Is a 3-resort split stay too exhausting?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
So, I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a December 2018 trip (solo, 8-9 nights). I've been thinking more and more about a split stay as it could save money while being closer to certain locations. I will most likely be doing a 2-resort split, but brainstormed an idea of 3-resorts, which could save even more money. But are 3 resorts too exhausting? It would be just me so no kids or other people to have to worry about. I would be relying on Disney transport and baggage transfer services.

Option 1:
AKL:1-2 nights
WL: 6-7 nights

Option 2:
AKL: 1-2 nights
BWI: 4 nights
WL: 3 nights

What are people's thoughts? With Option 2, I think it would be more convenient, scheduling my Epcot and DHS days when staying at BWI, AK when staying at AKL, and MK when at WL.

Since you are going Solo I think it would be doable. I would not stay at AKL without having time to enjoy the resort so much to do & see.

Since you are going Solo I think it would be doable. I would not stay at AKL without having time to enjoy the resort so much to do & see.
I am doing a 4-night stay in March, so would hope to see some then! But yeah, if I can accomplish what I'm planning, I think it'll save more money that I can justify a second night at AKL!

I Like split stays and I think option 2 is doable. Just keep in mind on your switch days you're essentially homeless. If you're planning to be in the park all day this isn't really a big deal. For AKL, I would definitely do at least 2. With only one day you don't really get the feel of the hotel.

I Like split stays and I think option 2 is doable. Just keep in mind on your switch days you're essentially homeless. If you're planning to be in the park all day this isn't really a big deal. For AKL, I would definitely do at least 2. With only one day you don't really get the feel of the hotel.
Yeah, my thoughts are to be at parks during day and then heading to the resort mid-afternoon once the room is ready to get the luggage delivered, then head back out for evening activities.
Ok, you guys helped convince me!

Heck yes! As a solo traveler, I would the 3 resorts. They are awesome resorts and I think you will really enjoy them! I agree with PP, do at least 2 nights at AKL.

So, I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a December 2018 trip (solo, 8-9 nights). I've been thinking more and more about a split stay as it could save money while being closer to certain locations. I will most likely be doing a 2-resort split, but brainstormed an idea of 3-resorts, which could save even more money. But are 3 resorts too exhausting? It would be just me so no kids or other people to have to worry about. I would be relying on Disney transport and baggage transfer services.

Option 1:
AKL:1-2 nights
WL: 6-7 nights

Option 2:
AKL: 1-2 nights
BWI: 4 nights
WL: 3 nights

What are people's thoughts? With Option 2, I think it would be more convenient, scheduling my Epcot and DHS days when staying at BWI, AK when staying at AKL, and MK when at WL.
I like option 2. I did a solo split stay, Poly 2 nights and YC 4 nights. Moving to WL for 3 additional nights would have been great! I like that you're hitting different areas of WDW. Sounds like a great trip.

We just returned from a 10 night stay. We split our stay between Pop/AoA/Coronado. It was a breeze. We just called bell services, headed to the park and went to the new resort after we had our fill for the day. It's a great way to check out multiple resorts.

Yeah, my thoughts are to be at parks during day and then heading to the resort mid-afternoon once the room is ready to get the luggage delivered, then head back out for evening activities.
Ok, you guys helped convince me!
I like your plan as long as you can start with two days at AKL. I've done 5 hotels on a 12 day split stay with no problem. You will most likely not be able to have your luggage delivered until at least 4pm, and you must be in your room when it is delivered. Enjoy your trip!

I like your plan as long as you can start with two days at AKL. I've done 5 hotels on a 12 day split stay with no problem. You will most likely not be able to have your luggage delivered until at least 4pm, and you must be in your room when it is delivered. Enjoy your trip!
I think my tentative plan is:
Arrival day-MDE to AKL (coming from west coast so won't arrive until late afternoon/early evening), hang at AKL that night
Day 1: AK most of day; unsure yet if I will do evening there or not. Even though AK is my favorite park, I am spending more time there in March, so may defer for other experiences in December.
Day 2: check out of AKL, probably do Epcot that day; check into BWI afternoon.
Days 3,4,5: spend time at Epcot, DHS, DS; actual parks and schedules may depend on CP narrators.
Day 6: check out of BWI, head to MK for day; afternoon check into WL, evening at WL and Fort Wilderness. Depending on times, maybe back to MK for HEA? Though I may see it 2x in my "short" weekend March trip, so may be able to skip.
Day 7: MK and MVMCP
Day 8: USO? Unsure about that; it'll depend on the Harry Potter Christmas stuff this year.
Day 9: unsure about morning, leave that afternoon

I'm also going to be attempting to rent DVC points at some of these, so I will have a better idea in January (11-month mark)!

I think my tentative plan is:
Arrival day-MDE to AKL (coming from west coast so won't arrive until late afternoon/early evening), hang at AKL that night
Day 1: AK most of day; unsure yet if I will do evening there or not. Even though AK is my favorite park, I am spending more time there in March, so may defer for other experiences in December.
Day 2: check out of AKL, probably do Epcot that day; check into BWI afternoon.
Days 3,4,5: spend time at Epcot, DHS, DS; actual parks and schedules may depend on CP narrators.
Day 6: check out of BWI, head to MK for day; afternoon check into WL, evening at WL and Fort Wilderness. Depending on times, maybe back to MK for HEA? Though I may see it 2x in my "short" weekend March trip, so may be able to skip.
Day 7: MK and MVMCP
Day 8: USO? Unsure about that; it'll depend on the Harry Potter Christmas stuff this year.
Day 9: unsure about morning, leave that afternoon

I'm also going to be attempting to rent DVC points at some of these, so I will have a better idea in January (11-month mark)!
Looks like you are going on quite an adventure! I hope to read all about it one day.

I or we have done a 5 split once and I loved it. We did 3 days each at poly,by,WL,AKL and CR. This year in May we did a three way split, GF, BRV and WL. In Jan we will do a 2 way split POR and POFQ.

In Jan I would do a different split but DDSays no she does not like deluxe so I finally convinced her to try at least POR.

To us we are on vacation, we usually spend 14 to 17 days, in Jan only 9 days. So we want to change pools, use different restaraunts, have different scenery. I like to see the safari at AKL but after two days, seen it let's move on. I like to relax by the lake and see the parade at night, but again two days okay seen it let's move on.

I am the type that packs light, does not need much so it is fine for me to more every few days. I can do it with DH and with youngest DD. This Jan trip is with older DD and a 21 month old DGD, it will be trying, since she does not pack light and baby in tow. So although I keep hoping to move to a deluxe for at least part, I think being right next door is at sister resorts may be the best.

You did not mention it, but I or we have a car, that is the only way we can do it, pack the car go to park, go to new resort, unpack car. I want my things when I want my things, not when Disney decides to move it hours later.

The only reason we find that it does not work is how Disney makes you plan everything so far in advance, but that does not hurt it to much. We just find we get the hotel, then we get ressies for dining, then fast pass comes up and we can not get FP for the parks we want, so we change the park, which changes the ressies, we have not changed resorts due to this but it is a bummer to be at AKL and have to go to MK, or to be at BWI and have to go to MK instead of Epcot. Dreaming of those stress free vacations again.

We do a lot of split stays. My preference is to stay at least 3 nights at each resort. We are a fairly organized family so packing up our stuff on the morning we are moving hotels is a pretty fast task. We use packing cubes and never really unpack. We only have to zip up the cubes and throw them in the luggage.

Did a 3 resort split stay a few years ago at Kidani, Poly and BC. All 3 were in DVC rooms and to tell you the truth I don't know if I'd do 3 again. We had 3 nights at Kidani, 2 at Poly and 4 at BCV. It just didn't seem like we had enough time at any of the resorts. I was especially frustrated at Kidani because we had a Savanna room that actually overlooked both Savannas at Kidani and we didn't discover the secret of having a delayed morning start to view the animals until our last day there.

The only saving grace was that transferring the luggage went seamlessly both times as it usually does. We are veterans of multiple split stays, but unless I had at least 4 nights at each I don't think I'd do 3 in one trip.

Solo is very doable. We are a party of 7 -4 adults and 3 kids we are doing 3 poly, 4 AKL and then 3 at universal RP. The luggage move part is very easy, even with a large party. It all depends how immersed you want to get in the resorts. If you are moving every couple days then once you get familiar with a resort it will be time to move. But if it helps your touring plan to be closer to the parks you want then go for it. Got to at least try it once.

I'm in the too exhausting camp. You use extra time packing/unpacking and you're "homeless" on the move days.

It’s not exhausting at all unless you make it.

We have done a few split stays and last trip we wound up doing 3 because there was no availability for our whole trip. We did: 1 Caribbean Beach, 5 Dolphin, 2 Yacht Club.

It was perfectly relaxing for us because we took some time to hang out and enjoy the resorts. We are a family of five, so solo would definitely be easier.

I split our stuff up a bit so we didn’t have so much to keep track of in each room. (Small suitcase with one day’s clothes for our first resort, pack up everything that we had already worn so we didn’t have much at our third resort, bathing suits in a separate bag so we could swim on “moving days”)

Yeah, I think I’m definitely doing it! I’m going to include plenty of resort time to enjoy the ambiance and Christmas decorations. And I’m looking forward to reducing the amount of buses I have to take! So it looks like:
AKL-2 nights
BWI (or even Beach Club, as DVC points would still save lots of money)-4 nights
WL-3 nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter