Ireland - How much time *really* on your own?

Wonders10

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

My mom, niece and I are doing the Emerald Isles adventure in June of 2009. I know on the itinerary it gives us an idea of the time we have, like saying dinner on your own, etc. But how much time really do you have to tour the town and be away from the group at the different stops? I want to have a good idea so I can be realistic in what we can see on our own during that time.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

My mom, niece and I are doing the Emerald Isles adventure in June of 2009. I know on the itinerary it gives us an idea of the time we have, like saying dinner on your own, etc. But how much time really do you have to tour the town and be away from the group at the different stops? I want to have a good idea so I can be realistic in what we can see on our own during that time.

Thanks!

Shannon,

You pretty much have from 4pm (earlier in some cases!) and after to yourselves on the nights you have dinner on your own. The most free time we had was in Killarney. We were there for 3 nights and two nights were dinner on your own. The evening we had dinner at Menton's, we had from 1:30-5:30pm to do what we pleased and more time after dinner. We had lots of time to explore Killarney.

We arrived in Dublin on a Friday morning for two pre-nights and didn't meet our group until 5pm Sunday night to we had plenty of time to explore Dublin. Dinner that night was not long, maybe an hour and a half because of all the weary travellers so we still had the evening to explore. On Monday, we got back to the hotel around 3pm. The afternoon tour to Trinity College was optional which last about an hour or so and our evening was free.

We hardly had any free time at the castle, just a couple of hours each day - wish we had more - there was soo much to do and see there! If we ever go back, I would be sure to do a post night at the castle!

Hi Poppins,
Was there a lot to do on the castle grounds itself?

Well...there was an indoor heated pool, a Spa (with a large outdoor hot tub - you didn't have to get a spa treatment to use...), sauna, steam room and gym, golf, tennis (they provided the racquets and balls free of charge), archery, fishing and boating on their lake, bike riding, clay shooting, horseback riding, walking trails..we heard their afternoon tea was wonderful (wished we had time to partake!) - LOTS to do!!!:flower1:

Thanks so much for that info...just what I was looking for.

We are coming in a day early so I figure we will have 2 full days in Dublin before meeting the group for dinner. And we are doing one post-night at the castle! I am so looking forward to that part...finally I will be sleeping in a castle!

As far as our free day at the castle, is it within walking distance of any small towns...or is there transportation available? Like something semi-close by to do that isn't on the castle grounds?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for that info...just what I was looking for.

We are coming in a day early so I figure we will have 2 full days in Dublin before meeting the group for dinner. And we are doing one post-night at the castle! I am so looking forward to that part...finally I will be sleeping in a castle!

As far as our free day at the castle, is it within walking distance of any small towns...or is there transportation available? Like something semi-close by to do that isn't on the castle grounds?

Thanks!

You aren't within walking distance of any towns that I know off - the estate is huge! I don't recall anything being nearby other that Bunratty Castle - (about a 10 minute drive - which you will have dinner at the first night of your castle stay). Shannon is a 15-20 minute drive away. I remember while researching for this trip, that we decided not to stay a post night for there was nothing close by to the Castle. Had I only spent more time researching the Castle, I would have found there was plenty to do and we could have had a relaxing day there before our trip home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter