Is AKL worth $250 more?

marymouse

Mouseketeer
I waited too late to make our ressies and with the info about POFQ closing, the only moderate availability was CBR. I just don't get warm and fuzzy about it. We have stayed there before and hadn't ever planned to go back.
Is it worth $250 more to stay at AKL?
Convince me.

Mary

AKL is a fantastic resort. I finally got DH to try al the resorts and on our last trip we stayed at the AKL and now plan to g back every trip. It is truely amazing to see all those animals outside your balcony every day and night. But the resor itself is amazing as well. Through out the hallways there are huge windows to view the animals and there are a lot of outside places to view them as well. The lobby is great and breath taking when you first arrive. The wonderful smell of Boma is coming from downstairs. The pool is great. Ever thing is great!!!! I LOVE THE AKL!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Mary,

Obviously a personal financial decision. How long do you plan to stay? Is this be $250 total for your trip or per night?

I have never stayed at CBR but I have stayed 3 times at AKL.

If you decide you can afford it......you will love AKL! Our last trip we stayed in room #3215..I think it was the Arusha Trail and had a wonderful view of the animals.

The food selections are varied, the pool was very relaxing, and the transportation was great!

Deciding on Disney Accomodations is always a GREAT problem to have!

;) Good Luck!

I am in the same situation for a short July trip. No codes out, and may not be for 4th of July weekend. Trying to decide between AKL and the Dolphin. All reports I have gotten is that people who stay at the AKL are nuts about it! I just wish the location was a little better. We last stayed at OKW, and felt too removed from the action. Maybe the animals provide enough of this action, we're not much into relaxing!

Hi Samsma,

I know what you mean about being "Out of the Action". This is sometimes my sentiment regarding AKL or OKW. We rotate choices of Disney lodgings and I usually choose the Polynesian because of the "Disneyish Feel" ...not a word! lol

With that being said....I still love AKL and the animals and the decor. We have been really lucky with transportation to all parks from there as well. Very quick during our three trips. This may not be true....but it seems that they have more buses that are not shared with other resorts and go directly to the parks.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

;)

Mary, I had same feelings you did. Had reserved CBR and Silver upgrade. Figured if I did the Silver, had to have cheaper resort but just wasn't excited with CBR at all. I was settling.

Well, made the decision that I was more interested in an exciting resort experience than taking the silver plan. And with just myself and daughter, don't think we'd get our moneys worth out of the package.

So last Friday had DU change me from CBR to AKL pool view. To me, vacation is a pool (from Colorado). The animals we'll view from observation areas. Now I'm excited!

I wanted to hurry and get ressies in because there's only 108 Pool View rooms and when we're going, it's the tail end of Jersey week, super soaps and vets weekend. Next day, learned of POFQ and part of Riverside closing down. So like last year, there will be 2,000 fewer rooms and if those folks are getting upgrade, a lot will go to WL and AKL. I am SOOOO glad and made the change when I did.

Transportation is the only drawback but at least there are no stops for their busses. When we were at BWI, the bus had total of 4 stops. When we were at WL, it shared with Ft. Wilderness which was a looong way out. Even Poly, Cont. and GF share buses for some routes. So I think the AKL won't be that bad. :Pinkbounc

You might want to go ahead and get your ressie in quickly.

Sharon

Thanks for all the responses. We are just going to be there for five nights. I have to decide (convince hubby) what to do. We have never stayed delux mainly feeling we could never go back to moderate. I am seriously considering AS instead of CBR. I know people love it but it just isn't our style.

I just have to make a decision.

How about this???....Start at AS for two nights and then move to the grand finale.. AKL for the last three nights.This way you will save some money and get to experience AKL.You will love the AKL as it is such an unique experience.True, you will not want to go back to moderates,not because of staying deluxe,but, because you will definately enjoy the AKL ;) .Honestly, our next trip we are planning to stay 3 nights at CSR and 3 nights AKL,see you can go back to moderates. :p So,talk to hubby ,get on the phone and get your AKL ressies YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

My husband is not the biggest Disney fan but he puts up with my "plans" like a trooper. We have stayed at most of the deluxe hotels on property and AKL is one of my favorites and is my husbands FAVORITE hotel. This place will truly make your husband happy, I think. I know it is expensive so I agree that it would be cool to stay a few nights at the AS then transfer. (once you do..you will never want to stay at the AS again though). The AKL is romantic, beautiful, unique and has the best service on property. I found the transportation to be fine and we paid to valet park so we drove to most places on o ur own. The pool is great, the spa is wonderful and the restaurants are fantastic. I would definately splurge for a savannah room because this is the best part of the hotel. The animals are breathtaking. The staff are fun and informative. Some of my best memories are:

Waking up and sitting on the balcony watching the giraffes run and then seeing the wildebeasts (sp?) chasing each other around like a bunch of little kids playing tag, and hugging my kids as they watched with amazement.

Sitting by the fire in those great big rocking chairs and listening to a man tell stories about Africa when he was a child..then watching my kids make animal necklaces with a castmember from South Africa.

Having a romantic drink with my husband in the lounge and then going to Jikos for dinner.

My massage and hot tub afternoon at the spa!

Gosh, writing this has gotten me thinking about going AGAIN. Gotta call my husband and tell him to standby! Do it, you will LOVE every moment.

Honestly, this is a guy kind of resort. We were the lucky recipients of an upgrade last year when CBR was closed, and Disney did well by giving us that upgrade, we will never stay below Deluxe again. This resort was amazing beyond belief. And my fiancee is very non-Disneyesque and he fell in love. The animals, the smells, the music, the little architectural details all come together to make this resort magical. I would pay $250 more for this resort.

My DH loved AKL too!! DD and I did too but we love them all!!! AKL has fantastic bus transportation. We never waited long for a bus and when we boarded it was so nice that it went right back to AKL and not have to make other stops. IMHO the bus rides to AK, MGM, & Epcot were not very long. MK is the longest ride but its the same ride as the MK resorts have to AK.

I'm assuming the $250.00 is for a savannah view. How much is the pool view? We were upgraded to a pool view here in Feb. and it was awesome!!! We were on the fourth floor with a gorgeous view of the whole pool area. We could hear that wonderful music as we sat on our balcony at night. We still viewed lots of animals by going around to all the observation areas. To see all the animals you really have to do that even if you do have a savannah room. It seemed not all the animals were ever on the same savannah together. Quite a few times one savannah seemed to be holding most of the animals.

I think you'll all enjoy AKL very much!

Hollymom1229

We'll be there the same time. We will be there the 3rd to the 7th. Are you staying at AKL again..if so maybe we'll see ya there.
Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter