iPhone instructions for WiFi

polyenthusiast

Earning My Ears
We recently were on a 3 day and purchased the middle WiFi package. I found I ran through about 1/2 of our data in a 10 minute span on my iPhone AFTER I thought I had already turned all of the usual data gobbling functions off. The staff were quick to try to help and even gave back some of the data that I used.

My question is if anyone knows of a good checklist/simple instructions for what to turn off on the iPhone so this doesn’t happen. I didn’t find the handout on board all that helpful. Thanks in advance!

I turn off everything. Go to your settings and turn off WiFi, Bluetooth and put your phone on airplane mode. I also turn cellular data off. Also be sure to turn roaming off. Other than that make sure every app is closed and go to the app under your settings and turn off background app refresh and use your location.

I turn off everything. Go to your settings and turn off WiFi, Bluetooth and put your phone on airplane mode. I also turn cellular data off. Also be sure to turn roaming off. Other than that make sure every app is closed and go to the app under your settings and turn off background app refresh and use your location.
But if you turn off WiFi how do you use the ship’s WiFi? I still want to use it, just don’t want anything running that wastes it.

Op, I had the same problem. I had absolutely everything on my iPhone turned off and ran thru the data package in no time. We just wanted to use it for messaging and emails, nothing else. I can’t imagine being able to surf the web or download movies with their onboard WiFi. It was basically useless for us.

Happend to me too, unfortunately the cast member couldn’t help me... he gave me some suggestions en instructions for next time, but I forgot..

But if you turn off WiFi how do you use the ship’s WiFi? I still want to use it, just don’t want anything running that wastes it.
I just turn on the WiFi when I need it. The thing is, if you’re using it to check email when you fetch or push new data, you are using data even if you don’t open your email because it’s using data to load to your phone. If you aren’t using email make sure all your accounts are set to manual so it doesn’t automatically fetch or push it to your phone.

We recently were on a 3 day and purchased the middle WiFi package. I found I ran through about 1/2 of our data in a 10 minute span on my iPhone AFTER I thought I had already turned all of the usual data gobbling functions off. The staff were quick to try to help and even gave back some of the data that I used.

My question is if anyone knows of a good checklist/simple instructions for what to turn off on the iPhone so this doesn’t happen. I didn’t find the handout on board all that helpful. Thanks in advance!

Following. On our last cruise I was able to make the free 50 MB intro package last the whole cruise. But honestly, I don't remember what I did well enough to think I could do it again......forget explaining someone else. I do remember that I had my phone on airplane mode basically the whole time, Then in the evenings I would turn it on and just send a quick check in text to my family and only open emails that seemed important. Then back into airplane mode again very quickly.

Make sure your icloud backup is turned off. Every time I took a picture, it was copied to the icloud whereby using up all my wifi. The dcl tech onboard helped me with this and then the free 50 lasted me the whole week.

CM told me to put my phone in low battery mode and then would not do any refreshes or fetches, without me activation. My first time I went through my 50 free MB in one day and mostly because I left the connect@sea page active.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wish there was a summary sheet with all of the tips for the iPhone!

Make sure your icloud backup is turned off. Every time I took a picture, it was copied to the icloud whereby using up all my wifi. The dcl tech onboard helped me with this and then the free 50 lasted me the whole week.

This. It's best to just sign out of iCloud completely while you're on the cruise, as it can use up a lot of data for its various functions, like backups & picture syncing.

I know I saw a thread here one time with comprehensive instructions at least for the iOS devices but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wish there was a summary sheet with all of the tips for the iPhone!
At the internet help desk onboard, they did have printed instruction sheets. One for iPhone and another for Android. I thought I had take a picture of them but apparently not :-(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter