Is a DVC resort worth the price?

afgoplen

Earning My Ears
I am traveling with a group of 6 in January (Mom, Dad, Grandma, and 3 kids). We have stayed in an Art of Animation family suite in the past and enjoyed it. I have been eyeing up options with more space and more amenities. I am debating about AKL DVC 2 bedrooms but the cost gives me pause. The difference in the cost of AoA vs AK 2brdm is close to $500 per night!!

If AK is the way to go, then Kidani vs Jambo?
If AoA is the way to go, then Nemo vs Cars?

Thanks!

I can’t help with the basic decision of AKL vs. AoA, but I can tell you that the Kidani 2BR will have 3 full bathrooms, and the en-suite bathroom in the main bedroom has both a tub and a walk-in shower. The Jambo 2BR only has 2 full bathrooms, and the bathroom for the main bedroom is not an en-suite — it’s across a hallway, and anyone crossing from that BR to the bathroom is clearly visible from the living room. Also, that bathroom has a tub-shower combination with a very high, very wide rim that makes it difficult for even an adult to get in and out. So if you choose AKL, choose Kidani!

Does the idea of a kitchen and/or washer dryer appeal to you?
Will you utilize having either one in your room?
If yes, go the 2BR DVC route
If no, skip it

Also, are you pricing cash from Disney for the DVC room or researching renting points.
If not renting points, do that. It may well be less

Oh, Kidani vs. Jambo
Kidani gets the nod for me due to the fact that it was built as DVC vs converted from resort to DVC. The rooms are better configuration. Those converted rooms are odd ducks.
Many like the Kidani pool better, though I have no personally used it
The 2 resorts are close and you can use both. You can walk or bus/shuttle between them so if you want you can dine at Mara or use the pool/activities at Jambo easily.

I'm a DVC owner, so clearly I decided that when I bought in, the value proposition worked.

That said, it's not just the purchase price that you need to count, but:
  1. There is a maintenance fee, which seems to go up
  2. The purchasing power of a "point" is not static--in fact it tends to go down.

Does the idea of a kitchen and/or washer dryer appeal to you?
Will you utilize having either one in your room?
If yes, go the 2BR DVC route
If no, skip it

Also, are you pricing cash from Disney for the DVC room or researching renting points.
If not renting points, do that. It may well be less

Oh, Kidani vs. Jambo
Kidani gets the nod for me due to the fact that it was built as DVC vs converted from resort to DVC. The rooms are better configuration. Those converted rooms are odd ducks.
Many like the Kidani pool better, though I have no personally used it
The 2 resorts are close and you can use both. You can walk or bus/shuttle between them so if you want you can dine at Mara or use the pool/activities at Jambo easily.
I 100% will absolutely use the kitchen (#budget) and probably will also use the washer for sweaty running clothes.
I appreciate the comparison of Kidani vs Jambo. I knew Jambo was not originally DVC, but didn't know about the bathroom situation.
Thanks!

I'm a DVC owner, so clearly I decided that when I bought in, the value proposition worked.

That said, it's not just the purchase price that you need to count, but:
  1. There is a maintenance fee, which seems to go up
  2. The purchasing power of a "point" is not static--in fact it tends to go down.
Ahh, sorry I wasn't clear. I am not yet ready to take the plunge and become an owner -- I am considering renting points (here vs David's DVC rentals).

I 100% will absolutely use the kitchen (#budget) and probably will also use the washer for sweaty running clothes.
I appreciate the comparison of Kidani vs Jambo. I knew Jambo was not originally DVC, but didn't know about the bathroom situation.
Thanks!
Then sounds like you will probably make up the cost difference in food savings. If you don’t with point rental

Also, the 2br villa kitchens are pretty fully supplied with pots and pans, baking sheets and dishes--the essentials for fixing comfort foods. There'll even be wine glasses and a corkscrew.

If you book a villa and can bring your own kitchen knives and cutting board(s), I really recommend that. The Disney knives are cheapo.

You can generally request an electric teakettle from housekeeping if picky like me, hating to run water for tea through the coffee maker, although you can simply boil water in a saucepan, of course.

We aren't fond of Joffrey's coffee so bring our own with basket filters. Also a good idea, IMO.

For DVC:

Are you comfortable with a "no changes, no cancellations, no refunds" policy?

Would everyone be comfortable with the villa's bedding situation? (Everybody in your group would not get their own real bed in a DVC villa; when a villa "sleeps" a number of people that includes various types of pull-out or pull-down beds and people sharing.)

I haven't checked availability; keep in mind that what you see on disneyworld.com for cash reservations is not the same availability as for point reservations.

We love the 2-bedroom villas. We absolutely love the full kitchen and washer/dryer. IMHO, the villas and AoA suites aren't really comparable - you will get 3 rooms in the villa (2 bedrooms and living room), plus the beds and furnishings are of a much better quality, IMHO. I found AoA to be very loud.

Jambo House is splendid- my kids gasped when they saw the lobby, and it’s still one of our favorite places on property. The food is incredible if you want a date night, and the animals are hours of entertainment. If you are set in your plans and rent points the price difference should be less. Kidani is very nice, too, and we liked the room configuration, but it doesn’t have the impact that Jambo does for us. We also preferred the Jambo pool, although I felt judged by the flamingos.

Ahh, sorry I wasn't clear. I am not yet ready to take the plunge and become an owner -- I am considering renting points (here vs David's DVC rentals).
We have stayed in an AOA suite and in 2-bedroom villas at both Jambo House and Kidani Village.

We're biased towards Jambo House as we consider Animal Kingdom Lodge to be the best hotel at WDW (and we have stayed at them all):
  • Great theming,
  • Great lobby,
  • Great pool,
  • Good food court,
  • Good store,
  • WDW's best buffet (Boma),
  • Giraffes!
A 2-bedroom villa gets you 3 physical rooms, including a small kitchen and washer & dryer. It's significantly larger than the AOA suite.

Whether it's worth the extra cost depends on how you vacation. If you plan to spend most of the time away from the hotel, then I suggest going with AOA.

However, if you plan to spend a lot of time at the hotel (e.g. afternoon swims), then Jambo House really is something special.

I'd stay in a 2BR at Kidani. The extra full bathroom, kitchen and laundry will make a big difference. If you want to go to Jambo for the pool/lobby/food it's a quick shuttle or a walk.

I love Jambo house for a long list of reasons. kidani however has a better pool slide and a great kids splash area and…. The 2br… let’s just say the master bath is something to behold.

If you are also considering non-Disney accommodations, there are many rental homes in the Orlando area that provide more bedrooms and space for less money. Might check those out to compare prices/amenities/features.

Whether you stay at Jambo or Kidani you will still have access to both pools, all the restaurants, and all the animal viewing areas. I haven't seen if your room rental included a savanna view. If so, your kids are likely going to love that completely unique aspect of a Disney resort stay. Our kids absolutely loved waking up to the animals.

$500 per night is a big difference. You can easily do breakfast and lunch in the AofA mini kitchen so the only real difference would be dinner and the washer/dryer. For us we are always at the parks at dinner time and we are not at the resort enough to justify that much of a cost difference. Yes, AKL is nice but I guess it comes down to how much time you will spend at the resort to justify the cost difference.

The difference in the cost of AoA vs AK 2brdm is close to $500 per night!!
If you’re looking to rent points- & people are renting points @$20pp- for a standard view, 2-bed @ AKL in January … it would cost you $620/night (with weekends @$740/night). I think the difference is much smaller than you realize. You may even find someone renting their points for less.

But at the end of the day, only you know how valuable it will be to have a full kitchen, living room, & w/d in your room (all things which I love!!). I will be at Jambo House with my family next January… so, clearly I think it’s a great idea! 🤩 However, AoA is somewhere that I’ve never stayed, and it is the ONLY Disney resort that tempts me to pay cash. The theming is just fun & having the Skyliner connected is awesome!!

Best of luck with your decision!

I would absolutely rent points. The villas are incredible. DVC rental store has a cancellation policy that is more flexible, so long as you cancel within a certain window. You will get a credit for a future rental. DVC rental store is a sponsor for the DIS DVC show so they are a Pete approved company! I have experience with renting from owners here on the Dis and have had a great experience as well, but they are typically non-refundable and the date must be firm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter