Is anyone going to miss the Universe of Energy?

@SorcererLori23 I am immensely going to miss the Universe of Energy!! :sad1: :sad2: :sad:I've always looked forward getting on the simulation when I visited the park. I remember my first time going to EPCOT in Spring 1998 my mom (knowing I am such a fan) told me I was going to enjoy this ride because of Bill Nye and like all moms, she was right. It was a great ride with a lot of useful information teaching us the importance of global evolution. Then when my partner @aleh021 first told me last year that they were thinking of taking out the ride in the upcoming future, I didn't believe him but know its like surreal. I'm happy to have the whole 47min audio from the simulation, so it makes up for my car rides and road trips to Disney, but I know for sure its not going to be the same when I visit EPCOT next in September 2017. It had a great architecture to its entrance and know it'll be covered with and then to be replaced with Guardian of the Galaxy:laundy:
:tinker:Pardon Our Pixie Dust

I can't say no more but,
CHEERS TO THE UNIVERSE OF ENERGY FOR GIVING ME A GREAT RIDE!!!!

Well, not ALL.
More on-the-nose "CM Information?" ;)

Click HERE.
and HERE.
True. Should never have said EVERYTHING. Because as we all know, they did get rid of some parade floats. Just as one other example
I was thinking along the line of statues/figures.
They showed us several re-purposed ones. Surely these Dino's stand a decent chance of getting re-purposed, at least some

I'll miss the dinosaurs for sure. I won't miss the video part which was outdated--think Ellen's phone. I remember when the ride was full, but it hasn't been for many years. I'd have preferred an update, but I'm sure the GotG will make more people happy than an update.

I will miss it. It was a great place for a break. You could really spread out and relax on that ride. Last year we ducked in during a torrential downpour and were soaking wet. It was great to sit and recharge for a bit. Plus I love Ellen and the dinosaur part was cool. I do understand that it needs an update though.

True. Should never have said EVERYTHING. Because as we all know, they did get rid of some parade floats. Just as one other example
I was thinking along the line of statues/figures.
They showed us several re-purposed ones. Surely these Dino's stand a decent chance of getting re-purposed, at least some

Agreed.

I used to love looking at some of the long-removed animatronic figures and props from Epcot's (former) World of Motion, etc.
in the "prop room" section of the DHS Backlot Tour.

Last edited:
Surely these Dino's stand a decent chance of getting re-purposed, at least some

They could replace Expedition Everest's ill-fated Betti the Yeti with a menacing T. Rex.

(Or even maybe by that freaky Ellen animatronic formerly used in the Dino room.)

;)

My 18-year-old son is absolutely devastated--and quite frankly, rather irritated--that the Universe of Energy is going away. He is deeply emotionally attached it, dating back to his early elementary school days. We were just at EPCOT last month for a farewell experience on UE. It was tough walking out of there for the last time after all these years. In fact, one day, our son went on his own (without us knowing it) to mourn its departure in private. When he asked a CM about why the attraction is going away, the CM curtly replied, "It's 35 years old." (Not exactly, the best PR response, BTW :)). Our son stated it will be a LONG time before he will be able to bring himself to go to EPCOT again. And, if and when he does, he vows not to take in Guardians of the Galaxy (we'll see.).

On the one hand, I get it. The attraction has grown "tired" for folks and the low carriage numbers make that obvious. And, yes, things change--progress, right? I'm all for it; we've been thrilled by the introduction of new attractions such as Toy Story Mania and even the new phenom that is Flight of Passage (simply awesome!). But I think this is a case of missed opportunity. Instead of bulldozing UE, why not re-imagine it? They certainly could have updated the story to reflect all the progress in new energy exploration and sustainability efforts. Perhaps that was discussed and market-tested with bad results. Not the kind of thing that appeals to folks any more, I guess. Kinda sad. Farewell UE--thanks for the memories!!

Yes, but it's definitely one of the more outdated attractions so I guess I'll like the replacement more :)

Definitely going to miss being able to take a nap in the air conditioning without having to go back to the room.

My 18-year-old son is absolutely devastated--and quite frankly, rather irritated--that the Universe of Energy is going away. He is deeply emotionally attached it, dating back to his early elementary school days. We were just at EPCOT last month for a farewell experience on UE. It was tough walking out of there for the last time after all these years. In fact, one day, our son went on his own (without us knowing it) to mourn its departure in private. When he asked a CM about why the attraction is going away, the CM curtly replied, "It's 35 years old." (Not exactly, the best PR response, BTW :)). Our son stated it will be a LONG time before he will be able to bring himself to go to EPCOT again. And, if and when he does, he vows not to take in Guardians of the Galaxy (we'll see.).

On the one hand, I get it. The attraction has grown "tired" for folks and the low carriage numbers make that obvious. And, yes, things change--progress, right? I'm all for it; we've been thrilled by the introduction of new attractions such as Toy Story Mania and even the new phenom that is Flight of Passage (simply awesome!). But I think this is a case of missed opportunity. Instead of bulldozing UE, why not re-imagine it? They certainly could have updated the story to reflect all the progress in new energy exploration and sustainability efforts. Perhaps that was discussed and market-tested with bad results. Not the kind of thing that appeals to folks any more, I guess. Kinda sad. Farewell UE--thanks for the memories!!
But that is the reason. It's 35 years old. I'm not sure why a grown man would question a CM who had nothing to do with the decision about the ride's departure, even if he was, uh, "mourning."

I'll miss it. I'm pretty sure I've ridden it on every trip to WDW. I love dinosaurs, air-conditioning, Ellen, and movable theater seats. I hope they replace it with something good.

My family will miss it. We made sure to see it once every trip and enjoyed both the pre-show and the ride. I loved going past the dinos and remembering going to Epcot with my family as a teenager. There won't be too many original attractions left at Epcot, which makes me sad.

That being said, my family LOVES the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and the new GOTG ride at Disneyland was the highlight of our trip a few months ago. I can't wait to see what the Imagineers come up with. I hope it's a roller coaster of some sort. I wish UOE was staying and we were getting a new Guardians ride, too.

Yes, I am going to miss UoE (& GMR too)! Pop has a very bad back (fractures that can't be fixed) and at 85, he isn't going on the latest thrill rides. Other than going to shows and people watching, these two attractions were the ones he could ride. No fast spins, and a lot to see. I know most people thought it lame, but it always makes him smile. It's like Test Track- he could ride World of Motion, but those fast curves would cause great pain (& could do more damage). So he looks at the cars when I ride. It seems we are losing rides that kids could ride with grandparents whose health might keep them off most rides. Thanks for the laughs and the memories- we will miss you, Ellen....and Stupid Judy too!

Well, I'm sorry the attraction is going away because we enjoyed it, but I won't miss it, either. It's almost as dated as the Carousel of Progress (well, maybe I'm exaggerating). It's not "classic" enough to be saved, IMO. There are attractions in WDW that will probably never go, and ones that can be taken away to bring the parks into the 21st century. So far, Disney has walked that fine line pretty well.

I am not a fan of GotG, so I probably won't visit the new attraction more than a one and done (if that). But as someone who really liked the original Universe of Energy, the Ellen version has been a one and done for me too. I do have a day planned next week to visit both the departing attractions, but in the case of Energy it will be for the nostalgia of what remains from the original than to remember the ride as it is now.

I don't buy that just because an attraction is 35 years old that it's no longer enjoyable. Quite a few of the MK attractions are older and are still very popular. I think it's just cheaper in the short term to replace an existing attraction with infrastructure in place than to start from scratch. It certainly wouldn't be as expensive to update a small part of an existing attraction as it is to build out a new one. I have been on GMR at least once each trip, and it seemed to be busy enough. Add in an updated scene or two and it could have continued many years. From what I understand UoE wasn't as busy, which probably made the decision to close it an easier one. Age alone just doesn't make sense.

I just hope that whatever replaces UoE and GMR are attractions that all members of the family can enjoy, from infants to grandmas. There are plenty of thrill rides and losing two family rides hits a multigenerational family hard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter