Is Blizzard Beach closed week of Sep 8? [Yes, it is]

rlk

DIS Veteran
I just checked the Disney calendar and there are no hours listed. I see no hours for the following week as well. Does the park usually close for refurbishment this early?

i'm so bummed if this is correct. we were planning a BB day that week. since when have they closed a water park so early in the season for refurb?

I must say I’m now absolutely furious at this. I specifically booked to go in October in the hope of avoiding Galaxy’s Edge and having both water parks open. I have an autistic member of my party and blizzard beach is at the top of their list. Had we known this then I wouldn’t have booked to come in October. I’m very far from happy about this sudden closure and what it will mean for the crowd levels of typhoon lagoon given that the parks are already expected to be far busier than usual with GE going to be open. Not happy with Disney at all right now.

I must say I’m now absolutely furious at this. I specifically booked to go in October in the hope of avoiding Galaxy’s Edge and having both water parks open. I have an autistic member of my party and blizzard beach is at the top of their list. Had we known this then I wouldn’t have booked to come in October. I’m very far from happy about this sudden closure and what it will mean for the crowd levels of typhoon lagoon given that the parks are already expected to be far busier than usual with GE going to be open. Not happy with Disney at all right now.

I am really sorry is there a chance to move your stay still?

Unfortunately sounds like Disney decided they needed more time for the typical late October-December shutdown to get it completed prior to the Typhoon Jan-Mar shutdown. Hopefully its a misprint or maybe something big is changing?

It would have been nice though if it was announced much farther in advance since everything Disney wise should be really running on a 200 day announce schedule (20 days before ADRs).

i'm so bummed if this is correct. we were planning a BB day that week. since when have they closed a water park so early in the season for refurb?

Has BB had a major refurb recently or just the annual closures. I think 1995 was the last major refurb (based on the info I can find) so possibly this is something bigger they decided to finally approve budget for?

I'm bummed too. We are going Sept 11 to celebrate DS's HS Graduation. BB is his favorite WP. I swear, every week Disney makes yet another announcement to force me to modify our plans for this trip. I fear what may come next...

I’m laughing a bit at this. September will be my third trip to Disney world and both previous times Blizzard Beach has been closed for refurbishment - once Oct/Nov the other Feb. I was considering trying BB this trip but I guess that’s decided it. Glad I decided a few days at universal to do HHN and Volcano Bay was a good idea as part of this trip!

All I can do is laugh. Seems like they keep throwing me curve balls this trip. Planned to do Blizzard Beach on Sep 8th. Guess we will do BB on the 7th and TL on the 8th, though crowds will probably be worse. Can't win. LOL

Just wanted to go to beaches and cream and blizzard beach in September. Guess I won't be doing those things.

I'm surprised they have moved this forward. They seem to be predicting huge crowds for GE yet they are shutting a water park

Very curious.

Having enjoyed some pretty darn empty water park days in Sept, I guess I can understand.

But can’t say I’m that happy about this. :-(

I’m laughing a bit at this. September will be my third trip to Disney world and both previous times Blizzard Beach has been closed for refurbishment - once Oct/Nov the other Feb. I was considering trying BB this trip but I guess that’s decided it. Glad I decided a few days at universal to do HHN and Volcano Bay was a good idea as part of this trip!

When was BB closed in February? I am not aware of a time its ever been closed then.

Seriously what is up with Sept 8th.
It is our arrival day and now I find out EVERYTHING is closing that day.
I am extremely annoyed at this.
We don't like Typhoon Lagoon and to have BB closed when it is still so hot seems absurd to me especially with these huge crowds they have predicted.

When was BB closed in February? I am not aware of a time its ever been closed then.

2015 was my first visit (so went to Typhoon Lagoon) then a year or two later they swapped which one was closed first. 2018 was my last visit and they closed Blizzard Beach in October/November which was disappointing as they did it the previous way back in 2015. This year I thought I’d get lucky with September. I’m still not sure it’s not a glitch. If you look at the park hours for December then blizzard beach is actually listed as closed whereas in September and early October there’s nothing listed.

I am really sorry is there a chance to move your stay still?

Unfortunately sounds like Disney decided they needed more time for the typical late October-December shutdown to get it completed prior to the Typhoon Jan-Mar shutdown. Hopefully its a misprint or maybe something big is changing?

It would have been nice though if it was announced much farther in advance since everything Disney wise should be really running on a 200 day announce schedule (20 days before ADRs).

Hello,

Unfortunately we can’t move the date we go due to having booked everything independently from flights, car hire, airport lounges etc. Not only would we lose a good bit of money by doing this but we’re also going on a free dining offer for 3 weeks which in order to get again would significantly push the date of going back at least a year.

I’ve not broken the news about BB yet and I’m considering the best way to do so. I also completely understand the need to refurbish and update the parks although just fail to understand why this was not made public earlier and is going to happen around a time they state they will be expecting record numbers due to opening Galaxy’s Edge early.

Being completely honest I feel this closure is starting to bear the brunt of a lot of frustration that’s been building for a while with the planning of this trip. It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve last been to Disney and between ADR’s, fastpasses, the MDE app, parking charges, fast pass tiers, closures, Not so scary tickets and MK park hours to expected crowd levels the whole thing seems far more complicated than before. I’m now just thankful I didn’t opt for the regular dining plan as not sure I could begin to book 3 weeks worth of dining reservations before knowing what fast passes were even available.Haha! Forgive the moaning...despite being as on top of things as I’ve felt it possible to be it feels like such unexpected closures are annoying as we have been expected to organise all aspects of the trip so far in advance that I would expect the courtesy of them providing this kind of information far earlier to allow people to do the planning that is now expected of them when going to Disney.

Sorry for the rant. Fingers crossed that nothing further is announced relating to closures.

We were planning to go to Blizzard Beach on the 14th of September... For what it's worth, according to Touring Plans Blizzard Beach's refurbishment is planned from10/27/19 to 1/5/20. I can't find any other info about this, so I'm hoping Disney is just late with posting the opening hours for September?

Edit: Never mind, starting from 9/8 official Disney site says: "Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park is closed on this date but you can still visit Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park". 💔

Last edited:
Hello,

Unfortunately we can’t move the date we go due to having booked everything independently from flights, car hire, airport lounges etc. Not only would we lose a good bit of money by doing this but we’re also going on a free dining offer for 3 weeks which in order to get again would significantly push the date of going back at least a year.

I’ve not broken the news about BB yet and I’m considering the best way to do so. I also completely understand the need to refurbish and update the parks although just fail to understand why this was not made public earlier and is going to happen around a time they state they will be expecting record numbers due to opening Galaxy’s Edge early.

Being completely honest I feel this closure is starting to bear the brunt of a lot of frustration that’s been building for a while with the planning of this trip. It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve last been to Disney and between ADR’s, fastpasses, the MDE app, parking charges, fast pass tiers, closures, Not so scary tickets and MK park hours to expected crowd levels the whole thing seems far more complicated than before. I’m now just thankful I didn’t opt for the regular dining plan as not sure I could begin to book 3 weeks worth of dining reservations before knowing what fast passes were even available.Haha! Forgive the moaning...despite being as on top of things as I’ve felt it possible to be it feels like such unexpected closures are annoying as we have been expected to organise all aspects of the trip so far in advance that I would expect the courtesy of them providing this kind of information far earlier to allow people to do the planning that is now expected of them when going to Disney.

Sorry for the rant. Fingers crossed that nothing further is announced relating to closures.

I'm not one to complain, but I can relate to your frustration. Its been several years since I've been to WDW after visiting 16 years straight. Over the last few weeks, I've been reminded why we stopped going. Our plans for September keep evolving with each new announcement. I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time. Disney has created an amazing product. However, for my family, at least, the cost and frustration one must endure to experience that product has finally outweighed its value. May there be no more announcements (or potential hurricanes) that could negatively impact this trip (fingers crossed with you!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter