Irish Potatoes

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
I was a bit taken aback when I found out that some (many?) people never heard of these.

The candy, not the tuber. They contain no potato. There are different ways to make them, and most contain cream cheese, powdered sugar, coconut, vanilla extract, sometimes butter. They're rolled in cinnamon to resemble tiny potatoes.

Popular around St. Patrick's Day but also sold year round. There are some packaged mass produced brands, but the best ones are either homemade or from local candy shops.

Buying these is usually the only homage I make to St. Patrick's Day.

I was a bit taken aback when I found out that some (many?) people never heard of these.

The candy, not the tuber. They contain no potato. There are different ways to make them, and most contain cream cheese, powdered sugar, coconut, vanilla extract, sometimes butter. They're rolled in cinnamon to resemble tiny potatoes.

Popular around St. Patrick's Day but also sold year round. There are some packaged mass produced brands, but the best ones are either homemade or from local candy shops.

Buying these is usually the only homage I make to St. Patrick's Day.

View attachment 480912

View attachment 480913

Not every Philly product gets to be as well known and over rated as cheesesteaks.

I'm from Baltimore and my Aunt makes them. I forget what she calls them but not Irish Potatoes. Personally I find them way too sweet.

Never seen those before, but they sound tasty. Does anyone have a good recipe to share? We are stuck at home and bored already.

Sorry, I have no recipe to recommend. I've made them 3 or 4 times in the past but didn't save the recipe(s). There are plenty online. You'll likely find something that appeals to you.

I grew up in the South but never heard of or saw Irish potatoes until I moved to the Northeast in the early ‘80s. I can take them or leave them which means I like them, but not enough to buy or make them for myself. I haven’t had any in several years.

The markets in my area all carry them. I love buying them for 75% off on March 18th :D I remember reading the ingredients long ago and being the first time coming across 'inverted sugar'. I was like, "What the heck, how do you invert sugar?!" lol

I've never heard of Irish Potatoes, either, but I grew up eating TastyKakes. We never had them in the midwest, but every year we would visit relatives in Pennsylvania and enjoyed them there. We also took some home to put in the freezer and ration out. Since Flowers Food (owner of Tastykake) bought out Hostess, they seem to be merging the products into Hostess-like snacks. I refuse to try them, since I never liked Hostess. IMO Little Debbie was always superior to Hostess, but neither held a candle to TastyKake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter