Is any resort better suited for a 5 yr old?

88raymond

Earning My Ears
I am planning our first trip to WDW this summer for me, my wife, our five year old son and our infant (he'll be 5 months old at trip time). We are planning for three nights and will "go with the flow" and not try to do too much, especially in Florida's summer heat and humidity. It seems to make sense to stay at one of the resorts near MK for the convenience (perhaps someone could enlighten me if this is incorrect). Does any resort that stand out as a better place for us?

I'd also like to know if it is better to book the resort and package (Resort Magic?) ahead of time or just book the hotel for now.

99% of the time, you can get the best deal by getting things individually. This does take a little work on your part, but the pay off can be huge.

I think that a hotel on the monorail loop would be best for such a short trip with little kids. I'm guessing you'll spend most of your time at MK and either skip or just breeze through the other parks, so this will make it so easy to get back to your hotel for a rest.

Any of the three hotels is great. CR may lack a little atmosphere (although I love that resort), but it is made up easily by the fact that you can actually walk to the MK.

My 6 year old daughter loved the pool at Port Orleans, (the dragon tongue water slide was her biggest thrill), but we didn't stay there. Instead, we bought timeshare points from a disney vacation club member, stayed at OKW resort and had a blast pool hopping. We got a great room, saved money by buying the points and then our tickets and did a five night trip for less than a three night would have cost going the resort/ticket package way.
If pools are your thing, Carribean Beach has several good ones as well, and the location is just outside of EPOCT. I don't really know if paying for a monorail loop resort is really worth it since buslines run pretty frequently and the moderate resorts tend to lend themselves to kids a little more. But if you want to save cash and have the best of both worlds, look into renting some vacation club points from the members on the board here.

If you are going to spend most of your time at MK then I would agree that one of the monorail hotels is probably the best. I, too, think Contemporary lacks some of the Disney theming "luster" but it is a nice hotel. I would probably go with the Polynesian, personally, because I like the tropical theme and I hear the rennovated pool is pretty nice. Tikiman has a site that has tons of pictures that might help you in your decision.

If you can't quite afford the monorail hotel then we prefer the PO-FQ. It is the smallest of the moderate resorts. Has a great pool for kids. And all the buildings are close to the food court, bus stop and main building. Rooms are smaller than the deluxe monorail resorts but we really like the food court concept for the family. Fits well.

IMHO, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the monorail resort. Both of the Port Orleans have really cool themed kid's pools, and are cheaper. I agree that the bus service was pretty quick to/from the parks. At Port Orleans, you also have the option of the boat to Downtown Disney. It's a comfortable ride that keeps you off your feet.

Just my opinion.

My dd is 5 and in her short lifetime :) has already stayed at CBR, PO-FQ, All Star Movies and the Dolphin. All have worked out quite well, for the Movies and Dolphin trips her younger brother (almost 3) was also along.

The advantage of PO-FQ is its manageable size. Are the boats to Downtown Disney running again? And is the food court still open? I know there have been some changes.

The advantage of Movies was the cost only. It is well themed, and has an ok food court.

The Dolphin has easy access to Epcot and MGM, and yes my DD does enjoy both those parks. Swan & Dolphin share a great pool area.

But as iluvdamouse suggests, my dream for our next extended stay is to rent some DVC points and stay at BWV or BCV. Hey, I can dream, can't I? ;)

I think the boats are running now from PO to DTD. If they aren't they will be soon. As of May 31, as I understand it, PO FQ will be open entirely except for the sit down restaurant which they closed a long time before they shut down completely. You still have to walk to Riverside to go to a sit down. The food court has been rehabbed but no one is sure what that means. But, it is still going to be there and open. We are awaiting posts on another thread from someone who will be there on May 31st and is going to report back.

So, as of May 31, I'm pretty sure things will be back to normal at POFQ. I'm not sure about the music in the lounge yet but I am assuming it will come back too since they are expecting high numbers this summer.

We stayed at the Polynesian and it was worth every extra penny to be on the monorail line. Our DS' are age 5, and 17 mos, and it was wonderful. We visited every park, although we spent most time at MK. TTC is a short walk away from the Great Ceremonial building, and therefore very close to the Epcot monorail and all the other busses. Plus, there is a hotel busline that will take you to any of the parks from the lobby of the Polynesian.

When my boys get ready for naps, they are ready fast! We could leave MK and be back at our hotel in just a few minutes.

Although the Poly is probably considered a more adult hotel, our kids loved the volcano pool, which had a sloped entry. They also had a fountain play area that my 17 month old really enjoyed. Characters visited on Tues and Thurs AMs.

As you can tell, I'm a TOTAL Poly girl now! Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts. They were all a great help. Looks like we'll be making a ressie for the Poly in August.

Thought I would add my .02 worth. Have you considered the Fort Wilderness cabins? They have a full kitchen which is great to have with little ones, you actually have more than one room so you can put them down for naps or bed and not have to sit in the dark. We have stayed there several times and really enjoyed the peace and quiet after the parks. I have been able to get a cabin and a golf cart for about the price of a standard room at the Poly (either one for around 200 149cabin 35 for cart). There is a boat from FW to MK, with stops at the Cont. and the Poly. The one restaurant has a great Breakfast buffet (least expensive one also). After having stayed here and at the Poly we felt like FW was a better value and only slightly less convenient.

Angela

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter