to the bathroom to wash her hands and clean up her face, and someone had just thrown up in the sink- a lot- and a poor CM was trying to clean it up. We went back to the table and our food arrived, although DD and I had totally lost our appetite between us seeing the large amount of puke, her being sad that she was not in the Ballroom or west wing- but got stuck in the room that used to be for lunch only- and me feeling so bad about how sad she was. The only bright side of the meal was that at dinner you get to have a meet and greet with the Beast as you leave the restaurant.

After that, I really wanted to take her to lunch there later in the week so she could sit in the ballroom or the west wing, and I could make the miserable evening up to her. Not possible. We were not able to get a FP+ (which I had not been able to since the outset), were not able to pick up a cancellation, and there was no standby line allowed, as it is currently FP+ only.

So-- I would say don't go into it with high expectations. We had high expectations based on our past experiences there, and WDW's recent changes ruined them and made for big disappointment. That said (and my need to vent aside- sorry it is still just a really sore spot from our trip), the place is beautiful and definitely worth seeing. If you can get a FP+ for lunch, grab it. Also, if you can get a dinner ADR, I would still try it, especially if you have never seen it before- or if you want to meet the Beast as a dinner ADR is the only way to do that. The place is impressive. In our past experiences the food was good too. As you have not been there before, maybe it will not make a difference to you if you get stuck in in the overflow room at dinner instead of one of the two main rooms. You are allowed to walk around and tour the other rooms- and they encourage you to do so- so at least you would get to do that.

I think it's worth the hype, especially for counter service as it's a sit down lunch and they bring you the food.

It is gorgeous inside, but the overcrowding kind of ruins it a bit. However it is well worth a see and lunch is great. The dinner offerings aren't as interesting and the dinner braised pork is somehow different than the popular lunch version, making me like it less.

If you love BATB you can't pass it up and unless you expect to turn into Belle when you walk in, I don't think you will be disappointed.

So how is it determined which room you'll be seated in? Are there tiers like the hoop? What do I do?

For lunch it is a solid option. Food-wise I prefer LTT, but the atmosphere is great.

Dinner is the most over-hyped experience in all of WDW. This is not an exaggeration, it was the single worst dining experience I have ever had. Not just in WDW, but anywhere. Bad service and inedible food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter