Is Boardwalk worth it?

CaryHaven

DIS Veteran
We're already doing DTD. Boardwalk looks pretty but is there anything worth going for? We have a four year old and one year old.

I just asked my ds 12 how he liked going there and he said ah, it's ok. It's nice but not much to do.

That's what I was thinking. I know some people hate DTD but I love the toy story (we collect Potato Head parts) and the Lego store. Plus if I want a silhouette or Christmas ornament, I feel like it isn't taking away valuable time in the parks.

we love going to DTD. We love walking around, looking in the stores and just relaxing. Boardwalk is nice, but nothing really for kids.

For your aged kids there is nothing much other than a nice walk around the lake, of course the boat rides across the lake, mostly restaurants and some shops, although even those I would say are not geared towards younger kids. There is also a very nice open grassy area at the Boardwalk Inn/Villas that kids would love to run and play in. DTD would be much better suited for them as far as shops and things to see that would interest them especially. I would not let this dissuade you from staying at the Boardwalk though, but if choosing to visit just for the boardwalk not so much.

DTD has the Lego shop with the great displays, the best Disney store, plus a couple of rides suited for a 1 and 4 year old. Also some great restaurants (T-Rex for example) that they would get a kick out of. Also has ghiradelli for Ice cream.

BW has a game area by ESPN, you can rent the old fashioned covered bikes (don't know the official name ), and take the little ones for a ride around the lake, beaches & cream at Beach Club/ Yacht Club or there is an ice cream shop at BW. If you go at night they do have a couple of games like shooting basketball, getting the frog on the lily pad, etc.

For the ages of the little ones, they might enjoy DTD more.

Your kids are a little young to enjoy the buskers at the Boardwalk, I would hold off until they are 12 and 9

Not much to do, especially with little kids. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there unless I was staying at one of the nearby resorts and had nothing else to do.

If going to the Boardwalk involves a big investment of time, I would skip it. If you plan to eat at one of the Epcot resorts, it would be nice to look around. By taking the boat between Epcot and HS, you can see what it looks like and decide if you want to stop.

If going to the Boardwalk involves a big investment of time, I would skip it. If you plan to eat at one of the Epcot resorts, it would be nice to look around. By taking the boat between Epcot and HS, you can see what it looks like and decide if you want to stop.

Taking the boat from HS to the boardwalk is fun but not a lot to do for lil ones unless of course you go to the bakery or grab ice cream and sit and people watch. We loved it but we were tired and wanting to chill out. Our dd12 loved the bakery.... Lol

During the day, there isn't much to do. I'd say skip it with that age group. But if you end your night at the parks early, stopping by the Boardwalk at night is much different. There are a lot of performers and magicians. It could be entertaining if your kids are into that. If not, again I'd say skip it and wait until they're older.

How funny it is that people can have such different opinions about the same place! :goodvibes

Your 1-year old obviously won't care about Boardwalk, but it has been my 9-year old's favorite place for years!

He LOVES watching the entertainment at night (magicians, musicians, etc.). They have a little playground by the pool, they have a very decent arcade, by the bathrooms in the lobby they have the machines that you can look in for a penny and see the scenes flip by, the seashore sweets has hand-scooped ice cream and the bakery is really good. My kids enjoy looking at the water, and you can rent the surrey bikes there.

If you are at Epcot, and you have time, I think it's def. worth walking over to both the Beach Club and Boardwalk. At the Beach Club they can also play in the lagoon sand and watch movies at night on the beach. It's also a great place to see the Epcot fireworks if your kids are scared of the sound of the "booms" inside the park (not that we've ever had that problem! ;) )

Have fun!

OP I think your kids would like it. Its not crowded like DTD and the entertainment is great for kids. There is a magician who interacts with the kids and always seeking volunteers to help with his acts, musicians and just strolling around have a snack - there is a bakery, popcorn stand, hot dogs, and pizza and you can even watch the fireworks at Epcot from the BW area.

How funny it is that people can have such different opinions about the same place! :goodvibes

Your 1-year old obviously won't care about Boardwalk, but it has been my 9-year old's favorite place for years!

He LOVES watching the entertainment at night (magicians, musicians, etc.). They have a little playground by the pool, they have a very decent arcade, by the bathrooms in the lobby they have the machines that you can look in for a penny and see the scenes flip by, the seashore sweets has hand-scooped ice cream and the bakery is really good. My kids enjoy looking at the water, and you can rent the surrey bikes there.

If you are at Epcot, and you have time, I think it's def. worth walking over to both the Beach Club and Boardwalk. At the Beach Club they can also play in the lagoon sand and watch movies at night on the beach. It's also a great place to see the Epcot fireworks if your kids are scared of the sound of the "booms" inside the park (not that we've ever had that problem! ;) )

Have fun!

Wow, wonder what my kids would think of surrey bikes. :) I've never actually seen the Epcot fireworks. I thought they were kind of low? You can actually see them from Boardwalk?

OP I think your kids would like it. Its not crowded like DTD and the entertainment is great for kids. There is a magician who interacts with the kids and always seeking volunteers to help with his acts, musicians and just strolling around have a snack - there is a bakery, popcorn stand, hot dogs, and pizza and you can even watch the fireworks at Epcot from the BW area.

My older girl would LOVE the magician. I think we'll run over for some ice cream and see what else we can find. Thanks!

i love the boardwalk, but i am not a child. why not try the character breakfast at cape may cafe at the beach club? if you are there on halloween night they have games and candy thows in the grassy area at the boardwalk, also an mc leading line dancing. lots of fun. i don't know if they do this on other nights of the mnsshp.

dtd is always interesting for adults and children. kids love to see all the shops there and a few of the restaurants. also line dancing led by an mc outside at night. :thumbsup2 dances that are fun for everyone. i see young kids, old people, teenagers, and young adults having fun there.

If this is your first trip, there are so many other things to enjoy in the parks or DTD. For me, it wouldn't be worth traveling time to get to the Boardwalk to see it. If this were my second or third trip, and I wanted to see something new, I would check out the Boardwalk.

I found if staying at a resort in epcot resort area the boardwalk is great to walk around and grab funnel cake or go to the brewery for some drinks but when we are not staying at the beach club or in the area, it is not worth the hassle of getting over there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter