• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is anyone still wearing masks indoors at Disney?

We are about to finish a two week trip in the next few days. We wore N95s anytime indoors where the crowd stopped. Also tried not to touch any surfaces unless we had to such as lap bars and then sanitized using our own spray sanitizer we brought along right as we exited the ride. Monkey Pox will likely be going around here along with Covid still going on over the next few months and really didn't want either one especially early on in the vacation. To answer your question, we saw more bare backsides at the pools and water parks than we did masks on our trip.

I mask about 85-90% of the time indoors overall

I think af Epcot Saturday (local AP) I only unmasked indoors at our meal, on GoTG (pocketed my mask just before boarding ride) popping into a few gift shops later in the day (my companion wasn’t masking)

For those that masked indoors but not outdoors unless crowded, did you mask on Jungle Cruise? I know they seat people kind of close??

In hindsight, we should have worn masks on our trip last month - my niece got COVID at the end of the trip (our last day in the parks, she said she didn't feel well) and luckily we could quarantine in the room and leave as planned the next morning. We drove, so we just quarantined in the motel one night, had her wear her mask for restroom breaks, etc. But next time we go, masks indoors and in crowds for certain! It seemed like half the adults down there were coughing up a lung, one woman spit in a bush right in front of us after a coughing attack, and it was disgusting. Not one of those coughing adults put on/had on a mask?

In hindsight, we should have worn masks on our trip last month - my niece got COVID at the end of the trip (our last day in the parks, she said she didn't feel well) and luckily we could quarantine in the room and leave as planned the next morning. We drove, so we just quarantined in the motel one night, had her wear her mask for restroom breaks, etc. But next time we go, masks indoors and in crowds for certain! It seemed like half the adults down there were coughing up a lung, one woman spit in a bush right in front of us after a coughing attack, and it was disgusting. Not one of those coughing adults put on/had on a mask?
Honestly, not to start anything but this makes me so mad! If you're sick stay in, you are the problem. (Not you the coughing/spitting people)

Rant over.

We were there from July 9th- 22nd. There were so many people coughing and blowing noses all over the place. I was so worried the entire trip one if us would get sick. Luckily, we made it through the whole trip...however, by Sunday the 24th, I had a sore throat and stuffy nose. I did a home test and it was positive. I finally just feel back to normal. I wished we would have worn masks indoors. I am thankful I didnt get sick until we already got home.

I'll be masking for D23 Expo next month. Some outdoor spots too; I expect it to be crowded. But I still mask here (NJ/NYC) anyways, so not a change for me. I had it in December (my entire office got it), and it triggered a 5-month relapse of a muscle condition I have. Trying to avoid that fun again, so I stick to N95s on transit and KN95s in crowds. I have eaten indoors at WDW since then, and by eating at off times/asking for seating that's not in the middle of the room, I've been ok so far.

Just came back from Disney and then Dollywood - 2 very different but awesome places :) No one is wearing masks at either place - well, that is hyperbole. Maybe 1% at Disney and less than that at Dollywood. All the posters above who state they wear masks indoors must not have been on trips when we were there. If you want to wear a mask, no one cares at this point. Really, no one is paying attention to anyone but themselves, so enjoy your vacation either way :)

If you are worried about the people coughing.sneezing....this has been the same for the last 50 years...people tend to get sick on vacations - they are exposed to lots of different people, are tired, stressed, exhausted. Immune system gets run down and you get sick when you get home. This feeling that Covid started this feeling is bizarre - or that masks are the answer? It has always been this way and will continue. Enjoy life, stop worrying.

But to answer the OP's question - no, people aren't wearing masks indoors, but many people say they are. And if they do or don't - it doesn't matter - you do you :)

Going next month. Will definitely be masked indoors and in crowded outdoor situations. I will have my 84 year old mother who had major surgery in Feb with me. Definitely need to avoid Covid. We have been to Disneyland many times (locals) and we always mask when we are there in crowded or indoor areas. So the basic plan is the same for WDW.

We were there from July 9th- 22nd. There were so many people coughing and blowing noses all over the place. I was so worried the entire trip one if us would get sick. Luckily, we made it through the whole trip...however, by Sunday the 24th, I had a sore throat and stuffy nose. I did a home test and it was positive. I finally just feel back to normal. I wished we would have worn masks indoors. I am thankful I didnt get sick until we already got home.
We were there during that time period, I tested positive on the 22nd. We had to leave early. I wish I would have masked more, but I have another friend who was there the same time, and she is very careful about masking and she tested positive the day after I did.

If you are worried about the people coughing.sneezing....this has been the same for the last 50 years...people tend to get sick on vacations - they are exposed to lots of different people, are tired, stressed, exhausted. Immune system gets run down and you get sick when you get home. This feeling that Covid started this feeling is bizarre - or that masks are the answer? It has always been this way and will continue. Enjoy life, stop worrying.
I don't personally know anyone who has died from a common cold. I do know people who have died from covid. Flu cases had been way down when people were wearing masks. The attitude that you should just go out there and don't worry about getting sick bothers me.

Just came back from Disney and then Dollywood - 2 very different but awesome places :) No one is wearing masks at either place - well, that is hyperbole. Maybe 1% at Disney and less than that at Dollywood. All the posters above who state they wear masks indoors must not have been on trips when we were there. If you want to wear a mask, no one cares at this point. Really, no one is paying attention to anyone but themselves, so enjoy your vacation either way :)

But to answer the OP's question - no, people aren't wearing masks indoors, but many people say they are. And if they do or don't - it doesn't matter - you do you :)
I agree completely. This is not new news. People have always gotten sick at disneyworld, and other parks, with all kinds of viruses, etc. We always got sick each trip, but usually my husband. We had flu symptoms the last day with chills, fever, cough, etc. It happened every time! There are thousands of people from all over the world who visit WDW. I would be surprised if they didn't have illnesses in WDW and other parks where there are huge crowds. People won't cancel their vacations if they or a family member doesn't feel good right before or during the trip. They paid alot of money to go and they will go. There's no way to change that.

As far as masks? Anyone can wear them if they want to IMO, if they feel more protected and comfortable - good for them. I don't think anyone even cares or gets upset when they see someone wearing a mask.

By now, people are used to seeing others wearing masks. It's not weird or anything, and folks understand.

Choose what is best for you and your family. Even though we don't wear them unless required, it doesn't bother me at all if others are wearing masks.

My general thought on this is: Don't come to a place like WDW, masks or not, unless you are comfortable with the potential of contracting Covid while there. If you are o.k. with that, then by all means, join the party! We had an amazing time last month.

Dan

My Wife and I were there July 11th and 12th. Drove home to south florida. I tested positive on the 14th...my Wife on the 16th.

Hardly and masks to be seen in the park...we were walking behind one man that sneezed repeatedly into the air in front of us without any effort to cover up...we back tracked and let him get ahead of us.

Going back the second week of Sept and we'll both wear masks indoors...not sure if it'll matter. If we get it again we probably don't go back for a while regardless of our annual passes.

Sorry to hear about the recent positive tests and hope that everyone recovers quickly and fully. I posted this on the previous Covid Curious thread, which was unfortunately shut down. We know some people in our circle who all recently came back from Disney World with Covid. We were in WDW from June 17-25 and we managed to avoid it. Probably with lots of luck, since it’s everywhere right now. But wanted to report what we did in case it helps others and we have the same plan for another trip next month.

We are still careful for various reasons (immune compromised and high risk family members plus we have some long Covid in our circle and want to avoid that). We know the risks and accept them but try to mitigate as much as possible. DH and I haven’t had Covid, that we know of, and this was our 3rd trip since park reopening. We wore KN95 and PF94 masks at all times indoors (including in the airports and on the plane). We limited time in crowds and went to plans B and C when needed. We took Ubers/Lyfts instead of buses. We also limited indoor dining but we did eat indoors a few times. In restaurants we wore masks until our food arrived, then we put on disposable face shields so we could eat “underneath” them. Did we get a few funny looks? Yes but we didn’t care.

We did see some others wearing masks, so the comments about “no one” wearing them is exaggerated. Honestly, we wouldn’t care even if we were the only ones. We had a great trip and tested a few times after coming home- all negative. We take precautions in daily life because I don’t want to be the one to pass it to my immunocompromised parent, while trying to live life at the same time. Hope everyone here stays healthy and recovers quickly!

We caught covid in a Orlando in May despite wearing masks indoors. Thankfully mild cases, but not sure it was the current variant so could get it again. Had a trip to the UK in July, wore masks on planes and trains. Some family members who had not previously had Covid came home with it. Around here lots of people still wearing masks on public transportation and in stores, it is required at doctor offices and my physical therapy place, so I am used to still using them.

We were there during that time period, I tested positive on the 22nd. We had to leave early. I wish I would have masked more, but I have another friend who was there the same time, and she is very careful about masking and she tested positive the day after I did.
I should add to this, we will be back in less than 5 weeks. Hoping I make it through the whole trip this time! My case was super mild but leaving early really wasn’t fun.

Hoping for a safe trip for everyone as well. We are both due for the second booster so will have that under our belts before the Sept. trip.

My Wife's case was very mild. My first 5 days was ok. We both got a prescription for paxlovid the day we tested positive. I ended up with rebound and that was worse.

We'll both be wearing masks indoors as well as being more diligent with hand sanitizer. Having to stay away from my parents for 2 weeks was a real bummer...and I really don't want to experience that again....that said...we'll still roll the dice with a little more mindfulness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter