Is anyone else upset about this?

wdwfreak

Mouseketeer
I have been, and continue to be, a DIEHARD WDW fan. I love going to the parks, and it always gives me a special feeling to be in "the World". Naturally, as much as we go to WDW, we bought into DVC. We love DVC! We've only stayed at VWL, but our experience was Wonderful!!

However, all these cutbacks are starting to make us regret our decision. Some of the most special things about staying at a WDW resort have been taken away, under the (false) pretense of Security, etc. Gone are E-nights and Early Entry. I mean, I realize Disney doesn't have to offer these, but they are perks we've gotten used to, and to lie and say that security is the main reason for these two cutbacks (unfairly) plays on our fears. Disney is strictly trying to save a few bucks. Whenever, we've done EE or E-night, if nothing else, security (i.e. IDing who was getting into the parks) was only heightened because they checked passes and IDs to make sure you were a resort guest and had paid for the right to attend these functions.

To get rid of EE and E-Nights, with shortened parks hours, creates HUGE crowds, no matter what time of year it is. If the magic kingdom is only open for 9 hours a days, it is going to be congested no matter what, because this makes for less time for so many people to experiece the attractions.

As much as we love Disney, we have gone so far as to discuss selling our DVC interest, just because it doesn't seem like such a great deal anymore.

Does anyone else feel like this, or are we being unreasonable?

I guess it all depends on what your interests are. We have never done a E night or an EE and don't intend to. Park hours are always shortened in the winter months. Give credit to Disney for biting the bullet to make it thru this trying time. They need to run DW at a profit like any other company.

I don't have any problem at all with them doing what they have to do. We just closed on 50 more HH points yesteday.

You own at a beautiful resort in VWL. Rejoice and enjoy the future WDW vacation years at the most desirable spot in the world.

When we first purchased DVC, they didn't have EE or E-nights at all, so those 'perks' were never a factor in our decision to purchase. In 8-years we've only done E-nights once, and never do EE (We like to sleep later), so it doesn't bother me at all if they eliminate them. On the other hand, for those that used them, I can understand somewhat your feelings.

I don't believe that Disney is cutting back because of security. It's because of money. Like it or not, business is down. We just got back form 2-months there and the crowds were low (weekdays), but still up for the weekends. I think many plans were changed after the Sept 11 tragedy, and mostly it was the Florida locals going to the parks. You could actually detect on the weekdays the crowds picking up after 4:00 pm when locals started showing up. If you think about it, all these people are probably using annual passes and so are generating little revenue to the parks. It's tough to justify keeping employees on overtime when ticket sales are down. The fact that Disney has even offered Florida a special 465 day annual pass special might indicate their need to increase revenue.

With 50,000 employees at WDW, I'm sure it's all about money. Those people who purchase single day or park hopper tickets are certainly losing with shorter park hours. In my opinion, when the crowds pick up, there's a good chance Disney will bring these 'perks' back. In fact, our last day at the parks (MGM, Oct 17th), was getting back to full crowds. I had heard that day that they were getting up to 14,000 - 15,000 guests a day (at MGM), which is getting back to their 'normal' counts for that time of year.

Yes, I agree, it's about saving money. But it's also probably a sound financial decision. And I'd rather have fewer perks now with a strong WDW in years to come, than have the extra hours now, only to get a run-down, poorly maintained park in the years to come.

All IMHO.

Umm... I think this is rather short sighted... Did you hear that they were also closing down an entire resort and that they've delayed the opening of a 5000 room resort? They are doing this quite frankly, because if they don't they'll lose a *lot* of money... I don't particularly think they enjoy this... Wasn't Pop Century like a 500 million dollar resort, or some other ridiculous amount of money? They are cutting every available area right now because they have to, not because they want to... The only place you won't see cutbacks are at the DVC resorts, because we pay for them...

Jay,

I vehemently want to state that we do NOT regret buying in to DVC. We have never used an EE or an E night and have always gone in off season with shorter hours.

My question to you is when was your last trip? We were there the first week of October. There were no crowds. We were glad we had a rental car since we had too much time on our hands. I just read a post on the parks board staing that person had all walk ons to the E rides. I do understand that weekends are more crowded with local.

Take a trip home and decide for yourself. I can't wait to go in February and I will not let whiners and doomsayers destroy my good time.

We never used e-nights and only went to EE morning once, so for us it really has no impact. I realize these were popular programs, and I'll bet they return when tourism improves. What can you do to help insure these programs will return, go to WDW and encourage as many people as you can to go to WDW.

Eeyore, I think you meant to say you vehemently do NOT regret buying in to the DVC! LOL

We've been in the DVC since they started and have only used EE once and E-Tick Nite once. We've never been happier being in the DVC. I'd venture to say that with a little flexibility, patience and a willingness to plan-as-you-go, one could see everything they want to in the World, without EE and ETN....even during busy season.

Now if you want to talk about valuable perks that they should bring back.....how about the free park admission? THAT was a perk we hated to lose.

We are fairly new members (2000) and have only used DVC once since we've purchased. We did take advantage of EE and thoroughly enjoyed having the park to ourselves. Yet, I do not regret purchasing at all. I understand that Disney has to do what it must to continuing making a profit. I also believe that in the future we will be seeing these perks reinstated. Yes, I will miss EE but it won't take the magic of being in WDW away.

We have used both EE and E-Ticket nights.

While I will miss these "perks", I am still very pleased with our purchase into DVC. I view DVC as pre-paid lodging. The perks, which can be given and taken away at any time, weren't the main reason we purchased DVC. We purchased to ensure we had 41 years of wonderful Florida vacations.

I believe Disney made these changes to help control expenses, which I would expect any normal business to do. I believe that these perks will return when the crowds return. These perks are one of the "selling" points for people staying on-site. Right now Disney doesn't need them, since travel is way down.

We just added on at VWL, we're that confident in Disney and DVC... In fact I just got off the phone with DVC, after doubling my original add-on.

Regarding EE, we usually tried to avoid the EE parks. They seemed to draw larger crowds, overall, and we're not morning people. I wonder what this is now going to due to the weekly crowd patterns in the parks. Time for a new game plan?

If the mind could only figure out what my fingers do!!!

Thanks all!!! Typo fixed.

If the worse thing going on in anyones life right now is the cancellation of E night and long lines at Disney, then you have an awful lot to be thankful for.

Lisa

Disney is still Disney to me. DVC is still one of my better choices in life. Regrets? Not here!

19 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 1 Secs

Caskbill : *Excellent* post! Well said.

Several things: First, we don't *know* that these cutbacks are permanent, and I would bet money that they are not. But we all, as DVC members, have to look at the BIG PICTURE here. The 'right now' is not nearly as important as the NEXT 40 YEARS... Disney World has to do what they have to do to get through this recession, that does not bother me in the slightest. I love e-ride night, although when we went there were an AWFUL LOT of obnoxious teens there, which took away from our enjoyment a little bit. As for EE, as someone else said, we make sure to avoid that park that day, as it remains packed for the entire day.

wdwfreak: What *really* bothers me is not these temporary cutbacks, but DVC members who have cancelled planned trips not out of fear or apprehension, which I would understand, but out of being p.o.'ed about the 'cutbacks' - if enough people did this, it would cause an extremely vicious cycle. Disney World is cutting back perks because of financial difficulties. If we all start cancelling and postponing our trips, it *adds* to the financial difficulties, which *may*, in fact, lead either to additional perks being discontinued, or to the taken away perks staying gone for longer than they would have.

Disney does not WANT to be making these cutbacks - they are not lining their pockets, as some seem to imply, they are trying to get through this crisis and *Survive* - Big companies can go under in times like this. Midway has already closed up shop, and many of the major airlines, mainstays in our society for decades, would have been in *serious* trouble without a bailout from the government.

We CARE about Disney World being around, and existing at the same level of quality as it always has, for *at least* another 40 years, that's why we bought into DVC. Looking at the big picture, what is going on this month is really irrelevant, compared to next year, five years from now, ten years from now.

Our family is going to continue to support Disney World and take *all* of our planned vacations (Yes Yes, we must all sacrifice for the greater good, no matter how unpleasant... ;) ), and maybe some additional ones, if we can work it out with our work schedules.

I appreciate the thread and it's a good thing to bring up for discussion, but I feel very strongly about this. Hope I didn't rant to much for you... :D

Take Care :bounce:

Well it looks like i'm the only one that has to agree with you. We bought in last November and honestly if it was this November we probably wouldn't have. I'm am feeling a little regret for purchasing at this point. Although, I have no idea what the real deal is down there because we haven't been since February 2000. Our first trip in DVC is in 3 weeks.

Right now, I'm a little pessimistic about the fact that we bought in. Maybe my mind will change after we have our first visit. So I'm not going to totally rule out the fact that we made a great decision. I'll let you know in 4 1/2 weeks after we return.

Hopefully my decision was a positive one. :D

When we bought, we got FREE passes to the parks for the length of our stay.

Now, THAT'S the only thing I regret not having anymore!!!! :)

I have to say I am not really upset about losing EE or E nights. Though I would have liked to still have the option for EE. I havent used EE with my children yet as they are young and truthfully I like a more relaxed vacation these days ( am I getting old?)

I am an optimist though EE will be back!

R

Since we haven't been to WDW since most of the changes were implemented, we have no basis for saying whether the changes are unreasonable. I'm certainly not going to get upset over what some others are reporting.......I'm inclined to think most of the changes so far will have no impact on our enjoyment of WDW. We may have to change a few things, but selling DVC is not an option at this point.....if you really want to hurt them, we'll buy your points for $50 each!! Seriously, wait till you actually see how much you are affected before going off the deep end. Life's too short to get disturbed by what others say.:smooth:

We've been to DW since the changes. This past weekend in fact. Went Sunday & Monday nite. Went to the MNSSHP on Sunday, it had a decent crowd. The bus was full on the way back to the resort, it was about 11 PM. On Monday, we went to Epcot. The main change there was the closing of Future World early. No big deal. When we left EPCOT, at about 8 PM, the bus was packed, standing room only, and people left at the bus stop waiting for the next bus. Now for the optimistic part. We purchase a DVC on Monday, our first DVC. :bounce:
We are not planning to be around for the full 40 years, we are senior citizens. But, we go 3-4 times a year and feel that it's still a good deal. In the many years we've gone, since 1973, we have never done an early opening, nor an EE.
We completely understand about the cutbacks. It's better than closing the park completely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter