Is anybody into Geocaching?

TigerTown

Disney Running TK
We just started doing this over the weekend and had a blast. We found eight cache's and explored some new areas close to us that we had never even seen before.

We found a cache in the bushes of the ice cream shop we always visit and when we opened it there was a gift certificate for ice cream. What a nice surprise!:thumbsup2

Anyway...I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so do you have any tips???

http://www.geocaching.com/

We just started doing this over the weekend and had a blast. We found eight cache's and explored some new areas close to us that we had never even seen before.

We found a cache in the bushes of the ice cream shop we always visit and when we opened it there was a gift certificate for ice cream. What a nice surprise!:thumbsup2

Anyway...I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so do you have any tips???

http://www.geocaching.com/

LOVE TO GEOCACHE!!! Took my Brother out this weekend. He has never been, may have given him something else to be obsessed about! lol. I have one on my property at my house. Has a sweet geocoin in it as we speak! There are 40 within a mile radius of my house. and Ive found 15 of them!. I use "Geocache Navigator" by Trimble on my Blackberry Storm2 works great! Happy Caching!!

LOVE TO GEOCACHE!!! Took my Brother out this weekend. He has never been, may have given him something else to be obsessed about! lol. I have one on my property at my house. Has a sweet geocoin in it as we speak! There are 40 within a mile radius of my house. and Ive found 15 of them!. I use "Geocache Navigator" by Trimble on my Blackberry Storm2 works great! Happy Caching!!

The local Michigan chapter (MiGO) is having a Metro-Park Geo-caching Adventure all summer. There are eleven metro parks in Southeast Michigan and each park has a cache hidden in it. If you find all eleven over the course of the summer your team gets a cool looking Geocoin. I think we are go to work on this over the weekends. It will be a nice way to picnic and check out all of the parks in our area.

MGA%20PathTags.jpg

The local Michigan chapter (MiGO) is having a Metro-Park Geo-caching Adventure all summer. There are eleven metro parks in Southeast Michigan and each park has a cache hidden in it. If you find all eleven over the course of the summer your team gets a cool looking Geocoin. I think we are go to work on this over the weekends. It will be a nice way to picnic and check out all of the parks in our area.

MGA%20PathTags.jpg

nice friend! Thats awesome.

We've been caching since Nov 2008. Have 95 finds logged, have our own box out there as well as a few trackers. It's a great way to get outside and see places that we normally wouldn't find. Didn't get much caching in during the past few months due to cub scouts and the summer heat is just around the corner.

Sorry for sounding dumb, but this is the first I have ever heard of Geocaching. It sounds interesting though and am now intrigued. Tell me more!

Sorry for sounding dumb, but this is the first I have ever heard of Geocaching. It sounds interesting though and am now intrigued. Tell me more!

Geocaching is a toned down version of treasure hunting. People hide containers holding a tracking log and other trinkets all over the country. The object is to use your GPS device (I use an app on my iPhone) to log the coordinates of the cache and then find where it is hidden. Once you find it, you sign the log book inside and then log your find online at the Geocahing website. We have twenty caches within a three mile radius of our house. There are actually a few hidden at Disney as well.

You can find more info at the link in my first post.:wizard:

Geocaching is a toned down version of treasure hunting. People hide containers holding a tracking log and other trinkets all over the country. The object is to use your GPS device (I use an app on my iPhone) to log the coordinates of the cache and then find where it is hidden. Once you find it, you sign the log book inside and then log your find online at the Geocahing website. We have twenty caches within a three mile radius of our house. There are actually a few hidden at Disney as well.

You can find more info at the link in my first post.:wizard:

Thank you Kyle :thumbsup2

Thank you Kyle :thumbsup2

There are 3-4 on Disney Property and several off property if you have a vehicle to get to them. These caches are called "Virtual Caches". It is a type of geocache that is a location rather then a hidden treasure. You take a picture and/or a description and email the "owner" (submitter of the cache) and if you are in the correct location then you "earn" your smiley. The smiley is what you get for each find. We have earned 55 smileys so far! This is a great way to get out and discover areas of your neighborhood that you might normally not see, and a great way to get some sort of excercise. Instead of :surfweb: all day.

This is a great way to get out and discover areas of your neighborhood that you might normally not see, and a great way to get some sort of excercise. Instead of :surfweb: all day.

For us this is the key point. It's fun to explore rather than sit on a couch or in front of a computer all day...

So what tools do you use for caching?

We use the geocaching app on Iphone. It works great and really simplifies the process. At any point in time I can pull up the app and it will show me the nearest caches. We also use are our Garmin Car GPS. It can convert to show GPS co-ordinates and that can be helpful when my iphone flips out and my location starts to jump around

So what tools do you use for caching?

We use the geocaching app on Iphone. It works great and really simplifies the process. At any point in time I can pull up the app and it will show me the nearest caches. We also use are our Garmin Car GPS. It can convert to show GPS co-ordinates and that can be helpful when my iphone flips out and my location starts to jump around

We have been using the iPhone app as well it really works well. We did have a glitch this past weekend when we got to the Metro park. For some reason the app said it could not contact the Geocaching server. After I logged out of the app and logged back in it worked fine. It was a bit frustrating as I didn't find this quick fix until we got home.

We do in the UK.

We tell our little boy (nearly 3) that we are going treasure hunting. It's cheap (I did buy the iphone app - absolute God-send), and gets us out and about as a family.

We do it, my girls love it. I use the iPhone app. only problem is it's a battery hog due to the GPS functions.

We have had a really bad run lately. We tried to find a few while in Florida last week but couldn't find any. It was really frustrating.

Going on the Disney cruise "Dream" Oct 23rd, puts me on Castaway on the 25th, I'll be going after GCRFBJ "King Billys" Disney Cruise Castaway Cay Cache anyone else going caching on this cruise? :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter