Is anyone else. Oncerned about the WDW restaurants?

TCARON

Mouseketeer
since becoming DVC members in 2001 we have been able to get the World on a regular basis. But lately at lot of our go to restaurants have come off our list of regular reservations:

Yatchsman Steakhouse
Flying Fish
Jiko
Kona Cafe
Narcoossee's
Le Cellier - best beef on property but $54.00 for the filet!

We still really enjoy Il Mulino, Via Napoli, California Grill, Prime Time and others but continue to be disappointed with the above listed locations, especially for the price even with TIW.

Anyone feel the same way?

Thanks!

Tom C

No. I hate Prime Time (gross food, sorry). Was not impressed with the filet at Le Cellier at all both times we went, they need to learn how to properly salt their meat. I do like the soup and pretzel bread though... I'm also not in love with Via Napoli. It's ok, but not on my favorites list.

Narcoossee's has been on my favorites list for years and it remains. I am so bummed they stopped the brunch! We went every trip! And I have enjoyed every meal I've had there for dinner. Heading back in June. Another favorite of ours is Yachtsman. We love everything from the appetizers, porterhouse for 2 and desserts... Yum. MUCH better than Le Cellier. Be back there in June as well. Haven't had Flying Fish since the refurb, but having dinner there in June as well.

I will agree with you on Il Mulino and California Grill. And Kona is ok, but it has never been in the same category in my opinion as the others.

Do you just resent the price? I would much rather pay for good to great food than eat greasy chicken to save $.

I agree the prices are getting quite inflated. Luckily, I don't have a large family to feed. I also have written Flying Fish and Jiko off my list based upon my most recent previous visits. Le Cellier I gave up on a long time ago. Kona I still enjoy but prefer the old menu. Also, I like GF Cafe, Olivia's and The Wave. The new Ale & Compass menu doesn't interest me.

Also, with all the stop and search for park entry, my wife and I do not leave the parks as much for dining at the resorts. She gets real tired of guards rummaging through her small shoulder bag. As far as park restaurants, we have been going to BOG and Skipper's in MK, Brown Derby in The Studios, Tiffin's and Yak & Yeti at AK, and La Hacienda, San Angel, Tutto Italia, and Chefs at EPCOT. Not as high-line as some of the resort stops but enjoyable and less of a hassle to get to.

I think this question is best asked on the main Restaurant Forum nothere onthe Dining review forum

I now enter the bubble knowing what to find to a certain degree and adjust my expectations accordingly.
Several restaurants on your likes and dislikes meet my criteria or were never a place I'd consider so our tastes differ in that sense.
It's nice that there are so many choices to consider @ WDW :).

since becoming DVC members in 2001 we have been able to get the World on a regular basis. But lately at lot of our go to restaurants have come off our list of regular reservations:

Yatchsman Steakhouse
Flying Fish
Jiko
Kona Cafe
Narcoossee's

We still really enjoy Il Mulino, Via Napoli, California Grill, Prime Time and others but continue to be disappointed with the above listed locations, especially for the price even with TIW.

Thanks!

Tom C

YUP! Le Cellier used to be a favorite but the last few times have left us disappointed. I agree the bread and soup is pretty great but I don’t go to a steak restaurant for that! We also used to love San Angel Inn but the menu refresh was a major disappointment. We haven’t been back there since. (I also haven’t gotten over the menu change at Pecos Bill either, I miss the burger bar)

Our last trip was probably our best stretch of dining experiences. We had an AWESOME brunch at California Grill (lobster omelet!!!) We also really enjoyed Sanaa. We had an early dinner reservation but must’ve timed it right because all the animals were out and about! Definitely adding both to our regular rotation!

I think all restaurants have Disney have their moments when they're at their peak then they go downhill until people complain and something gets done. Not sure if it's just laziness or new chefs or just wanting to try something new. But I do think prices are vastly inflated from what you would pay in the real world. But I still enjoy the signature restaurants and just suck up the inflated prices.

When you go to Disney you just have to remember that your entering an alternate universe where all food costs about twice what it should. And even with that being said in 4 previous trips only 1 restaurant has made my never again list and that Hollywood & Vine and only 2 have made the 2 strikes list Tony's and Le Cellier. Even when reading reviews I have to look at them with a somewhat jaded eye. I say this because I am from the mid-west and really would not know great seafood if it came up and smacked me in the face. But being from Kansas City I pretty much look at what people call barbeque down there and shudder.

We have really scaled back on dining on Disney property. While I really enjoy eating at many of the restaurants on property it is increasingly hard to justify the prices.
When we had more expendable income we would dine much more frequently at WDW. For instance a meal at Whispering Canyon could run us, 2 adults, nearly $75 for dinner (AYCE skillet dinner and drinks). Instead of eating there, we could eat at our local steakhouse for about half that, and still have a stellar meal.

Plus many more examples, instead of eating at Epcot, we can eat Mexican food at Chuy's which is right around the corner from WDW, we always get a good meal there, Kobe is also close by if we want Japanese food. Heck, we can eat at Universal for less as well.

When you go to Disney you just have to remember that your entering an alternate universe where all food costs about twice what it should. And even with that being said in 4 previous trips only 1 restaurant has made my never again list and that Hollywood & Vine and only 2 have made the 2 strikes list Tony's and Le Cellier. Even when reading reviews I have to look at them with a somewhat jaded eye. I say this because I am from the mid-west and really would not know great seafood if it came up and smacked me in the face. But being from Kansas City I pretty much look at what people call barbeque down there and shudder.

Oh my gosh, you are so right! I have to prime my DH so he does not faint the first time he looks at a menu. He just cannot get past the cost, even if we tell him it is paid for, which is one reason the DDP works for us. LOL! Anyway, we are from CT and so fresh seafood is always nearby. I cringe at Cape May cafe buffet style seafood. I know folks like it, but it is just not the same as freshly cooked ala minute.

BBQ? If it has sauce on it and some liquid smoke, I figure it's BBQ! LOL!!! I know....heresy!

IMO opinion none of the usual "must do's" dining live up to the hype. I have been less than impressed with my experiences with the exception of the dining options at disney springs.

I'm not sure what your concern is. You say you have taken some off your list but you don't say why. But no, I'm not concerned. I go at least twice a year, lately 3 times, my son goes once a year. We have been going for over 30 years. We like to try new places to eat so try not eat at the same place twice, at least we try not to every trip. There are some we would eat at often but don't any more but that's not saying we won't try them again some time in the future. We don't worry about having to eat at the "must do" place. We just check MDE when we are close to ready to eat and find something available. If that happens to be a "must do" place we will eat there but don't hang out on MDE at whatever many days in advance to get something. As far as prices, we live in a college town and other than fast food chain places, the prices for sit down restaurants are pretty much equal to Disney.

Oh my gosh, you are so right! I have to prime my DH so he does not faint the first time he looks at a menu. He just cannot get past the cost, even if we tell him it is paid for, which is one reason the DDP works for us. LOL! Anyway, we are from CT and so fresh seafood is always nearby. I cringe at Cape May cafe buffet style seafood. I know folks like it, but it is just not the same as freshly cooked ala minute.

BBQ? If it has sauce on it and some liquid smoke, I figure it's BBQ! LOL!!! I know....heresy!
I love seafood so when I read a review of someone with access to it all the time I do read those a bit closer.

I love seafood so when I read a review of someone with access to it all the time I do read those a bit closer.

I do as well.I won't say that we did not enjoy the buffet, however we did choose not to go back. It was okay, and teh food was good, but nothing compares to a freshly cooked piece of fish.

Nope. I still enjoy my meals at WDW. To the extent that I have a hard time not over-scheduling.

For me Jiko was my favorite but the quality of food and service has gone downhill and it’s no longer worth the money. Can’t say enough good things about California Grill.

Yatchsman Steakhouse
Flying Fish
Jiko
Kona Cafe
Narcoossee's

Thanks!

Tom C
I'm very sorry you feel that way. I would try Flying Fish and Yachtsman again. Right now, do stay away from Jiko, Ohana, and anything coming out of Grand FL. Please do try Mr. Paul's in France and Paddlefish in Downtown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter