Is 8 nights too long?

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
Aloha!

We have reservations to go to Aulani in February for one of those nasty birthdays ending in zero. I have six nights booked, and did it through Disney not renting DVC points because my mother's health may require a last minute cancelation.

Disney just announced a 'buy 3 get four' night promo for the dates we'll be there. I haven't called yet to see if I can modify my reservation because I'm not sure 1. if 8 nights would be too long and 2. if I should keep the six nights and see if I can get one of them free.

Our plan is to do the Pride of America week long cruise after Aulani to make the trip from New York worthwhile. Everythng is dependent upon my mother's health. :(

I've also considered just doing the 8 days at Aulani and forgetting the cruise, but it's such a haul from New York I don't think we'll return anytime soon.

What do you think. Is 8 days too much?

Let me share what happened in our family to show how differently people view Hawaii.
We spent a week in Maui with our 18, 16, and 12 year old kids. We then flew to Oahu to spend a few days in Waikiki. As we were walking along the beach with traffic honking, our 18 year old whispered, "Next time we should spend the whole time in Maui". Minutes later the 16 year old came to me and said, "I am so glad we are finally here. I would have died if I had to spend another day in Maui".
I have not been to Aulani but have been to Oahu a few times and seen that side of the island. We prefer spending a week on the neighbor islands and a few days on Oahu. Each island has different things to do and see.
I would recommend splitting the time with Maui or the big island of Hawaii going to the Volcanoes Park and doing some snorkeling or diving.
And I WOULD NOT do the cruise on P of A. We have tried NCL twice and we think it stands for Neveragain Cruise Line because so many people say they tried them but never again. Seeing you have been on a Disney Cruise, it would be like going from a Marriot to a Days Inn.
To answer your question, some might enjoy 8 nights there; some might get bored, and some might feel they are missing out on other things on nearby islands.

I can't speak to whether or not 8 days is too long (we are going for that long) but I can tell you that you *can* modify your reservation...I called and did it the day that the promo came out. I had the discount added to my existing reservation with no problem.

8 nights is definitely not too long. We right now have 9 nights booked but may extend a couple more nights :)

I think the "too long" argument is personal. We are doing 7 nights on the big island followed by 8 on Oahu at Aulani. I have the same feeling that it is a long expensive flight and we should get the most out of it. Have you considered doing two islands instead of the cruise?

I spent 7 nights at Aulani in August. We could have stayed another 7!! We did Pearl Harbor, kayaking off site, beach days at Kailua etc and got to spend quite a bit of time at the resort. But we still felt like we didn't get to do everything we wanted to. The resort was so beautiful and relaxing that we were torn between seeing and doing things on the island and relaxing at the resort. My daughter keeps telling everyone "I can't wait to go to Hawaii again next year"! Unfortunately, she doesn't realize that we won't be affording a trip like that for a looooong time. :sad: Enjoy your trip and I hope your mom's health improves!

Thank you all for offering your thoughts. It's so helpful to get different perspectives.

Let me share what happened in our family to show how differently people view Hawaii.
We spent a week in Maui with our 18, 16, and 12 year old kids. We then flew to Oahu to spend a few days in Waikiki. As we were walking along the beach with traffic honking, our 18 year old whispered, "Next time we should spend the whole time in Maui". Minutes later the 16 year old came to me and said, "I am so glad we are finally here. I would have died if I had to spend another day in Maui".
I have not been to Aulani but have been to Oahu a few times and seen that side of the island. We prefer spending a week on the neighbor islands and a few days on Oahu. Each island has different things to do and see.
I would recommend splitting the time with Maui or the big island of Hawaii going to the Volcanoes Park and doing some snorkeling or diving.
And I WOULD NOT do the cruise on P of A. We have tried NCL twice and we think it stands for Neveragain Cruise Line because so many people say they tried them but never again. Seeing you have been on a Disney Cruise, it would be like going from a Marriot to a Days Inn.
To answer your question, some might enjoy 8 nights there; some might get bored, and some might feel they are missing out on other things on nearby islands.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I must admit that in general the reviews of Pride of America aren't great. It just seemed like an easy way to see other islands. The cabin we are looking at would be $5,000 for the week, so I suppose we could at least visit another island for that price!

I can't speak to whether or not 8 days is too long (we are going for that long) but I can tell you that you *can* modify your reservation...I called and did it the day that the promo came out. I had the discount added to my existing reservation with no problem.

:cool1: I know I should decide soon while the room is still available. Free breakfast is a bonus.

8 nights is definitely not too long. We right now have 9 nights booked but may extend a couple more nights :)

:beach: So glad to hear that if that's the way we end up going.

I think the "too long" argument is personal. We are doing 7 nights on the big island followed by 8 on Oahu at Aulani. I have the same feeling that it is a long expensive flight and we should get the most out of it. Have you considered doing two islands instead of the cruise?

I hadn't really considered the two islands, but may go that way.

Good news, I have reservastions at Ama Ama for my birthday. :yay:

I spent 7 nights at Aulani in August. We could have stayed another 7!! We did Pearl Harbor, kayaking off site, beach days at Kailua etc and got to spend quite a bit of time at the resort. But we still felt like we didn't get to do everything we wanted to. The resort was so beautiful and relaxing that we were torn between seeing and doing things on the island and relaxing at the resort. My daughter keeps telling everyone "I can't wait to go to Hawaii again next year"! Unfortunately, she doesn't realize that we won't be affording a trip like that for a looooong time. :sad: Enjoy your trip and I hope your mom's health improves!

I love your daughter's enthusiasm. We're planning to rent a car ($35/day to park :crazy2:) so we can see as much as possible.

I hate airline change fees. I have to be sure of what we're doing so I don't incur $200/person change fees.

We took the Pride of America cruise in 2008 after spending 3 days in Waikiki. We loved the cruise (and we have taken 6 DCL cruises) mostly because it acted as our hotel allowing us to tour a different island each day. I suggest you rent a car at each port and do your own thing on each island. We are thinking of doing the cruise again because we had so much fun and perhaps also trying Aulani.

Denise

We took the Pride of America cruise in 2008 after spending 3 days in Waikiki. We loved the cruise (and we have taken 6 DCL cruises) mostly because it acted as our hotel allowing us to tour a different island each day. I suggest you rent a car at each port and do your own thing on each island. We are thinking of doing the cruise again because we had so much fun and perhaps also trying Aulani.

Denise

I'm so glad you posted. I think deep down I really want to take the cruise, even though the reviews have been less than stellar. Last year we did a Princess cruise to Alaska and loved it, so I'm trying to recapture that excitement.

I see you're from Massachusetts. How did you fly? From where I live it looks like it would be Albany to Chicago then non-stop to Honolulu on United. I REALLY don't like United's change fees (had to pay them last year when our Alaaska trip got postponed), but seems to be the best bet. I'm thinking of getting a United credit card to at least avoid baggage fees. (I love flying Southest non-stop to Disney!)

I have never been to Hawaii but my in-laws have been going yearly for a while. My DH went and spent a week with them in Maui a couple of years ago. Knowing their experiences, and knowing that if I ever went it would probably be a one time thing because we too live in the Northeast, I would want to see as much of the islands as I could. I am sure Aulani is lovely but there are so much unique things to see on the different islands.

I'm so glad you posted. I think deep down I really want to take the cruise, even though the reviews have been less than stellar. Last year we did a Princess cruise to Alaska and loved it, so I'm trying to recapture that excitement. I see you're from Massachusetts. How did you fly? From where I live it looks like it would be Albany to Chicago then non-stop to Honolulu on United. I REALLY don't like United's change fees (had to pay them last year when our Alaaska trip got postponed), but seems to be the best bet. I'm thinking of getting a United credit card to at least avoid baggage fees. (I love flying Southest non-stop to Disney!)

We did the Pride of America cruise a few years ago and loved it. The PoA gets some negative reviews, but you just have to go in with proper expectations. The crew was uniformly friendly and enthusiastic, but maybe not as polished as some of the international crews that have many years of experience. The crews are unionized American workers, so when the shift ends, their work stops, whether they are done or not. This is most noticeable in cabin service. The rooms are small, but the ship overall is beautiful. It just had a multiple-million dollar refurbishment. Having the ability to visit Maui, the Big Island and Kauai is definitely worth the consideration. The dining options are extensive-we had a different dining locale each night. You'll get a taste of the islands, which might help you decide next visit where you want to stay longer.

I also don't think that 8 days at Aulani is too much, as long as you are aware that you are going to the quieter side of the island.

:woohoo: Update

I called yesterday to see if we would be able to extend our six night stay with two free nights. Our reservation is for the Sunday at the end of Presidents' Week so I didn't know if Friday and Saturday nights would be available. (My understanding is that President's Week is more popular in the northeast than other parts of the country, but wanted to make sure.)

I found out two things. Yes, I could extend for two nights and that it includes breakfast every day. The promo said two free breakfasts so I thought it meant during the course of your four night stay you would get two breakfasts. It actually means each day you get free breakfasts for two people.

So, I went ahead and made the change. (I was just planning to call for information, but the cancelation policy seems generous enough that I wanted to lock in the two nights and then change later if necessary.) Now we'll be staying two more nights with free breakfast every day in the Ulu Cafe. I think it will be a pretty basic breakfast at Ulu Cafe, but at least we're not paying Hawaiian prices for it.

Maybe getting a year older won't be so bad after all!

I have never been to Hawaii but my in-laws have been going yearly for a while. My DH went and spent a week with them in Maui a couple of years ago. Knowing their experiences, and knowing that if I ever went it would probably be a one time thing because we too live in the Northeast, I would want to see as much of the islands as I could. I am sure Aulani is lovely but there are so much unique things to see on the different islands.

Wow, I can't believe your in-laws go every year. I tell my husband it will either be our only trip or we'll buy DVC and get the once a year bug, too.

We've each been to Hawaii before, but many moons ago in our single days.

We did the Pride of America cruise a few years ago and loved it. The PoA gets some negative reviews, but you just have to go in with proper expectations. The crew was uniformly friendly and enthusiastic, but maybe not as polished as some of the international crews that have many years of experience. The crews are unionized American workers, so when the shift ends, their work stops, whether they are done or not. This is most noticeable in cabin service. The rooms are small, but the ship overall is beautiful. It just had a multiple-million dollar refurbishment. Having the ability to visit Maui, the Big Island and Kauai is definitely worth the consideration. The dining options are extensive-we had a different dining locale each night. You'll get a taste of the islands, which might help you decide next visit where you want to stay longer.

I also don't think that 8 days at Aulani is too much, as long as you are aware that you are going to the quieter side of the island.

Thanks for your input on both Pride of America and our extended stay. I haven't made the cruise reservations yet, keep hoping for a price drop as the date gets closer.

:woohoo: Update

So, I went ahead and made the change. (I was just planning to call for information, but the cancelation policy seems generous enough that I wanted to lock in the two nights and then change later if necessary.) Now we'll be staying two more nights with free breakfast every day in the Ulu Cafe. I think it will be a pretty basic breakfast at Ulu Cafe, but at least we're not paying Hawaiian prices for it.

Maybe getting a year older won't be so bad after all!

So excited for you! We stayed at Aulani for 10 nights this summer and loved it. My teen and tween didn't want to leave! (Well, none of us wanted to leave, really.) Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter